“Lovely winter stay...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fayetteville
CT
“Lovely winter stay...”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I am really surprised by the overwhelming negative reviews. My boyfriend and I were here for 8 days over Christmas

From the moment we checked in, the staff was nothing short of attentive and helpful. We were originally on the first floor, near a rear entrance, and could hear the door slam every time someone came in or out. The front desk staff switched our room the next morning with no question and we were put in a beautiful room on the second floor. They even brought a fridge up to our new room (our original room had one and our new one didn't). The bed is large and comfortable- even more comfortable than our bed at home.

I love the fireplace with sitting area in the lobby and I especially love the fresh warm cookies in the lobby every afternoon!

I only have two very minor complaints. One, the lousy water pressure in the shower - which I think most likely has to do with the shower head. Two, the ac/heat unit in our room didnt seem to work on AC in the winter. Which I can partly understand, since Syracuse winters are so cold, but our room was been pretty warm at times. Thank goodness we travel with a box fan- I'm not sure what we would have done about that otherwise (maybe gone across the street to target and bought one! lol).

I love the country inn feel, but can definitely understand how others can say the decor is outdated. The rocking chairs on the porch were an awesome touch and made me wish it wasn't winter so we could sit outside and enjoy them!

We got a great deal on the room and I have no complaints about that. Three stars purely for the typical $129 per night price (which for the record, I dont think 99% of hotels are worth that per night cost, so that's nothing against the Craftsman!). If we hadn't gotten a deal, Im not sure we could afford to stay there... or stay there again.

The Limestone was great - we enjoyed a few meals there and weren't disappointed! Best calamari Ive ever had too! Melt in your mouth tender and perfectly cooked... Oh, and I would KILL to get the recipe for that sauce it was served with! Divine! (we even asked for more!)

Loved the enormous omelets for breakfast and the lobster bisque at lunch was outstanding! I left a long, glowing and complete review for the Limestone over on Yelp.com - big thumbs up!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Portland
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I have stayed at the Craftsman Inn several times over the past 7 years. Every time I chose the Craftsman Inn I enjoyed the feeling of the warm, woody furniture, the quiet neighborhood, closeness to nearby stores and parks. The staff has always been very helpful. The hotel is a welcome change from cloned chain hotels.

Room Tip: The suites are a very good value and include a microwave and living room with sofa and comfortable c...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Roger C
syracuse, NY
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We have stayed at the Craftsman sveral times over the past number of years. Each time I think that this motel has the opportunity to be excellent, but suffers from a lack of care. The rooms a decent size featuring furniture from Stickley furniture, a very high quality product. Instead of building on that quality the hotel is not terribly well kept, dirt on rugs, tables and chairs from the catering separtment stored in hallways etc. The television sets are not flat screened. The front desk is oftentimes confused; sometimes helpful and at other times totally confused. The restaurant is quite good, and excellent for meetings and group dinners.For an excellent dinner I reccommend the Arad Evans just a hundred feet away. I wish that the management would pay more attention to the operation of the motel so that it could live up to its potential.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DAJSYR
Boston
Reviewed 24 November 2012

The best part of the Craftsman Inn is its view from the driveway. Once inside you realize the carpets are stained, the decor tired, the wallpaper is pealing, the glasses in our room filthy/sticky, and my favorite part... there were stains all over the sheets/blankets. Do yourself a favor and don't stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank BrindleFly
RandyMalone, General Manager at Craftsman Inn, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
First I would like to offer our apologies for the unsatisfactory condition of your room. We thank you for staying with us over the holiday, and wish that we had provided you with a more pleasant stay. We will use your critique as a teaching tool with the housekeeping associates. We are in the process of reconditioning public areas and rooms, and feel that should you be kind enough to visit us again, we're confidant that you would be pleased with the results. again, our apologies for the shortcomings of your stay.

Travellers are raving about these Fayetteville hotels

Middletown, Delaware
Reviewed 26 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed here while vacationing in the area. Very clean and comfortable. The Stickley furniture was a nice touch! Good location with places to shop and eat right across the street. We also had breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Very good and service was great. Would recommend this place to friends to stay on business or pleasure!

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 8 October 2012

It was clean, comfortable and had lots of pleasureable and unexpected extras.

There was 24 hr coffee/tea available in the lobby which was great, but every morning we missed having a simple available continental breakfast - my only complaint. Cheaper hotels with lesser quality usually have this feature, but alas not here. Maybe they are forcing everyone to pay at the in house grill (also very nice, no complaints, they go out of their way to accomodate you).

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rebecca T
RandyMalone, General Manager at Craftsman Inn, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Thank you Rebecca. We do serve a really fine breakfast at The Limestone Grille, our restaurant that stands next door to us. We're pleased that your experience there was enjoyable as well. We look forward to seeing you back!
Batavia, New York
Reviewed 19 September 2012

This location was recommended to me - while I normally stay in a Hampton, I figured, sure, why not. Love the furniture and the old-time atmosphere. It is really like a piece of americana - so don't expect a coffee maker in your room (that really is a miss). I was in Room 125 - on entering, noticed the sheers were torn from the top. The slipcover on the arm chair was not where it should be. The bathroom is old, but works. I can't say it was dirty, just lacking in that clean smell. THe bed was delightful. The TV had the best selection of the three hotels I have stayed in in the last two weeks.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BataviaBev
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on The Craftsman. Our Executive Housekeeper is replacing some of the older sheers throughout the facility, as there were a couple in need of attention. And we hear you on the coffee maker! By your next stay we will have that taken care of.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fayetteville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dewitt (Syracuse)
Hampton Inn & Suites Syracuse Erie Blvd/I-690
Homewood Suites by Hilton Syracuse - Carrier Circle
Hampton Inn & Suites Cazenovia
Marriott Syracuse Downtown
CrestHill Suites Syracuse
CrestHill Suites Syracuse
#4 of 19 in East Syracuse

Been to Craftsman Inn? Share your experiences!