“One of my best hotel experiences period.”

Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Elmsford
Eugene, Oregon
“One of my best hotel experiences period.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel recently and am very happy with my visit.
This review is going to be quite extensive, so if you want to save time, skip down to ---THE BREAKDOWN--- for a much more succinct review.

First off, the Hampton Inn White Plains/Tarrytown is a lower-end hotel about 3 miles east of Tarrytwon NY. I say lower-end in that it’s well above any motel, but still a ways from a Hilton or Marriot. Despite that, this particular hotel is definitely not a no-frills place. I knew that coming in, and was still happily surprised by what was offered. The location is reasonably good, right along White Plains Rd, a main thoroughfare and within very good distance of several small towns and a short train ride from New York City. Being near a business park, it is also great for those staying in the area on business, which I myself was not. The hotel is situated on a small hill and the parking lot seems like it would be tough to negotiate in the winter. If possible, I suggest sticking with public transportation, which is widely available and affordable if you plan ahead. If you do, I strongly suggest keeping some cash on hand for the occasional taxi ride.
The hotel itself is nicely designed. I visited in January of 2012, and so I wasn’t able to see the pool, but every other amenity was available. The area in front of the entrance is nicely designed, but the stairs in front make it a little difficult if you have a large or heavy bag. The wheelchair ramp is off to the side and slightly inconvenient, but not especially so. The lobby is of a basic, modern design and throughout my stay, was immaculate. The only time I was able to find a stain was when I actively looked for one, and even then it was difficult. The check-in process was quick, without seeming rushed and the staff was very friendly and accommodating, a trend that continued throughout my time there.
The lobby had a small self-serve coffee bar that was available at all hours of the day, as opposed to just early in the morning. The lounge area is adjacent to the main lobby and has several padded chairs and couches, a few televisions and a few tables for use during the complimentary breakfast. The breakfast is available from 6am to 10am and is substantial for being complimentary. Additionally, the available food does change somewhat from day to day, which was a very pleasant surprise. Right next to the front desk is a small, but well stocked store with snack foods, microwavable meals and basic sundries. It’s worth noting that a lot of basic needs items are also available for free at the front desk too.
A small gym is available on the first floor and is very well equipped with both cardio machines and a small weight rack. The gym also has several televisions, including a few installed in the treadmills and headphones for privacy while watching. The hotel also has a few conference rooms which were often in use, but of which I didn’t get to see much. A small business center with one computer and a fax/printer was in the main lobby area which was particularly convenient, but with only one computer could be problematic.
The room I stayed in was nice, very clean and fresh smelling. The only notable issue was that the room had no drawers or cabinetry, with the exception of the nightstands. There is a closet and a shelf at the top of the closet, but for those who like to thoroughly unpack, it could be difficult. Another lacking issue was that none of the rooms have either a refrigerator or microwave, which would have been of great convenience. A microwave is available downstairs in the lobby convenience store though. The bedding was pristine and the furnishings were clean and in good condition. The television was quite new and offered a wide variety of audio/visual hookups including VGA input for computer connections. The rooms also came with a lap-desk which actually ended up being very useful in my case.
The only aspect of the hotel that I was particularly upsetting was the internet access. I personally like to bring my own Cat 5 chord because LAN connections are generally less problematic. However, this hotel doesn’t offer LAN connections in their rooms. The wireless access for me was a bit of a problem (though I’m sure it was an issue on my part), and so I opted for the free wireless adapter available from the front desk. The kind available was big and bulky and generally kind of annoying. The adapter worked well enough though. The internet speed was kind of slow for me throughout the trip, but that may have been due to high bandwidth use since the hotel was heavily occupied at the time. In all, the issue was just an annoyance at worst and still worked for me as well as I needed.
As mentioned before, the hotel offers a very substantial and complimentary breakfast, but aside from the small snack store, there is no real dining options within the hotel itself. The general area is littered with great places to eat and the majority of places offer delivery options. However, the only restaurant that is especially close is a small diner called The Eldorado Diner, about a quarter mile down the street. The Eldorado is a standard 24-hour diner with a wide variety of food and very reasonable prices. Additionally, there’s a list of local restaurants in the information binder (though during my stay, it was a bit out-of-date).

---THE BREAKDOWN---
I’ve stayed in the area three times in recent history and this was by far my best experience. The location is good and allows for easy travel by public transport and (I assume) by car. The hotel itself is in fantastic condition and is kept very clean. All the staff I saw and spoke with were very friendly and helpful and even conversational. Several amenities make the stay more convenient and many of which are better than one would expect for a hotel of this price. Most certainly, more could be done and there are hotels that offer more conveniences, but for the price and the location, there are few if any hotels that I have seen that can beat this one. Final word, all things considered, quite possibly the best hotel experience I’ve ever had. If you’re used to higher-end hotels, you might be disappointed, but not necessarily. If you’re looking for a good, easy place to stay in the area, this is a great place for individuals or families.

Room Tip: View on the rear of the building isn't especially nice (unless it snows).
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brad S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Pune
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

I stayed here for a week , service provided in this hotel was par excellence specially John who was always available to help all the guests, I being his compatriot had the opportunity to know him in person.John if you read this review, pls do call me when you are in Pune and also send me an e-mail at vivek.palvia@gmail.com

Room Tip: Look for a back facing room, Front facing rooms may have disturbance due to a busy highway
Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Tarrytown, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

I have stayed for 6 nights at the Hampton Inn in the last week and before (in Jan 2012). I must say that I was really impressed with all the guidance & help from John throughout my stay. John and the entire staff including the shuttle driver worked in unison to provide me a good experience. John has also helped me with all the little things that I really needed being new to this place. Be it guiding me to go over to some places or letting me know the best way to commute around the city.

- Selvaraj Thottikalai

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank T S
Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night in January 2012. The room was new, clean and very spacious. the beds were comfortable and the staff was very nice. The breakfast in the morning was outstanding! would definatly stay again

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Orange Co. CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

Good size rooms at a reasonable rate. I arrived later in the evening and the desk staff was very pleasant and welcoming. There are no dining options available at or within walking distance of the hotel - also no beer or wine sold in the little guest shop. If you are hungry or want a drink, you will need to arrange to be shuttled to a location nearby. Rooms were standard and clean. I went to NY the next day and, as another reviewer mentions, its VERY easy to get to the train station in White Plains (about 10 min away) and catch one of the many trains to NY. Do check the schedule tho - some make lots of stops while others are express (http://www.mta.info/mnr/) Round trip (during-off-peak-non-rush-hour) is around $14. I didn't partake of the lobby breakfast - but the coffee station by the front desk was welcomed!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are right up against a nice wooded area.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank smontague2868
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

A great place to stay as soon as I walked in I was greeted by Matteo he was such a kind and professional young man every hotel need someone like him. The rest of the staff was also very kind and accommodating would definitely recommend to others

• Stayed December 2011
Hilton NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

Clean and convenient with nice, helpful staff. But, there is absolutely no place to put your things. There are no dressers, no drawers on the desk, and no stand to hold your luggage. Even the TV stand was sealed shut. I had to put my underwear in the 12 inch by 4 inch deep drawer in the side table that stored the Bible. I removed the Bible, of course, as it would have been disrespectful to have it covered with my undies - that also freed up 40 cubic inches of valuable storage space.
What were they thinking? Are they trying to discourage people from staying more than one night?
If you are thinking of a stay longer than one night, plan on using your car trunk as a closet.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmsford
Courtyard Tarrytown Greenburgh
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
SpringHill Suites Tarrytown Greenburgh
Westchester Marriott
Westchester Marriott
#5 of 7 in Tarrytown
Extended Stay America - White Plains - Elmsford

Been to Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown? Share your experiences!