“Mexican food at it's best, even with food allergies!”
Review of Blue Cactus Mexican Grille - CLOSED

Blue Cactus Mexican Grille
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Churchville, New York
“Mexican food at it's best, even with food allergies!”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My daughter and I eat at this restaurant almost every Saturday afternoon because they special make a vegetarian fahita salad that is the best I have ever eaten. They make their own salsa (3 kinds) and bean salsa and chios you can buy and take home. The manager and his wife are from Mexico and the food IS authientic, not TEX MEX! They make homemade cilantro sour cream dressing! The cook makes special orders on request. My daughter has food allergies, yet the cook was able to make what she wanted without foods that she is allergic to and it still tasted great! If you want to "have it your way" eat at this restaurant. You won't get this taste anywhere else!

• Visited August 2013

buffalo, ny
“I can only comment on the fish tacos”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Never had fish tacos before and my date recommended them. They were very good, I would go back again just to order them. You get 3 served with shredded cabbage, salsa, refried
black beans, crema agria and rice for $15. My date had the VERACRUZ Platanos with crema agria, bean salad sope, rajas empanada served with Mexican rice and refried black turtle beans for $12. She wanted to try something different but I would pass on that one myself. We also had margaritas, they were pretty good, $6 each. Nice location, great for a walk along the canal afterwards. A lot going on down there.

• Visited July 2013
Macedon, New York, United States
“Blue Cactus leaves a thorn in my side!”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Easily the absolute worst meal i have ever had! The decor and atmosphere were nice but the food was severely lacking! The Ceviche was warm, the pork tacos tasted like South Carolina style pulled pork barbecue. The salsa tasted like it came out of a can. It seems the owner is focused more on being trendy and having a pretty place rather than focusing on the food. To add insult to injury the prices are ridiculously high, 3 dishes of salsa and chips(yes they charge for the chips and salsa $8 for 3 small dishes) 4 pork tacos 1 beef taco and ceviche was $45, which wouldn't be bad if the food was good. I have eaten Mexican food extensively in Mexico ,Texas and many places in NY and have never been this disappointed. If you want Mexican look elsewhere there are many better options within a short drive. I have had much better food from taco trucks in texas

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Don G
Penfield, New York
“SOOOO GOOD!!!”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Mexican food is so much more than tacos. This place has the best mole, empanadas, and the guacamole is out of this world! Love the sopapillas. Hopefully Rochestarians can appreciate real Mexican food.

Visited April 2013
Rye, NY
“Pleasantly Surprise! Great homemade Mexican.”
Reviewed 19 March 2013 via mobile

We were a little skeptical based upon the mixed reviews but were pleasantly surprised on how very good Blue Cactus was! We moved here 8 months ago from outside of NYC and have been looking for some good Mexican ever since. This place is much better than Itacate an Monte Alban. Everything is homemade, including the tortilla chips. The atmosphere is very colorful, clean and inviting. I had a traditional margarita and it was reasonably priced ($7) and not syrupy or overly sweet- just right. We tried the guacamole an salsa. Yes you pay $3 for chips and salsa but wait until they bring it before complaining. Chips are made daily so crunchy and fresh. We tried the Loca salsa. Definite has some kick but well balanced. We would go back just for Margaritas, chips and salsa. We both had tacos that we very good, fresh and hot. Service was excellent with the waitress checking on us regularly and refilling water constantly. This place will definitely be our new regular Mexican spot.

TIP: Tuesday night is $2 Taco Tueadays. So you can get either a Mushroom, Chicken, Beef or Pork Taco for $2 ea.