“Great place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fire Island Pines
The Madison Fire Island Pines
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. Beautiful looking place. Staff were very nice. Rooms clean and modern. We came just at the end if season so got a good price, but was very good value for money. Only thing I would say is put a sign on the door at the board walk. I walked past a couple times ;-)

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I have been to the Madison for three short stays during the month of September. Each time I have been impressed with the service, the amenities and the exceptional competence and friendliness of the staff - particularly the manager Luke. I met both straight and gay individuals in a very cordial atmosphere. The rooms are clean and well furnished, the breakfast is plentiful and its convenient location makes it a must for anyone looking to spend a enjoyable days in the Pines.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Madison for a weekend. It was less than a one minute walk from the harbor. We booked and stayed in the Garden Room. The room are basic, clean and have all your amenities you need to make your stay relaxing.
The staff is super wonderful and friendly. Especially Luke who goes above and beyond to let you know where to eat and what events are happening events in the island. They make you feel like you are home.
They have a kitchen that you could use to cook meals or even grill. For your stay you also get complimentary. I would absolutely come back!!!

Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

I'm glad we discovered The Madison at Fire Island pines.
The location is great, literally 1 minute from the dock; the rooms are very nice, chic and cozy; they are pet friendly; the staff are very nice- thanks to Luke, mike and jersey; they have breakfast in the morning and you can even use the kitchen if u want to cook. And in addition you don't have to ask for towels! It's available anytime you want! We definitely recommend it and we will stay there again next time we visit Fire Island.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank RommelQ
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We went to The Madison on Fire Island in The Pines for the second year, and again had an amazing time. Luke and Mike were friendly and took really loving care of us. The Madison is a gorgeous house with a beautiful deck and pool, clean and peaceful, and extends the same friendly welcome to this straight couple as to the GLBT guests . With the comfy beds and great sheets and towels to the candy jars in the kitchen, all the touches were there. And what interesting guests we met, from all over the country. What a find on Fire Island, one of my favorite places. And pet friendly, as is the beach. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The Penthouse Bedroom we had last year was much more spacious and easy to get around in than the Poo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Came here on vacation with my boyfriend for two nights. It may not be cheap, but it's a great place to stay. The staff was sweet and very attentive, the breakfast was great, towels were readily available, the hotel was clean, and there was a pool. Close to the ferry, the water taxi, bars, and stores. Beautiful place and very quiet. We also met some nice couples. Again, it may not be cheap, but it's definitely worth every penny. Definitely check it out.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

My partner and I have just returned from staying at the Madison for three nights and overall we were very disappointed with the place and very glad we opted to visit just before the price hike after the 4th of July (which, incidentally, is blatant profiteering given our experience).

If you are not a young, cute gay boy who wants to party until dawn and have fresh baked cookies served at midnight (?!) when you have the munchies, give the Madison a wide berth.

The manager, Luke, was very nice when we arrived and gave us a basic rundown on how the place "functioned" such as we could help ourselves to fresh towels whenever, that breakfast (basically bagels and fruit) was served from 830 am and that we could use the kitchen and BBQ to cook if we wanted to. That is a positive aspect if you don't want to eat out all the time.

However, the other staff that were on while we were there, Tim and Michael, were aloof, bordering on rude. That's when they were actually around. The breakfast was never served by 830 am and the morning we were checking out (sometime after 9 am) we didn't get any breakfast because we had to leave before it was ready.

Tim, who was sauntering around making a half-hearted attempt at getting the breakfast out (this entails putting out bagels and fruit and making some coffee - not that hard) at the time we were going, didn't even pick his head up or make any attempt to greet us/ask us how our stay was etc until I said something to him. Hotel service 101! EPIC FAIL.

We went to Fire Island to get to the beach and relax, not to party hard. I've been on the gay scene for years and am not averse to partying per se, but I don't expect the hotel I'm staying at to function solely on the premise that all their guests are going to party all night and then sleep in.

Now to describe the room. We did not get the room we had been promised - downstairs with easy access to outside for our small dog - that was ok except we had to carry her up and down the small spiral staircase - BUT, although the room we got was quite a nice and had a reasonable sized bathroom, the "king size" bed was really short (I'm 5 foot 9 and my feet hung over the end) with a big, uncomfortable hump in the middle (two singles pushed together?) and the sheets were polyester and the pillows lumpy.

We had to empty our garbage bin every day and nobody cleaned or made our room up or checked if we needed/wanted clean linen. I'm all for trying to be energy efficient but would like to have been offered a choice.

As we were paying hotel room rates and the Madison calls itself a hotel, having the room made up should be part of the "service". These rates included a $50 per night surcharge for the dog, apparently for the extra cleaning involved. As there was no cleaning done while we were there this charge is iniquitous.

Another guest confided in me that the place had "gone downhill" from his stay the year before and it was a bit rundown. The pool sides have buckled and there was piece of wood with a nail sticking out from the side near the deep end.

Things were generally a little shabby compared to the images on the Madison's website.

As I said, we were upstairs and noticed that the fire alarm in our room was missing with a few wires hanging down where it should have been. That wasn't a concern to us up until we observed that there isn't any other way down except via the internal and very narrow, spiral staircase. Surely, this a breech of the fire code. Every dwelling in that part of the island is wooden. We were told that the new building near the ferry wharf had replaced one that had burnt down, and the Fire Brigade makes its presence felt every midday by testing the alarm, so the risk of a fire cannot be ruled out.

The Madison doesn't really know what it is. It isn't a hotel because it doesn't offer what most people expect when they stay in a hotel. It's more an expensive, post party crash pad, where you pay a lot to cater for yourself.

Needless to say, we won't be reprising our stay at the Madison.

9  Thank LauraWinMac

Been to The Madison Fire Island Pines? Share your experiences!