“It was nice unitl they accused me of stealing”

Woodcliff Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fairport
Reviewed 20 December 2013

My Fiance booked my friend and I the spajama package for my birthday. We had a good time, the room was nice and the food was good (besides the fact that they did not offer gluten free options). The staff was friendly and very kind besides the front desk and room service. The spa was lovely and they went above and beyond to please us. It was all very enjoyable until I checked my account which was the one they charged because I had to give them a physical card to get into our room even though my fiance had already given them his credit card information prior when he booked the room. Even after he called to straighten it out they still charged me. I checked my account afterwards and there was an extra 100 dollar charge on it. My fiance called the hotel and asked them about the extra charge. They explained that an ihome went missing from our room. There was never an ihome in our room, nor would we have any use for one since neither of us had apple products. The hotel argued that my fiance had called and had it put in our room, which didn't make any sense because he was not the one staying there. They reluctantly told us that the 100 dollars would be placed back into my account. As a result I would not recommend staying here, nor would I ever choose to come back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Rick_McKeown, General Manager at Woodcliff Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear frequenttravelor23,
Thank you for providing feedback about your visit on Tripadvisor.com. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed Woodcliff Hotel & Spa and the facilities we offer. Please accept my sincere apology for the miscommunication with our staff in regards to the ihome radio. I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping and Front Office teams to ensure we investigate any missing items further.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Woodcliff Hotel & Spa. I invite you to contact me directly on your next visit.
Rick McKeown

Reviewed 18 December 2013

quiet and out of the way location, but close to everything, sets the tone. Extremely good staff who address customer service in understated but professional ways. Top shelf bar/restaurant means you don't have to go out, if you don't want to, which is a great benefit after long days of travel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Jeffrey D, Manager at Woodcliff Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Dear Dixonconsultinginc,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.com. I am glad to hear that you found our location appropriate as we are in very close proximity to Eastview Mall as well as many great restaurants. The Woodcliff prides itself on the attentiveness of the staff so it is great to hear your praise.We appreciate your feedback and I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

The reason I am only giving 3 stars is because I went for a spa weakend with my sister and wanted to swim, hot tub etc.. The swimming pool was only 71! Degrees. The hot tub was in the 80's. The hot tub had so much clorine in it that it was yellow. I had sterling silver jewerly that is totally ruined now.
The room was lovely and staff was very nice.
Good wine list and food. Yet our lunch took an hour and a half to get. (Lobster bisque with 1/2 sandwich and wild game chilli) I think the chef had to hunt the boar down! :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jeannies924

Dear jeannies924,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.com. I am glad to hear that you found our guest rooms comfortable. I have personally followed up with your concerns in regards to the hot tub and am working on correcting.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Room was nice but the lighting was very dim. Was this to hide dirt or so you never know what you really look like??? Stayed 2 nites but no clean towels were delivered the 2nd nite. Water pipes began banging at 6AM - VERY disturbing!!! The experience was just OK

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathleen b

Dear Kathleen b,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.com. I apologize for the housekeeping inconveniences you experienced. I have personally followed up with staff to ensure future inconveniences of this kind to not occur again.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Three of us stayed for the "Spajama" package - just the thing we all needed during the holiday season! The package included a spa service- we all elected to get the Swedish Massage. The Spa was beautiful and the attendants took good care of us in an effort to make us feel pampered - which we certainly did! One friend would have preferred the hot stone massage (she asked for this and was not able to switch even by paying the difference), but enjoyed her massage 100%. We had a beautiful suite (not part of the package - we upgraded) and felt very comfortable in the room.
There was a problem with our bill (we were being charged more than our online confirmed price) which took up some of our precious little time to figure out ourselves and then to bring it to the attention of the front desk who then had to bring it to the manager while we waited for 30 minutes in the lobby. It was fixed - that is they honored our booking price which was great. However it would have been nice if the manager came out and said something. A little goes a long way. Even with that issue I am giving this hotel 5 stars because it was very clean, friendly staff, and they make sure you feel welcome and have an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear girlsweekendreview,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.com. I am so glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience at Spa Elan and found the staff welcoming. The Woodcliff Hotel and Spa prides itself on the serenity of the property as well as the friendliness of our staff.
We appreciate your feedback and look forward to future visits.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Let me start by saying that this hotel is beautiful especially during this season. Upon arrival there were multiple functions being held in the lobby areas making for a very loud arrival. Lobby beautifully decorated . Doorman and valet parking on this very cold evening was a plus as the parking lot full to capacity. Front desk check in smooth and professional but not to friendly or welcoming. Had to ask where the spa,pool and comp breakfast areas located. He said all info in room! Upon arrival to room on 6th floor , beautiful lights of surrounding city the view spectacular we felt a rush of very cold air. Thinking window must be opened we checked. It was the wall heater malfunctioning. Remember it is December in ny and 28 degrees out with a/c blasting. I promptly notified front desk and we left for dinner. Upon our arrival back room toasty in fact hot! I made the mistake of setting it to 70 for the night only awaking at 4a.m to be frozen and the room 62 Degrees. I called front desk they said sorry but no one there at this hour so would you like extra blanket lol. We got up still frozen took max hot shower dressed as fast as superman and went downstairs to get breakfast remember it was included in our stay. We were seated facing a driveway when there were tables overlooking the beautiful hills. We were told we couldn't sit there as they were going to have the lunch guests sit there?? Restaurant wasn't aware about package and took 10 min to check on this telling us buffet due to close. Would I really want the remains of a buffet closing? Anyway we ordered off menu and my husbands choice was spectacular. Mine cold and I mean cold. Not even slightly warm.I choose to eat what I could thinking it was taken from the buffet that was closing and husband agreed. Didn't complain at this point why bother. Room itself beautifully appointed comfortable bed and nice linens,good shower pressure from marble shower big enough for two! Shower amenities very nice. Room has Keurig machine with four choices of coffee. A small couch that looked like a sofa sleeper and smallish flat screen tv. Granite counters galore. A warning the pool area so packed with toddlers and young children we choose to avoid. Parents sitting drinking wine and kids jumping and splashing like this was an indoor waterpark. Shocked as this is a high end spa and resort. We choice to leave as we both tired from lack of adequate sleep so I can not comment on spa services but looks very nice. Overall I would have given it a 4 1/2star if the heat worked and breakfast at very least warm. At check out tried to charge us an additional room charge. Hopefully it was removed and I will have to check my cc statement. Sorry but employees need to step it up a notch despite being overwhelmed by large parties taking place. This place is a wonderful weekend getaway. I would suggest eating elsewhere and be sure to avoid room 608

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor view spectacular
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mruggier0

Dear mruggier,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.com. I am glad to hear that you found our views and decor attractive. We have found our Keurig Coffee makers in every room to be a great addition to hotel amenities. I have personally followed up with your concerns in regards to the handling of your request for the heater malfunction.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

We stayed here to break up a long Thanksgiving week trip. The room was great - wonderful linens, spacious room with couch, nice amenities like mini-Keurig coffee maker & hair dryer with diffuser. Restaurant was decent and you get coupons at check-in so we could have a couple of drinks, apps & dinner and not break the bank. My one complaint is about the hot tub which had so much chlorine that it was unbearable. Door staff was fantastic and cleaned off our car after a snowstorm. Overall, 3 1/2 stars.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RedUmbrellaVT
Jeffrey D, Manager at Woodcliff Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Red Umbrella VT,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.com. I am glad to hear that you found our guest rooms comfortable and especially enjoyed our linens. We have found our Keurig Coffee makers in every room to be a great addition to hotel amenities. I have personally followed up with your concerns in regards to the hot tub and am working on correcting.

Jeffrey DiTondo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairport
Hilton Garden Inn Rochester/Pittsford
The Del Monte Lodge Renaissance Rochester Hotel & Spa
The Inn on the Lake
The Inn on the Lake
#3 of 12 in Canandaigua
Best Western Plus Victor Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Rochester/Victor
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester-Pittsford/Brighton, NY

Been to Woodcliff Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!