I feel bad leaving this place a "3" because it has a lot of good points. The public areas are nice, if a little bland. Guest rooms are nice, large and comfortable. Food service that I had (catered brunch, plus their breakfast buffet) were definitely B+ or A-. The staff was for the most part nice, but . . . I really can't make sense of the place. It bills itself as a spa but there is precious little catering to the guest or even an awareness of hospitality industry basics (N.B. - pls. see my other reviews; I am not looking for a whole lot of bowing and scraping when I travel). It's location is odd - sort of in an office park, but not terrible (it's hilly and there are nice views from the rooms). But . . . I can't understand why it's here in sort of generic suburbia, and what it is really supposed to be . . . It can't be a destination property.
Some of the problems, in order of importance:
(1) I chose this hotel partially because it boasted a nice pool. I wanted to go for a swim at 8:00 a.m. on a Saturday before my day began. No dice. Spa manager told me that I couldn't swim without a lifeguard and they didn't have one coming in before 10 a.m. Maybe the state regs are true:
but - it's a freakin' spa - no swimming until 10:00 a.m. ? By that time I was well on my way. Pool actually kind of small with a dated deck and furniture; somewhat less good than the literature.
(2) This time of year hotel seems like a wedding factory. No significant impact except it's 11:23 p.m. and I was told the DJ blasting out the hotel "might stop" in 20 minutes. Great. I am thinking this place's identity might be all about the weddings b/c there are several large suites here.
(3) Lobby Starbucks not so professional. They are only open until 10 each day (wouldn't have guessed this). When I showed up at 10:04 - no dice.
(4) When I arrived rather late (1:00 p.m.)l place was sort of dark, no one to help me with luggage, parking (not sure if this is a legit gripe).
Frankly, not sure if any of the gripes are that big a deal - you decide. Since starting this review, I've upped them to 4 stars, b/c I felt guilty that I am being "petty."
Anyway, I need to travel tomorrow, it's 11:31 and the music is still blaring. But don't really feel like raining on someone's wedding. Why do places put you in a bind like this?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience Woodcliff Hotel and Spa, a premier Rochester Hotel, conference center and spa located close to the scenic Finger Lakes region of upstate New York. We welcome you with the comfort, amenities and warm, personal service that you expect from a first class hotel and spa. Located atop wooded hills in Fairport, just off I-90, Woodcliff Hotel and Spa is only 20 minutes from downtown Rochester, and offers spectacular views of the Rochester Skyline, Rochester Bristol Hills and Finger Lakes region. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Woodcliff Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Woodcliff Hotel Fairport
- Hotel At Woodcliff
- At Woodcliff Hotel
- Lodge At Woodcliff