“A nice weekend getaway”

Woodcliff Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fairport
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Overall, a very nice place to stay for a weekend get away, or for a few days if you're in the area on business. A little pricey, considering the rooms are nothing more than what you would expect at a Holiday Inn. They have been upgraded a bit with large floor to ceiling showers and nice little coffee and drink preparation area, but altogether nothing really special.

The staff is wonderful - very attentive, friendly and willing to help out with anything. Pool and exercise area are top-notch and the grounds and views are excellent. Hiking trails are accessible from the hotel grounds and the smallish 9-hole golf course is really quite nice (golf carts available at the front hotel entrance).

Dinner was very, very good and service was outstanding. Nice music played in the lounge/bar area - not too loud with plenty of selections to dance to. Mostly an older crowd (mid-70's) but even for those of us a bit younger, it was a lot of fun.

The wife and I really enjoyed getting away, even if for a short weekend. This is a top-notch hotel with top-notch facilities and a excellent restaurant. As I said earlier, it is a bit pricey compared to some of the better hotels we've stayed at, but we will be back and would recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: Views are best from the top floor (6th).
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sargeman

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Woodcliff's Chef Matt held his first cooking class yesterday afternoon, it was fantastic! What a great idea to incorporate into all Woodcliff Hotel & Spa has to offer. All of the dishes made were delicious and we also were given recipes for several of the items. I look forward to his next class!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2014

They say that you can tell the quality of the management of a place by the feeling that you get when you interact with the employees. If that is true, then the management of the Woodcliff are the best employers ever. It's like being at Disneyland. Everyone you come into contact with at this place is pleasant, helpful, and goes the extra mile. I would recommend that the management give a bonus or a shout-out to everyone who was working on the weekend I was there, but that's probably not necessary. They probably do it anyway! The best thing about this place, and there is a lot to like, but the best thing, is it's amazing customer service. But here's a list of the other things that I liked as well: 1) Of course, the people. 2) The room was very comfortable and nicely furnished, with an elegant style. The bed was *very* comfortable. 3) The pool is an indoor/outdoor pool - half inside the building, with a doorway to swim out to the outdoor pool. The outdoor pool has a lifeguard. When was the last time you had a lifeguard at a hotel pool? The pool area is nicely landscaped/designed. I would have liked more shady spots to sit outside, but it wasn't a problem since I could just go inside. 4) The bar, where the service (of course) was incredible. They had live music and people were dancing, but it wasn't so loud that you couldn't talk. 5) The hotel itself is elegant and on a beautifully landscaped property. The view from the restaurant is supposedly the "best sunset in Rochester". Looking at that view, I believe it. 6) The Starbucks cafe in the lobby, where you could get a coffee before you started your day. On my next visit, and there will definitely be a next visit, I'm going to try the restaurant and the spa. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I feel bad leaving this place a "3" because it has a lot of good points. The public areas are nice, if a little bland. Guest rooms are nice, large and comfortable. Food service that I had (catered brunch, plus their breakfast buffet) were definitely B+ or A-. The staff was for the most part nice, but . . . I really can't make sense of the place. It bills itself as a spa but there is precious little catering to the guest or even an awareness of hospitality industry basics (N.B. - pls. see my other reviews; I am not looking for a whole lot of bowing and scraping when I travel). It's location is odd - sort of in an office park, but not terrible (it's hilly and there are nice views from the rooms). But . . . I can't understand why it's here in sort of generic suburbia, and what it is really supposed to be . . . It can't be a destination property.

Some of the problems, in order of importance:

(1) I chose this hotel partially because it boasted a nice pool. I wanted to go for a swim at 8:00 a.m. on a Saturday before my day began. No dice. Spa manager told me that I couldn't swim without a lifeguard and they didn't have one coming in before 10 a.m. Maybe the state regs are true:

but - it's a freakin' spa - no swimming until 10:00 a.m. ? By that time I was well on my way. Pool actually kind of small with a dated deck and furniture; somewhat less good than the literature.

(2) This time of year hotel seems like a wedding factory. No significant impact except it's 11:23 p.m. and I was told the DJ blasting out the hotel "might stop" in 20 minutes. Great. I am thinking this place's identity might be all about the weddings b/c there are several large suites here.

(3) Lobby Starbucks not so professional. They are only open until 10 each day (wouldn't have guessed this). When I showed up at 10:04 - no dice.

(4) When I arrived rather late (1:00 p.m.)l place was sort of dark, no one to help me with luggage, parking (not sure if this is a legit gripe).

Frankly, not sure if any of the gripes are that big a deal - you decide. Since starting this review, I've upped them to 4 stars, b/c I felt guilty that I am being "petty."

Anyway, I need to travel tomorrow, it's 11:31 and the music is still blaring. But don't really feel like raining on someone's wedding. Why do places put you in a bind like this?

1  Thank Yanks_in_Dixie
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We spent one night here on our way to Niagra Falls. I cannot say enough good things about the accomodations and staff. We got off to a bumpy start but the staff remedied the situation and we could not have been happier. We played at the golf course and really enjoyed it. Dinner in the hotel restaurant was absolutely delicious and the staff in the restaurant was well above average. We actually returned on our way back home and met some old friends in the hotel restaurant for their amazing brunch. Delicious! My husband and I are trying to find a reason to head back up there for another stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jeffrey D, Manager at Woodcliff Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Beachlover0803,
Thank you for sharing your most recent experience on Tripadvisor.com and especially for the 5 STAR review! It is great to hear how much you enjoyed Horizons Restaurant. The Woodcliff is proud to announce the addition of Executive Chef Matthew Laurence. Chef Laurence has revitalized and updated Lunch and Dinner Menu's which created new and exciting offerings. I have also shared your wonderful comments in regards to our Staff with the team. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was there for my niece's wedding and the hotel did a wonderful job. The location was absolutely beautiful, the food was outstanding and the all of the staff were wonderful. Our room was great as well.

Dear aficarro,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a Tripadvisor Review and especially for the 5 Star Rating! It is great to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your nieces wedding. The Woodcliff's Amenities as well as location provide for remarkable weddings and ceremonies. The Woodcliff is located at the highest point in Monroe County and therefore has astonishing views. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed there last night with my sisters and cousins to celebrate a 59th birthday. Got the "Spajama" package which included 2 spa treatments, chocolate covered strawberries in the room and great pizza delivered to the room. The pool was awesome - the room was beautiful and the staff bent over backwards to please us! Great music in the bar and reasonable drink prices! A top notch hotel! Very classy! Many celebrities stay there while in rochester which says a lot for the place ! We loved it and plan to go back again !

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Lorellen1957,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.com. I am so glad to hear that your experience on our Spa Jama Package was extremely memorable. The indoor and outdoor pool is one of the highlights throughout the summer months at the Woodcliff as well as the nightly entertainment in Horizons Lounge. We pride ourselves on the sincerity and welcoming presence of our staff so I assure you your comments have been shared with the team! We look forward to future visits and thanks again for the 5 Star Review.
Jeffrey DiTondo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairport
The Del Monte Lodge Renaissance Rochester Hotel & Spa
Hilton Garden Inn Rochester/Pittsford
The Inn on the Lake
The Inn on the Lake
#3 of 12 in Canandaigua
Hampton Inn & Suites Rochester/Victor
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Victor/Rochester
Best Western Plus Victor Inn & Suites

Been to Woodcliff Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!