“Quiet and quaint B&B, great food, exceptional service”

River Run Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 3 Fleischmanns B&B and Inns
Schwenksville, Pennsylvania
“Quiet and quaint B&B, great food, exceptional service”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We enjoy coming back to River Run often. The value is great, the home is clean and cozy. You are greeted by soft music playing, and fresh baked cookies. We always meet wonderful friends over breakfast, which is always fresh and delicious. Fleischmans is a tiny little town, so if you are looking to relax and unwind, this is the perfect place for you. There are 4 star restaurants (LOVE the PeekaMoose!) just down the road, and plenty of day excursions (skiing, tubing, horseback riding, Woodstock, massages) the Innkeeper can recommend, based on your preferences. Especially love lounging on the big front porch, or walking down to the river. Thanks for taking great care of us every time we return!

Room Tip: Check out the photos and descriptions to make sure your needs suit the room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
riverrun, Owner at River Run Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Thanks so much for the review. Yes, the cookies are usually out in the winter (an advantage of staying here during the ski season!). And Fleischmanns is tiny, but with a string of great villages along the Route 28 corridor, it's a great area to explore. Yes, the Peekamoose is one of our favorites as well. I look forward to your return!
--Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I booked this place a few weeks in advance as part of a weekend getaway. The pictures look great but this place was so run down that my fiance and I literally looked at each other in shock upon entering and promptly walked out.

To the proprietor, I'm sorry for the bad review and I'm sure you will blast me for writing this (you are in the service industry, learn to deal with bad reviews) but I wasted time and money planning to stay at a place that is misrepresented by the photos.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank John D
riverrun, Owner at River Run Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
No, I'm not going to blast you. I actually don't remember you, since you said you booked back in July. I hope that I gave you a full refund, and if I didn't, please contact me and I will be happy to do so. The house is not perfect, but there are ongoing projects & upkeep (for example, the Esopus room is being completely redone next month, and all of the carpets on the third floor are being replaced in May). Thanks for your comments, and I hope you found alternate accommodations that met your expectations.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The joy of travel is in the unexpected. The town of Fleischmanns seemed at first sight to be of a faded past. Indeed, it does have a fascinating past as a summer resort of the wealthy from NY. Accordingly, it has some of the most beautiful old houses, which are being slowly restored to their former glory. The River Run B&B is one of these. The very hospitable and helpful proprietor Ben has furnished it lovingly with the most interesting and diverse collection of antiques and memorabilia. We especially enjoyed early evenings on the very spacious porch sipping a glass of red wine after a wonderful day hiking the Catskill trails. Information on these trails was provided by Ben & gave us some of our best experiences in our tour of New England in the Fall.
He also recommended the fantastic restaurant Peekamoose within a short drive from Fleischmanns. Ben himself is a wonderful cook and the generous home cooked breakfasts were a special treat. But perhaps the greatest treat of all was his gracious invitation for us Australian visitors to join him and his friends in capella singing one evening to the psalms of the Sacred Harp. An very special experience that we will always treasure.

Room Tip: We had the Esopus Room which was spacious and lovely.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
I'm so glad you were able to be here during a community singing night. I think you really sum up the inn well: idiosyncratic. Thanks...that's exactly what we are. It was a pleasure meeting you. Thanks!
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the River Run for a weekend looking to escape the city in a comfortable and relaxing environment. We got all this and more. Ben, the innkeeper, provided us with a great room (as described) and great suggestions for hiking and dining in the area. Our hike is where he blew us away. You see, we managed to get ourselves on a different trail from what we intended and what was supposed to be a 4 mile hike turned into a ten mile disaster. A call to Ben assured us of where we were and directed us to keep following certain trail markers. In addition, Ben drove miles out of his way to where we would eventually come out and he even met us 45 minutes into his end of the hike! This guy was a hero! Truly went above and beyond for his guests. 10000% recommended, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013
7 Thank Josephcassano
All's well that ends well. And now you have a memory of an adventure in the Catskills! It was great to meet you and a pleasure to help out. I look forward to your return.
New York
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We were in the area to spectate Border Collie Trials in Cooperstown. We researched the area and chose the River Run. We were not disappointed. It is charming and quiet. The Delaware Room was very comfortable, with enough room for us and our dog! Breakfasts were simple, but delicious, my favorite being the salsa frittata. Every morning the dish changed. The innkeeper, Ben is so pleasant and is so knowledgeable about local restaurants and hiking trails. He made our visit so easy. He even made a reservation for us, the evening we arrived. We loved sitting by the river, having our sundowner, with our dog by our side. Would recommend this B and B to anyone looking for tranquility and simple comfort.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
So glad you enjoyed your stay. Your dog was so sweet! Thanks again, and I look forward to your return.
West Chester, PA
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My husband and I were heading up to the Catskills unexpectedly. Because we made a last minute decision to go, calling to Bed and Breakfasts in the area they were either full or their rooms did not include a private bathroom. So, when we called River Run we were surprised that we were able to get a choice of a room.....so we did not have great expectations upon arrival. Ben, the owner has decorated the very welcoming living room and sitting room and various areas in the inn with collectibles from his family....what fun to explore and hear the stories associated with them. Our room was clean and comfortable. No air conditioning, but the ceiling fan and the cool nights made sleeping perfect. Breakfast was superb. What creative offferings. Ben and a few of the guests got us so interested in a local happening (in which they were performing) that we even headed out to a local pot luck and and their performance. We felt right at home throughout our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Delaware room and I thought it might be noisy as it was in the front of the house o...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
riverrun, Owner at River Run Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thanks for the review. Yes, last minute reservation are generally tough, but you got lucky as I had just had a cancellation for that room. The Delaware is great, as it's the largest room in the house (aside from the Retro Suite). And I'm so glad you got to have a true local Catskills experience while you were here. Thanks again, and we look forward to your return.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 August 2013

River Run is a very charming place; the room we had (Esopus) was big, quiet and comfortable; the breakfast was simply delicious, with a variety of food and freshly baked apples/quiches; Benjamin has been very friendly and recommended us some good trips known only to the locals; there is a quiet, nice porch where my wife and I enjoyed the late evenings. We are back in the city now, and miss it so much!!

Room Tip: The Esopus was great, I don't know about the other rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks so much for the review. Yes, the front porch is great for lazy summer afternoons. Also glad you enjoyed the Esopus room (it's one of the most popular as it has three stained glass windows that catch the morning light). If you're feeling like another country getaway from the city, we would be happy to host you again. Thanks!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fleischmanns
Cold Spring Lodge
#1 of 2 in Pine Hill
Spillian: A Place to Revel
Spillian: A Place to Revel
#1 of 3 in Fleischmanns

Been to River Run Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!