“The most appalling motel room I've ever seen.”

Americana Inn Farmingdale
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Farmingdale
Woodstock, New York
“The most appalling motel room I've ever seen.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I'm not sure a written description, or even the pictures I took could express what I saw and experienced- first, the reception area, then the motel's exterior on the way to the room: old, decaying, falling apart. Then the room: rotting wooden door, filthy carpet with large stains and what seemed to be burns all over, furniture literally coming apart; worst of all, the bed was unmade(!) Or maybe even worse, there was a strangely mangled and twisted baseboard radiator, but no thermostat or any other means to control it- and the heat never came on; the nighttime temperature went down into the lower 40's, and even though I slept in my clothes in the gross unmade bed, I froze all night. I won't begin to describe the shower, though I must say, aside from its condition, that housekeeping had apparently made an effort to clean it.
I had never seen anything like this anywhere, anytime. There is no need for further description.
The mystery to me is how this place got through Hotwire's vetting process, let alone earned any kind of rating..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank ROB S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I needed a room really bad and this was basically all that was left. Service was ok, but the guy stood behind a glass Window which was sketchy. We went to the room; the outside was your typical
Motel walkway and stuff. The bad looked very clean and nice, but it stunk of something with a mix of cigarette smoke. Which was to heavy to ignor, the room was nonsmoking. The smell s made the bed sheets stink too. The bathroom was gross. Other then that its ok to stay for like a wick stop but it's way over priced 132 dollars for a room you could barely sleep in because of the stink and smoke.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Dude1111111

Travellers are raving about these Farmingdale hotels

Santa Barbara, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

This motel is a dump and the management is criminal. The room was dirty and smelled horrible. Also, trash was spewed outside the room from an overflowing trash can that had not been emptied for weeks. I paid $92 for the room through Kayak.com, but when I returned the room key the manager insisted that he did not receive payment. He charged me an additional $67. After paying him I contacted Kayak to fix the problem. Kayak gave me the run-around that day, and for months afterward. The motel management kept telling Kayak that "the manager was away from the motel having surgery". Kayak kept telling me that there was nothing that could be done until the manager returned. Unfortunately this excuse went on for months. I never received any compensation after being double-charged.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank RobertTheTraveler
Bridgewater, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

I booked this hotel in desperation at the last minute but I turned around and left and would have slept in my car if it was the last place available on Long Island!!!! It is one step off a dirty highway and below so you would have to look up to see the cars speeding by. The hotel clerk sat behind a protective window! I saw the room from the doorway (would not step foot in it) before leaving, it was the size of a large closet, was to be Non-Smoking but reeked of smoke and had an ashtray on the bedside table. The door had tape on it! The room was dank and dark even after putting the light on. I expect it to be used by the hour! I was shaking as I left and I did get a refund so it was a lesson learned. - always take the time to READ the REVIEWS!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Teresa C
Port of Spain, Trinidad
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

This Motel was booked by my company for a Business trip, so it was already pre-paid for. When I entered the room, I could immediately smell Marijuana smoke. Not a non-smoking room that was booked as there was an ashtray in the room.I opened the bedside cabinet and found a V****na lubricant. The place is obviously a Prostitute Motel. Seedly and Scary. I feared for my life as the door had a huge gap around it. One of the other guests said they are paid by the government to stay there because they are on Welfare. Need I say more. The website says you get breakfast. When I asked for it, they said it was an error. No coffee making, no fridge etc. An absolute nightmare. At least it can never get worse after this place.

Room Tip: Don't. Check out and don't look back.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
10 Thank I P F
Saratoga Springs, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

Nice enough people work here but there is seemingly no communication between them. There is no number on the phone indicating how to call the front desk and when I walked to the front desk office in order to ask for an extra pillow I was told to "look for the maid".

It isn't that I expected a lot from a cheap room but if the staff and management would put in just a tiny bit of effort I could have been satisfied with the substandard room conditions and poor location. Book this Motel as your last resort.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have Wi-Fi - ask when you book.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Matt O
Albany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

Here's what it said:
"All rooms are equipped with free wireless internet access, cable TV with extra stations, air conditioning, free local calls, coffeemaker, hairdryer, microwave, and iron and board."
It also said, free complimentary breakfast - NOT. NO breakfast, not even coffee.

Room Tip: The locks on the doors are pretty shabby, bring a gun or at least a baseball bat. This is right up t...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank sfrisino
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmingdale
Courtyard Republic Airport Long Island/Farmingdale
Extended Stay America - Long Island - Melville
BEST WESTERN Bar Harbour Inn
BEST WESTERN Bar Harbour Inn
#1 of 1 in Massapequa Park
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Days Inn Long Island/Copiague

Been to Americana Inn Farmingdale? Share your experiences!