“OK - needs better grooming”
Review of Toggenburg

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Visited February 2012. In Upstate, NY you would expect great conditions this time of the year but this year everyone is hurting because of the lack of snow. Toggenburg is no exception. The day we went they got a few inches which helped but the underlayer was pretty bad. Buuuummmmppppyyy if you get my meaning. They had two double and one triple chairs going along with a small rope tow. The day before they had warm temps so it made the hill underneath the new snow very hard to ski. It softened a little by the end of the day but I do know some smaller ski hills doing great jobs besides the conditions. We visited Woods Valley in Western and they are doing a great job of grooming which the skiing was much better. Some resorts I think like Snow Ridge in Turin have given up on the season. They closed half their hills on the South side and the hills they are running aren't worth writing about. I know this is a very bad winter to judge any ski resort but you can still see and feel the difference.

Back to Tog - Parking was good - we arrived 9am and was about 50 yards from their front. It looked like they were already skiing before 9am. The terrain park is nice and has some fun features. The only thing I didn't like was their was a lot of people cutting you off and not being very courteous but again, that one is hard to blame the resort. Also, there were kids filming everywhere and some would set-up right in front of jumps or near landing areas making it difficult to play on them. I didn't see many ski patrols and that could have been part of it also. We seen some great programs going on there. It looks like they do a program for disabled skiiers and I saw one ski patrol literally carrying a boy so he could feel the joy of skiing. It looked tough for that man but boy, it was great to see someone doing that for another human being. I hope the boy had the time of his life. God bless them.

Overall it is hard to judge a ski resort with the lousy conditions we have this year. The staff was nice. We enjoyed the day as usual and ate some good food (Buffalo chicken soup and a hamburg with a drink $8 ) in their cafeteria. Seating was hard to find since they had a ski race and they took up all the seating but we managed.

We will try Toggenburg again someday but we probably won't be in a big hurry since there are several other medium sized resorts in that area.

Oh - we missed the "Golden Chair" by one chair on our final run - my son was bummed. Maybe next time!

ejhickey47, Owner at Toggenburg, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2014

There are two reviews one called terrible and one called needs grooming Both these reviews have nothing to do with the Foggy Goggle they pertain to Toggenburg Mountain and are lowering my rating I feel if you had read them before you approved the post you would have notice this . Please review and let me know .We are very happy to inform you we will be linking our Facebook to trip advisor and i am applying for widgets

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Arriving at 6:30 you will still be able to get a table. Within 1/2 hr it was full with a line! We were a group of 10 and made a reservation ahead. The atmosphere is ski lodge...because that's what it is! Large windows on one side offer the view of the skiers...lovely at night too! The bar is well stocked with local microbrewery beer and local wines to more popular brands. Our food was very delicious. It was held in the kitchen so we could all be served at once. Unfortunately, some meals were not as hot as they should have been. My fried fish was hot, but my friends meal was not. On certain evenings they have live entertainment. Best to call ahead or visit their website.

1  Thank MsKarenNY