“family wedding” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fairport
Princeton, New Jersey
“family wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

stayed one night for a family wedding. The wedding was lovely, the food was good. Room very nice. I would have liked brighter lights in the room, otherwise the room was nice. Breakfast buffet the next morning was very good.

beautiful property, I wish I had more time to explore the area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jeffrey D, Manager at Woodcliff Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear ksckscksc,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.com. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the wedding event as well as your dinner and breakfast. Our Chef, Steve Taylor, takes great pride in providing creative and appetizing dishes.
We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit.

Jeffrey DiTondo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I have to say, our experience at this hotel was…odd. As another reviewer had mentioned, there are hints of luxury but there are other elements that are of 2* quality at best. The spa is a complete disaster.

My husband and I travelled here for 2 nights to celebrate our anniversary. The outside of the hotel looks like an apartment building. I had emailed the hotel ahead of time requesting a king sized bed and a higher floor room. I had received a timely reply with assurances our request was blocked off. When we checked in, we were offered a room with 2 queen size beds. When I explained to the boy our request, he did quickly accommodate a King size bed but on the 3rd floor. Really, no big deal but what happened to the room that was supposedly blocked off for us? The room was very large and upon first glance was nicely appointed. The bed, however, was very springy and lumpy. Honestly, we have stayed at Red Roofs were the bed was better quality than this. There was a lot of storage space and a nice view. The carpet was obviously very old. Reminded me of something in my parents basement from the 80s. There was a small wet bar area with a nice little fridge, a sink and a keurig coffee maker. The cabinet of this little area looks like it was made of plywood. There were saw lines through the outside which made it look like it had been repurposed from some other use. The bathroom was nice with ample counter space and a nice large shower. The toilet paper was horrible!! Again, we are really easy going but I have had better at Red Roof also. Heck, even Walmart TP is better. For a 4* hotel, they could only afford the absolute cheapest toilet paper they could find? I really don’t usually complain about such things, but this was really bad.

We received not 1 but 2 Anniversary bottles of champagne and treats in our room. It was a very nice touch and totally unexpected. I used the pool and the hot tub. It was nice but dated. The hot tub tiles had some grunge on it and the pool water was green but it was a nice facility.

Now onto the spa. I thought I would treat myself to a mani/pedi. I called and booked my package that was advertised on the hotel website several days in advance of arriving. I discussed with the girl on the phone about the package and which to have first, the mani or pedi. The reason this is important is that I booked a special package and even discussed it . I arrived and within 10 minutes of my appt time, my pedicure begun. It was nice enough but my heels weren’t done like another reviewed mentioned happened to her. When it was over, the girl was telling me I could go. I mentioned that I had booked the package and still needed my manicure. Well, they had no clue about this so they scrambled around to figure out who was going to do this. Apparently they had no clue that I had booked this special fall package. My manicurist went to tell the front desk about the screw up so I thought the confusion would be over and done then. I was wrong. When I went to go pay, I told the receptionist that there had been a mix up and that I didn’t actually receive the package I had booked. She asked me what I got. SHE ASKED ME. How the heck am I supposed to know exactly which of the several different pedis or manis the offered? So then she was going to charge me separately and when I reiterated that I booked the package and should get that price, she had to get a manger. Ok, so the manager came and promised to get me my included beverage from room service and entered in the price and I signed an invoice charging it to my room. When I received my final receipt – guess what? The full price had been charged to my credit card EVEN THOUGH I had signed a copy at the lower price. The difference was 10 bucks, but it really was a matter of principle at this point. So when I went to Reception, the girl had no idea what to do so she called the spa and of course, there was no manger at the spa and the girl at the spa had no idea what to do. Finally after about 10-15 minutes of this, I had to finally just beg to have 10 bucks credited back to my credit card so we could leave – really, is this so hard to figure out? The spa is a complete disaster. Stay away! I am the customer and I booked a certain service and because they couldn’t communicate this, I am the one who to spend my time sorting it out? Really unacceptable and in direct contrast of what a spa is supposed to be – relaxing.

All in all, I don’t know that I would return to this hotel. For the price, there are definitely better options. This hotel does try but they miss the mark by quite a bit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ChrisCKP
Dear ChrisCKP,
Thank you for posting your feedback and experience on Tripadvisor.com. At Woodcliff Hotel & Spa, our staff takes tremendous pride in our guest experience. We strive to provide exceptional service and attention to detail.
Please accept my sincere apology for any frustrations that may have occured. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you in regards to your stay and overall experience. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I will break this review up into the hotel and spa:

Hotel
-Property was nice with good views.
-Bar seemed popular and breakfast was very good.
-Rooms were a little strange -- layout was a bit awkward with the kitchenette cutting the room off. Biggest problem was that it was dark. Hard to put on makeup!
-Bathroom products were only ok
-Room service was very prompt, several vegetarian choice

Spa
-Reception was nice, good assortment of smashbox products (my fav)
-Mani/pedi I received was terrible, especially for the price. I was cut twice and the polish application was very sloppy. Not at all relaxing
-When I used the bathroom is was dirty. Again, not what I would expect at a day spa

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank cdgregor
Dear cdgregor,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.com. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the friendliness of our staff and views. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with your spa visit.
We appreciate your feedback and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further regarding your experience and a future visit.

Pittsford, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed overnight after the New Year's Eve celebration. The food and music were good but the front desk staff was unfriendly and curt. I think they were stressed because too many people showed up. At midnight there were fireworks - nicely done.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Staff was friendly... I arrived very late from California, and the long entrance to the hotel was a nice drive. It was my first time in Rochester, and I was there for a business meeting, so could not enjoy all that the hotel had to offer. Had a really nice breakfast from the selected menu which arrived promptly on time. Stayed 2 days, but would like to come back for a vacation instead of a business trip.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear M C,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.com. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the friendliness of our staff as well as your breakfast in Horizons Restaurant. We look forward to your next trip as a vacation so you can enjoy hotel amenities.

Bluffton, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I knew nothing about this hotel, nor the area when I booked our first annual mother/daughter getaway, but it look great online so took a chance. Our experience was positive from check in to check out.
We could have taken advantage of complimentary valet parking, played a round of golf, worked out in the two exercise rooms, swum in both the indoor and outdoor pools because all were well maintained, but we shall save those for our next visit.
This stay we marvelled at the spacious room, decadent beds and linens, bar area (complete with a Keurig for perfect coffee and tea), granite shower and countertops and the fabulous view of seasonal colour for miles around.
We discovered we were just a five minute drive from Nirvana: a HUGE mall and numerous outlying strip malls offering just about any store you could ask for. Oh, and. There was an outlet mall just 30 minutes away.
But, back to the hotel, we had Sunday brunch in the restaurant and it was excellent. Loads and loads of variety, but if you try it snap up your desserts BEFORE you do anything else as they ran out of several of the exciting options.
The only issue we had was that the walls were paper thin so we could hear the people next door far too well. By leaving the AC fan running we couldn't make out what they were saying.
We loved our massages in the spa and were impressed by their facilities.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the pool side so you can enjoy the view. Sunrise and sunsets were beautiful.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jeffrey D, Manager at Woodcliff Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Heather P,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.com. The Woodcliff Hotel and Spa prides itself on the numerous amenities that are offered. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the convenience of our location in regards to the shopping possibilities close by as well as the amazing fall views from our property. We look forward to your next visit and hope next time you will stay long enough to enjoy our Executive Golf Course, Swimming Pools and Spa Elan.

Menasha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Staff at check in were friendly and helpful. They made sure we knew where all amenities were located. The room was nice with plenty of space for luggage. Coffee machine, mini fridge, but no tea and only powdered cream. Bathroom was clean and shower was spacious. (Note to designers -- most women shave their legs in the shower. Please add a step!)
There were some weddings going on with some loud guests on Friday night. I think this is a rude people problem more than a hotel problem.
Grounds are nice with a running trail nearby.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Samantha484,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.com and especially thank you for recognizing the sincerity and friendliness of our hotel staff. The Woodcliff Hotel and Spa prides itself on the attentiveness and welcoming presence of our staff. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the size and amenities in our guest rooms.

Jeffrey DiTondo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairport
Inn On Broadway
Inn On Broadway
#22 of 31 in Rochester
The Strathallan Rochester Hotel & Spa - a DoubleTree by Hilton
The Del Monte Lodge Renaissance Rochester Hotel & Spa
Hilton Garden Inn Rochester/Pittsford
Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside
The East Avenue Inn & Suites

Been to Woodcliff Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!