“Great Italian food--40 years ago”

Moretti's Restaurant
Ranked #53 of 109 Restaurants in Elmira
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Upstate NY
“Great Italian food--40 years ago”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Another reviewer said nothing has changed in 40 years. Very true. The decor is dark and worn out. Two chairs at our table had ripped vinyl seats. Our waitress was very friendly and competent. We asked for their signature dish and she replied, "Steaks," but we had come for Italian food and ordered lasagna. Mistake. The food would have been considered a great Italian meal in the 1970's. By today's standards, not so much. My husband ordered a Caesar salad and got brown Romaine lettuce, black olives and creamy Italian dressing. The lasagna was pasty and the sauce was very bland but salty. All in all, the meal was not worth $81 with tip for three people. I would look for alternatives in the area.
This restaurant has been in business since 1917, but I question whether it will be open by 2017.

• Visited September 2013
4 Thank ResidentDinosaur

“Still great food but needs major overhaul/renovations/cleaning”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I love Moretti's food -- best steak around, although the prices have gone quite sky high. We went for an intimate wedding reception and they had forgotten to prepare the private room. Once seated our waitress was wonderful and attentive. Beyond that, the furniture, chairs, rugs, overall restaurant really is quite run down and dirty. The steak was still fabulous and you can't beat the greens and beans but sad to see it so run down.

• Visited September 2013
Springfield, New Jersey
“Consistent and Good”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I had read some reviews of Moretti's stating that it hasn't changed in forty years. I would say that is a plus. The area in which it is located is not great, but the food is very good and the service very friendly. I had a simple meal of spaghetti and sausage and the sauce was fabulous and the pasta cooked perfectly. It was a massive serving, but they are used to wrapping things.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank steve f
Elmira, NY
“Great Filets”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

When we want a filet, we always go to Moretti's - great steaks made to order, priced a little high but worth it!

Visited August 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Still good steaks but not what it used to be”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

It's been awhile since I've been there, but Moretti's used to be one of the best eateries in the Twin Tiers. While they still serve a top-notch filet, their landmark Italian food had gone downhill. I'm wondering if it's under new ownership? Back in the early to mid-1990s, this was flat out the best Italian restaurant in Elmira, N.Y. They don't make their marinara daily anymore, and their desserts seem like they come out of a box. I was disappointed but gave my visit and average review because the steak I had was ver good.

• Visited October 2012