“Blue Cactus leaves a thorn in my side!”
Review of Blue Cactus Mexican Grille - CLOSED

Blue Cactus Mexican Grille
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Easily the absolute worst meal i have ever had! The decor and atmosphere were nice but the food was severely lacking! The Ceviche was warm, the pork tacos tasted like South Carolina style pulled pork barbecue. The salsa tasted like it came out of a can. It seems the owner is focused more on being trendy and having a pretty place rather than focusing on the food. To add insult to injury the prices are ridiculously high, 3 dishes of salsa and chips(yes they charge for the chips and salsa $8 for 3 small dishes) 4 pork tacos 1 beef taco and ceviche was $45, which wouldn't be bad if the food was good. I have eaten Mexican food extensively in Mexico ,Texas and many places in NY and have never been this disappointed. If you want Mexican look elsewhere there are many better options within a short drive. I have had much better food from taco trucks in texas

2  Thank Don G

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Mexican food is so much more than tacos. This place has the best mole, empanadas, and the guacamole is out of this world! Love the sopapillas. Hopefully Rochestarians can appreciate real Mexican food.

Reviewed 19 March 2013 via mobile

We were a little skeptical based upon the mixed reviews but were pleasantly surprised on how very good Blue Cactus was! We moved here 8 months ago from outside of NYC and have been looking for some good Mexican ever since. This place is much better than Itacate an Monte Alban. Everything is homemade, including the tortilla chips. The atmosphere is very colorful, clean and inviting. I had a traditional margarita and it was reasonably priced ($7) and not syrupy or overly sweet- just right. We tried the guacamole an salsa. Yes you pay $3 for chips and salsa but wait until they bring it before complaining. Chips are made daily so crunchy and fresh. We tried the Loca salsa. Definite has some kick but well balanced. We would go back just for Margaritas, chips and salsa. We both had tacos that we very good, fresh and hot. Service was excellent with the waitress checking on us regularly and refilling water constantly. This place will definitely be our new regular Mexican spot.

TIP: Tuesday night is $2 Taco Tueadays. So you can get either a Mushroom, Chicken, Beef or Pork Taco for $2 ea.

Reviewed 9 March 2013

We visited Blue Cactus for dinner tonight. This not our first visit to this place; we come here every few months, and enjoy the food.

One thing that might bother some folks is that the corn chips and salsa are not complementary at this restaurant; they are a charge item. I don't mind this, and the chips are very good here, but you should know this before you ask for them. (And, unlike many places, even the "medium" heat salsa does have a nice zing to them!)

I was glad to see that a few dished featuring shrimp have made it back onto their menu, as they sort of disappeared for a little while. I had the shrimp tacos, which were very tasty, accompanied by some refired beans, saffron rice, and sauces. It was a very nice dish! My wife had a fish dish that was topped with a LOT of garlic. She enjoyed it, but could not finish the whole plate, as portion sizes tend to be on the large size here!

I was sorry to report that this visit did not rate a '5' star rating, only a '4.' That was because the service, which we normally love, just didn't cut it, and for a very unusual reason. We ended up with a waitress, whose name I will leave out. (It started with an 'A.') She was prompt, and fairly attentive, But she just had ZERO desire to even appear that she wanted to be there. She never smiled once, never tried to interact with us at all, and didn't really even establish eye contact with us once. It was as though she considered her presence in our meal to be completely tangential, which was really strange. We all noticed it. It was like a sterile meal from the service side. Plus, she wore WAAAAYYYY too much perfume...it blocked out the scent of the food when she came to the table. I really don't care about the perfume, but her performance as our service waitress was far from adequate. (I left only a 17% tip, which is far beneath my normal 22-24%.)

It was still a nice meal in a great little restaurant, and we will come back for future visits.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

When entering the Blue Cactus Mexican Grill in Fairport, NY, it felt like a transformation in atmosphere from the more than ten times I had visited Mexico. The colors, photographs, and atmosphere had the Mexican ambiance I have missed since being there last.
The menu choices went from appetizers to desserts, of course, and if anything needed further explaining, the wait staff surely knew their dishes and how they are made by Chef Eduardo, one of the owners.
Our appetizers ranged from soup made from squash (soupa galabaza), guacamole to empanadas to nachos and cerviche. We ordered margarita's which were designed exclusively by their bartender, and the Blue Cactus has become famous for, as well.
And I can see why. If I wasn't driving, I would have ordered a couple more!
Within seven minutes, our appetizers arrives, plated beautifully and they were as delicious as I had remembered the food to be in Mexico. We all tasted each other's orders, wanting the delicious flavors to linger longer in our mouths, and closing our eyes, envious of each others choices, while being selfishly protective of our own.
The wait staff was attentive while we enjoyed our appetizers, which didn't last long because of how delicious they were, and as they cleared our table from those, asked what we enjoyed the most. "All of them," we laughed as we were almost synchronized in our answers.
For dinner, we ordered chicken enchiladas, shrimp tacos, which can be prepared gluten free, as well as other choices that can be also, steak fajitas, pescado al mojo de ajo, veracuz (who can resist those?), and Philly Cheese steak quesadilla.
The plating was done beautifully, the rice mimicking the pyramids of Mexico, the sauces individually plated, and the colors of food on each dish only added to the superb flavors of their origins.
After asking to meet Chef Eduardo, who is from Chiapas, Mexico, he came toour table smiling with delight that we so enjoyed our meals. Though my mother and I were full, my children ordered flan and Mexican lime pie, which after seeing them, I could not resist a taste of each, not caring that my stomach could probably hold no more.
The Blue Cactus Mexican Grille has a fun and friendly atmosphere, authentic and absolutely delicious food, a wonderful and warm staff, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys real Mexican food. Delicioso!!!!