“Nice Idea, Poor Reality”

Holiday Inn Express
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Fishkill
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Arrival / check-in went smoothly and quickly. The room was nice, although a bit too cramped to fit in the luggage carrier. There was a handy bench near the beds to sit on and use as a changing table. The rooms were quiet, and pleasant smelling. Beds were comfortable, and there were plenty of pillows. The AC/Heater unit was easy to program for the temp we wanted. On the downside, the heavier lined curtains would not shut all the way. We checked to see if we were just doing it wrong, but no, the track wasn't built to close. ??? Assume it must have been because they would have then covered the AC/Heat unit, but couldn't they have just put in shorter curtains? The result was not being able to shut out the light, making sleep difficult because of outside lights, and not really feeling as if someone couldn't see in. Hmmm. The bathroom looked really nice. However, the shower didn't have anything to avoid being very slippery, and although I'm not generally an unsteady person, I felt the need to be extra-extra careful. Then the towel rack fell completely off the wall when I was trying to put a towel on it. I could push the screw right back into the hole, so you could tell this was not a new thing and that they need some spackle or an anchor to better secure it. Hubby went to make coffee in the morning in our complimentary pot / package, but found that the cord and where the coffee-maker is plugged in doesn't allow you to pull it out far enough out of the area it's in to be able to open it and pour the water in. <<sigh>> This started to add up to a Nice Idea, but Poor Reality result for us, and why I titled the review as I did. If it were only $99 / night, I might have expected some of these things, but for a few dollars more there are much nicer places nearby. Overall I would say it wasn't a bad experience, but I'd pick another hotel if I had the chance. Too bad, because it did look like a nice place.

Room Tip: We were on 2nd floor, back side of the hotel. It was quiet, although we were pretty sure there were...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
HIEX-Fishkill, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Tracy B –

We do believe that guest feedback is a crucial factor in how we operate as a hotel, and I would like to thank you for providing you opinion. It is reassuring that you found the rooms quiet and the beds comfortable. I did notice that you stated that you had an issue whereas the curtains did not close all of the way. All of our rooms do have two sets of curtains (as most hotels do), the front set of curtains in the room are for decoration only, as the curtains closest to the window (the blackout curtains) are opaque and overlap each other by a few inches; they are designed to block any light attempting to come into room. Our staff did inspect the curtains in the room you stayed in to ensure that they are working correctly. Also, you did experience problems with the bathrooms. We have taken your suggestions and looked at the towel rack to ensure that it is secured to the wall. All of our showers do have the non-slip surface that is a required standard for all Holiday Inn Express hotels. However, as an extra measure of safety, we have inspected that surface in the room you stayed in to ensure that it is serving its purpose. Once again, we do take any guest comments that we receive seriously and do appreciate the information brought forth by them. We do hope that you will give us another chance when you return to the area so you can take notice our prompt response to correct any errors.

Holiday Inn Express Fishkill – Mid-Hudson

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Had a bit of a false start when I checked in... no one came to the front desk for a good 5 min. (it was well past check-in time...) I could hear people talking in a back office, I just could not see anyone. Finally resorted to calling the hotel. A "ring for service" bell would take care of the problem, or just a bit more attention to detail... Other than that, I was pleased. Rooms are nicely furnished, roomy, clean and have everything that you might need, incl. wireless at no extra charge, microwave, fridge, etc. There were at least two women's collegiate rugby teams there (I was in town to watch the DII Womens' Rugby "Sweet Sixteen" tourney up in Poughkeepsie at Vassar), but it was very quiet. Just a block or so off I-84, but again, noise was not a problem at all. Would stay here again. Nice area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
HIEX-Fishkill, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear carderock –

Thank you for sharing the details of your stay with us, we really do appreciate the guest feedback. Although I am happy that you found the rooms comfortable and well-equipped, however I am concerned about your first impression of the hotel. As this is not reflective of our normal level of service, I am taking a look at what happened that particular day to ensure the desk is fully staffed at all times, as I do not want to experience a repeat of this inconvenience. Once again, thanks for the overall positive comments about our hotel and we do look forward to you next stay with us.

Holiday Inn Express Fishkill – Mid-Hudson

Reviewed 23 November 2013

hotel is located right on route 84 and 9 - very easy access to anywhere around
checkin/out went fast and easy, room was comfortable quite and standard in holiday inn level
breakfast is very basic but this is the holiday inn usa standard as well
overall good value for money

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
HIEX-Fishkill, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Dear Shmulik C.

Thank you very much for letting us in your opinion of our hotel, we always do appreciate the guest feedback. As we do have prime location within steps of many shopping and dining options, and we do offer more than the others in the area with no additional cost, we are happy that you did enjoy your overall experience with us. We do look forward to your return visit to our hotel.

Holiday Inn Express Fishkill - Mid-Hudson

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Spent two nights here in late October and found it very pleasant, clean, and we'll-staffed. Front desk was courteous and accommodating. It was not our first choice but if we go back to the area, we'll likely make it our hotel of choice in Fishkill.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
HIEX-Fishkill, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Dear Notawino -

Thank you for providing visitors of TripAdvisor a summary of the positive experience you had with us. Even though our hotel was not your initial preference in our region, I am glad that we won you over!!! The staff is also very happy that our hard work and attentiveness to our guests did not go unnoticed. We look forward to your next visit with us when you return to our region.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Clean hotel, nice room, small bathroom but nicely laid out and clean, staff very nice, breakfast was the standard holiday inn fare. Located close to 84 easy on and off. good internet service, nice indoor pool

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
HIEX-Fishkill, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Joseph D -

I am very happy that you did have an enjoyable stay at our property. The staff at the hotel does work their hardest to go above and beyond the call of duty to serve our guests, and we always do appreciate the recognition. We will see you the next time that travels bring you back to our region.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, Fishkill, New York while in the area for a wedding. When invited to the wedding the invitations listed this hotel as being one of two preferred hotels for the event. When I called to make my reservation I was told that there was no available group rates as the hotel required a 2-night minimum and the family declined to contract with that stipulation. Personally I cannot see why anyone would need a two night stay for a Friday evening wedding, probably explaining why the vast majority of the wedding guests were at the Residence Inn next door. However, I am a IHG Rewards Club member and have a loyalty to the IHG brands. I made reservations for one night, more than a month in advance, at a rate somewhat above what I expect to pay for a Holiday Inn Express along a major interstate highway.
We arrived an hour prior to check-in time. Our room was ready and we were allowed to check in. we were assigned to room 120, first floor, end of the hall, making access to our car very convenient out the end door. The room was sufficient, somewhat smaller than expected as we normally are upgraded automatically. On a positive note the room, as well as the entire facility and grounds was very clean. That was the only compliment I can give the stay. The wedding kept us out until midnight. Returning I turned the air conditioning on for a while but it made gurgling noises anytime the compressor was operating making sleep difficult. There was no option on the thermostat allowing just continuous fan operation so I had to shut it completely off. I was awake at 4:00 AM thinking there were people in my room, talking, and then realizing I was hearing the conversation, and activities, of those in room 118 quite clearly. Little sleep followed as there was a steady stream of early risers using the end door …. accessing the “Smoker’s Pole” just outside. Then it seemed that everyone needed to use the ice and vending machines on the other side of our room, so a late night and an early morning.
I know that there are rooms in every facility that are less desirable than others. There is a room next to the vending machines, elevators or other inconsiderate neighbors on every floor that may have noise issues, some hotels just seem to have ‘thinner walls’ than others. Reading other reviews of this hotel show that room 112, across the hall from the pool has received complaints, (probably why the pool doesn’t open until late in the morning) I’ll add room 120 to the list of undesirable room. These rooms should be filled last. I have showed up at a hotel, late in the evening, which had a nearly full house, without a reservation and accepted a less than desirable room, and I can understand. However, my reservation was made over a month in advance, usually my status as an IHG Rewards Platinum Elite Member provides me with a level of service that was not evident at the Holiday Inn Express in Fishkill and I surely will not visit this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the end of 1st floor hallway. Very noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JDL12424
HIEX-Fishkill, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Dear JDL12424,

Thank you for your most recent stay and for sharing our review on TripAdvisor. After reading your posting, I do appreciate the comments about the cleanliness and the physical conditions of our room. I also did notice that you did experience some issues with your stay. We have taken them into consideration so we can alleviate any future problems of the same nature. Once again, thank you for staying with us.

Holiday Inn Express Fishkill- Mid-Hudson

Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

The room was a good size. Appreciated having the fridge there. Everything was clean and the staff was friendly. The breakfast was adequate cereal, breads and eggs and sausage. fresh fruit is available in the lobby all the time. The bathroom was a bit small, but well designed to include a good sized sink area for cosmetics and such. Would stay again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
HIEX-Fishkill, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear codysport -

Thank you for choosing to provide your experience of your stay on TripAdvisor. I really do appropriate the kind words about our staff and services at the hotel. We look forward to your next stay with us!!!

Holiday Inn Express Fishkill - Mid-Hudson