“No more breakfast buffet!”
Review of Courtyard Fishkill

Courtyard Fishkill
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Fishkill
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I have traveled here for many years. The price is very high for a two-star - maybe three-star property. Recently, Courtyard has replaced the traditional lobby restaurant offering waiter service and full, hot buffet breakfast; instead, they now have a coffee-shop style operation with pre-pack, takeout-food and coffee. The average ticket price is the same or more, but patrons eat off paper and plastic, have a limited selection and no waiter. I LOVE the hot breakfast buffet. I like the waiter! For $10, I got a huge, hot breakfast, eggs cooked the way I like them and had widevariety. Now, I pay the same, but Courtyard offers over-priced PRE-PACKAGED food and coffee. If I wanted a Starbucks, I'd go to one. I get it - the business model is charge the same, but reduce overhead, costs and muss and fuss. However, I won't patronize this new food outlet. Instead, I will go to the many other food outlets. Don't get me wrong - the new remodel IS attractive, comfortable and clean. However, I resent the new business model - charge the same or MORE and provide less and less in return. Why would I want to pay four dollars for coffee in a paper cup instead of a buck and a half in a china mug? I do not. Why would I want food prepared off-site and chilled in plastic rather than have fresh food prepared to my order. The answer is I don't. This is not an inexpensive hotel. The average property price runs in the HUNDREDS of dollars - $200 or more is common. Hey Marriott, you are CRAZY. I will go to another chain and pay less and get more. I get it. Poughkeepsie is busy and some travelers at IBM have plenty of corporate money to spend. However, professional people like me will make price-sensitive selections. Too bad, too, because I liked this hotel. Oh, and you can forget about the complimentary coffee service in the lobby, too. Instead, you can spend buy a cup of coffee now for $3.00. Later. Hello, Hilton Garden Inn with exactly what I am looking for, plus the Fishkill property is new!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank CaptAlfred

Reviewed 9 March 2012

I read some recent reviews that weren't so good about this hotel but most of them were a couple of years old so I decided to book a stay here because I want reward points. Well I got lucky. This hotel has recently been remodeled (I stayed end of February 2012) to the new Courtyard standard. Everything in the rooms is new, and the lobby is very upscale. This is an old school Courtyard in the sense that the original structure is the older style so they have an actual enclosed Courtyard. My room faced the courtyard and was very quiet. I would imagine all the rooms would be quiet as well. The expressway is close but not so close that you would here cars and trucks unless your window's open. There's a lot of restaurants in the area, my favorite being a Mexican restaurant called Maya Cafe and Cantina. There's also a movie theater across the parking lot, a great diner across the street, Cracker Barrel, Panera Bread, Charlie Brown's Steak House and a lot more as you head down Rt 9 towards the north. It takes about 1/2 hour to get up to Hyde Park, which is home to the Culinary Institute (book reservations for dinner) and the FDR House, which is an excellent tour of the house FDR grew up in and lived in most of his life, as well as the Presidential Library which was the very first Presidential library. The tour is $14 and even runs on Sundays.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room facing the courtyard. You will be assured no road noise as I-84 is fairly clos...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank NewYorkDon67
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Stayed here, again, for a work trip. Clean room and friendly staff. Downside was that the shower head was broken and its slightly pricey. I like the location being off the expressway and around shopping and food. Very good overall stay.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Central location to attractions and restaurants was terrific. The hard bed and noisy heating unit were not so. Nice public spaces, indoor pool and hot tub. Very friendly service.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Check-in was very fast and professionally conducted. This Courtyard has been renovated and is very modern looking. The room was clean, quiet, and the bed was comfortable. The hotel borders on major roads (I-84 and Route 9). There is a Charlie Brown's and Ruby Tuesday restaurant within walking distance. Next door is a Hilton Garden Inn, which is nice for price competition. Parking is more than ample. Overall, a very nice overnight visit.

Room Tip: Get a room facing away from the Interstate located in back of the hotel to minimize traffic noise.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank nyny019
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Stood for one night only in this newly renovated Courtyard. Very welcoming, friendly and helpful staff. We specially liked the large room and the vicinity to a wal-mart super market. Staying here again? Sure!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Made a reservation at this hotel and secured it with a credit card. Went to check in at 5:30 pm and there were two weddings also booked at the hotel. Desk clerk (who was very nice, no complaints about the staff) and her manager both said they couldn't find my reservation. They even called the Courtyard in Poughkeepsie and the Residence Inn but both hotels didn't have the reservation.

I wasn't the only one there checking in at that time who had problems. There was a family checking in and a gentleman checking in that the computer system "couldn't find" their reservations either.

So, I asked to book the room for the night at the $109 AAA discount rate that I reserved. The manager kept maintaining that I didn't have a reservation and that she couldn't honor my reserved rate. She told me the room rate was $179 for the night!

At this point I got tired of the bait and switch and walked out. Went next door to the Hilton Garden and got a room for $2 less than my original reserved rate.

I think that with two wedding parties in the hotel, Marriott overbooked the hotel and anyone who wasn't there for the weddings got their reservation cancelled. I better not be charged for this. I will never stay at Marriott again. It's not the staff's fault. The fault lies in the Marriott reservation system for overbooking the hotel. Caveat emptor - make sure you have your reservation number or you're screwed.

Room Tip: Keep your reservation number and confirm by phone at the hotel or Marriott will cancel you.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
CourtyardGMFishkill, General Manager at Courtyard Fishkill, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Thank you for your review on November 13. We deeply regret the experience you had while checking into our hotel. After receiving your review, we gave our front desk team some feedback and additional training on how to handle a situation like this in the future.

I can assure you Marriott's Reservation's department does not secure reservations with a credit card and then cancel them. I would like to research your reservation further if given the opportunity. You can reach me directly by calling the Fishkill Courtyard by Marriott hotel main number.

Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to speaking with you.