“Reaching too far” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Whitby, Canada
“Reaching too far”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

I can't think of any pan-Asian restaurant I've been to that has been completely successful. They may think they know how to cook all these different cuisines, but just because you're good at one or two or even three doesn't mean you're good at all of them.

This is a case in point, and a particularly glaring one. When I saw the comprehensively Asian menu in such a typical neighborhood Chinese restaurant I had a feeling they were reaching way too far. To keep it short and simple: the Chinese food was fine. The Thai (pad thai) tasted nothing like any pad thai I ever had previously. The Japanese (sushi) was soggy and sticky. But, on the plus side -- such large portions!

Service, setting: acceptable, nothing special.

Adequate for Chinese take-out. Nothing more.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

DeWitt, New York
“Great place if you are tired of Chinese buffets”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

Generally, I find that most Chinese buffets seriously sacrifice quality for quantity, and limit themselves to certain very standard (often boring) selections. Sure, I eat at them once in a while. But if I want really good Chinese food, there is no substitute for a restaurant that cooks a meal ordered off a menu. Unfortunately, the buffet business model seems to succeed while sit-down table service menu-based Chinese restaurants struggle to compete.

As a local to the Syracuse area, I've eaten in most of the Chinese buffet joints and the handful of table service restaurants. This one is my favorite. The dining room is comfortably furnished (nice chairs, tablecloths, etc.) and while I realize other reviewers were disappointed in the service, I've never had a bad experience. The food is nicely prepared and presented, and your inner glutton that wanted you to go to a buffet will find the portions okay, though not mountainous. I also appreciate the Asian background music here; when eating in an ethnic restaurant I hate it when I have to listen to American music and much prefer an atmosphere that complements the food.

I have eaten in many Chinese restaurants in other cities as well, and this one does not compare with the very best. Still, for the greater Syracuse area it's pretty good, and superior to any buffet.

By the way, I do not eat sushi nor have I tried the Japanese or other Asian dishes on the menu. My comments reflect the basic Chinese items I've had.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Joe H
Syracuse, New York
“terrible service overshadowed meal”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

arrived a little after 6 ordered and 45 minutes later the food was trickling out. of course the main course arrived before the appitizer and sat there watching half of those arriving after us had been served as we waited. the order was relatively simple with some sushi for one and standard chinese (beef broccoli and chicken cashew) for the others. twice spoke to the waitress to no avail . should have known when ordering has to show waitress our selections on the menu to get the order correct. When bill came it was incorrect. Could have somewhat overlooked if at least the food was as good as I have heard but at best it was average. Either we caught it on a bad night or this place is way over rated. .

• Visited October 2012
Jamesville, New York
“Take out or dine in-both are great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

The nice thing about this restaurant is that the owner takes the time to make sure that each visit is enjoyable. Most of the time we go here we dine in, but they do take out as well. We like the sushi choices as well as the standard chinese food options. Always good food.

Visited April 2012
“Sushi was not fresh and made me sick and service was terrible.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2011

We went to Oriental Star to try the all you can eat sushi deal. The sushi was not that good and my son and I had stomach ache afterward. The service was also terrible and unfriendly. The place is not nice and smelly as well. For sure I will not go there again or recommend it to any body.

1 Thank samsoun