“Nice property, needs some management focus”

Woodcliff Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fairport
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice property, needs some management focus”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I feel bad leaving this place a "3" because it has a lot of good points. The public areas are nice, if a little bland. Guest rooms are nice, large and comfortable. Food service that I had (catered brunch, plus their breakfast buffet) were definitely B+ or A-. The staff was for the most part nice, but . . . I really can't make sense of the place. It bills itself as a spa but there is precious little catering to the guest or even an awareness of hospitality industry basics (N.B. - pls. see my other reviews; I am not looking for a whole lot of bowing and scraping when I travel). It's location is odd - sort of in an office park, but not terrible (it's hilly and there are nice views from the rooms). But . . . I can't understand why it's here in sort of generic suburbia, and what it is really supposed to be . . . It can't be a destination property.

Some of the problems, in order of importance:

(1) I chose this hotel partially because it boasted a nice pool. I wanted to go for a swim at 8:00 a.m. on a Saturday before my day began. No dice. Spa manager told me that I couldn't swim without a lifeguard and they didn't have one coming in before 10 a.m. Maybe the state regs are true:

but - it's a freakin' spa - no swimming until 10:00 a.m. ? By that time I was well on my way. Pool actually kind of small with a dated deck and furniture; somewhat less good than the literature.

(2) This time of year hotel seems like a wedding factory. No significant impact except it's 11:23 p.m. and I was told the DJ blasting out the hotel "might stop" in 20 minutes. Great. I am thinking this place's identity might be all about the weddings b/c there are several large suites here.

(3) Lobby Starbucks not so professional. They are only open until 10 each day (wouldn't have guessed this). When I showed up at 10:04 - no dice.

(4) When I arrived rather late (1:00 p.m.)l place was sort of dark, no one to help me with luggage, parking (not sure if this is a legit gripe).

Frankly, not sure if any of the gripes are that big a deal - you decide. Since starting this review, I've upped them to 4 stars, b/c I felt guilty that I am being "petty."

Anyway, I need to travel tomorrow, it's 11:31 and the music is still blaring. But don't really feel like raining on someone's wedding. Why do places put you in a bind like this?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Yanks_in_Dixie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
nj
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We spent one night here on our way to Niagra Falls. I cannot say enough good things about the accomodations and staff. We got off to a bumpy start but the staff remedied the situation and we could not have been happier. We played at the golf course and really enjoyed it. Dinner in the hotel restaurant was absolutely delicious and the staff in the restaurant was well above average. We actually returned on our way back home and met some old friends in the hotel restaurant for their amazing brunch. Delicious! My husband and I are trying to find a reason to head back up there for another stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jeffrey D, Manager at Woodcliff Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Beachlover0803,
Thank you for sharing your most recent experience on Tripadvisor.com and especially for the 5 STAR review! It is great to hear how much you enjoyed Horizons Restaurant. The Woodcliff is proud to announce the addition of Executive Chef Matthew Laurence. Chef Laurence has revitalized and updated Lunch and Dinner Menu's which created new and exciting offerings. I have also shared your wonderful comments in regards to our Staff with the team. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Wolcott, New York
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was there for my niece's wedding and the hotel did a wonderful job. The location was absolutely beautiful, the food was outstanding and the all of the staff were wonderful. Our room was great as well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear aficarro,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a Tripadvisor Review and especially for the 5 Star Rating! It is great to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your nieces wedding. The Woodcliff's Amenities as well as location provide for remarkable weddings and ceremonies. The Woodcliff is located at the highest point in Monroe County and therefore has astonishing views. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Spencerport
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed there last night with my sisters and cousins to celebrate a 59th birthday. Got the "Spajama" package which included 2 spa treatments, chocolate covered strawberries in the room and great pizza delivered to the room. The pool was awesome - the room was beautiful and the staff bent over backwards to please us! Great music in the bar and reasonable drink prices! A top notch hotel! Very classy! Many celebrities stay there while in rochester which says a lot for the place ! We loved it and plan to go back again !

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Lorellen1957,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.com. I am so glad to hear that your experience on our Spa Jama Package was extremely memorable. The indoor and outdoor pool is one of the highlights throughout the summer months at the Woodcliff as well as the nightly entertainment in Horizons Lounge. We pride ourselves on the sincerity and welcoming presence of our staff so I assure you your comments have been shared with the team! We look forward to future visits and thanks again for the 5 Star Review.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 weeks in February 2014 and another week June 2014. Both times were work trips, but Woodcliff made being away from home a little easier. Great place to stay if you like clean rooms, awesome amenities, and an extremely friendly staff that goes above and beyond. This place has an excellent gym (for a hotel) and a great spa with pool and sauna. The food at the downstairs bar is really delicious and very affordable compared to other hotel restaurants.

Great people, great location, beautiful views. I'm generally a huge complainer, but I have nothing negative to say about this place. Woodcliff is a really nice resort any time of year. If I ever come back to Rochester again, I'm staying at the Woodcliff.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the back of the hotel. Beautiful views from your room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear JRulsky,
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback from your most recent stay at Woodcliff Hotel and Spa. It is wonderful to hear that we were able to provide a "Home Away from Home" for you. I am especially delighted to hear that you were able to utilize our many amenities that we have on property from the Pool and Sauna to Horizons Lounge. We hope to see you again in the near future and greatly appreciate the 5 Star Review.
Jonesborough, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Outstanding facility, with staff that couldn't have been more accommodating. The room was outstanding and spotless. All sorts of amenities and looked brand new. I lived nearby when this was first built around 25 years ago, and then stayed regularly on business for several years. If anything, it is better than it ever was and must have been recently renewed and remodeled. Nice health club, with good equipment and pool. Golf course is a part of resort and fine restaurants nearby. Huge Eastview Mall is within sight. If you want to see the best food store in the country, go to Wegman's at nearby Pittsford Plaza. Almost couldn't get my wife to leave. Outstanding experience and stay. Highly pleased. We travel frequently and this was one of the best experience in ages.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Dick C,
Thank you so much for your 5 Star Tripadvisor Review. I would like to start by thanking you for the wonderful comments in regards to the attentiveness and service from our staff. It sounds like you and your wife were able to enjoy our prime location which is just minutes from Eastview Mall and in close proximity to local restaurants. In regards to our guest rooms and property we have undergone a complete renovation within the last year so the entire hotel is in immaculate condition. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times for business. The hotel is always very clean. The food is good and the atmosphere is relaxing. The staff is exceptionally friendly and accommodating. I highly recommend Woodcliff as a place to stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairport
The Del Monte Lodge Renaissance Rochester Hotel & Spa
The Inn on the Lake
The Inn on the Lake
#3 of 12 in Canandaigua
Hilton Garden Inn Rochester/Pittsford
The Strathallan Rochester Hotel & Spa - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Best Western Plus Victor Inn & Suites
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Victor/Rochester

Been to Woodcliff Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!