“Lovely Trip to the Catskills”

River Run Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Fleischmanns B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Let me be the first to say that B&Bs are not my thing. However, Ben, the inn keeper was very accommodating and kind. We ended up having to switch our rooms because I did not want to stay in the retro suite. Ben was lovely. He gave us the option to choose from any other room available in the house. And thankfully there was no one else on the top floor of the house that would have to share the communal bathroom. Overall this is a lovely little retreat. There is on street parking, but the street seems quite and safe. I would recommend this to fellow catskill travelers.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
riverrun, Owner at River Run Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Thanks so much for the review. You're absolutely right: B&Bs are not for everyone. I'm glad I was able to swap rooms for you (it's about making the guest happy, right?). And that you had a great couple of days exploring the Catskills. Thanks again, and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

My girlfriend and I wanted to get away from NYC for a long weekend and do something fun and relaxing (we're in our 20's work in NYC) without breaking the bank. We stumbled on River Run online and took a chance based on the good reviews and proximity to the city and skiing.

I have to say that we could not have been more pleasantly surprised! The proprietor, Ben, is just the nicest guy you will meet, He knows the area intimately and was a huge help to us in planning activities. He even went so far as to arrange some really special experiences for us such as linking us up with some of his friends in the area making maple syrup.

The inn itself is a charming old home in a quint, quiet town. Ben keeps the place nice and clean and we found the room we stayed in to be very comfortable. One of the things that set River Run apart for us is that we felt as if we were guests in our own home (there's a pantry, movie collection, etc available to use) which really helped me relax and enjoy myself.

While the BnB thing may not be for those looking for a pre-packaged type vacation, if you're the adventurous type willing to take the time to do a bit of planning upfront then I could not recommend River Run more. If you're comfortable doing a bit of driving an exploring, there are also some really interesting and fun things to do in the Catskills even if skiing isn't your thing.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks so much for the review. I'm blushing a little. ;-) I do love the area, and I love hospitality. I'm so glad you got to go out to the Lazy Crazy Acres Farm sap house when they were boiling...it's such a cool experience. And yea, there are lots of cool & interesting things to do in the Catskills if you're willing to be a little adventurous. It was such a pleasure having you as guests, and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I've stayed at River Run several years in a row and have never had a problem. The rooms are clean and comfortable, Ben is very attentive and the continental breakfast is delicious. The baked french toast is my personal favorite. In fact, I'm getting ready to contact Ben to book my next visit. If you're looking for a quiet, friendly B&B in the catskills, I highly recommend River Run. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I've stayed at least twice in Esopus and once or twice in Beaverkill.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for the review. The baked French toast is a house favorite, although we do have quiche too that's great! Both the Esopus & Beaverkill rooms are great, as they can accommodate up to 3 - 4 people & have private bathrooms. Thanks again, and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

This was our second time staying at River Run and Ben never disappoints...he's an excellent host. Perfect location for skiing Belleayre (5 minutes away tops)....excellent breakfast and such a comfortable and very affordable inn to stay at. Ben will make you feel welcome whether you have 14 in your party (our first visit) or 4.

Room Tip: If you have a large party the third floor is perfect....several rooms with enough full baths to shar...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks for the review. As you said, we're just 5 minutes (2 miles) from Belleayre Ski Center, yet you can walk down the street to dinner at LaCabana Mexican Restaurant (an advantage of being in the village). The third floor IS great for a group of 8 - 10, with a total of 4 rooms & 2 hall bathrooms. Thanks again, and I look forward to your return.
---Ben

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stay in River Run in the winter as it offers such good access to Bellayre for skiing. While it does not offer a super smart environment that is what makes it relaxing especially especially with children as you are not worried about what might break. In fact Ben could not be more welcoming to families and skiers. Imagine going to stay at granny's house with floral wallpaper and attic-like rooms and that is what you have here.

• Stayed: February 2014

Thanks for the review. Great sum up of the inn. Comfortable & relaxing, and family friendly is what we are. And it's not the end of the world if something accidentally breaks! I'm pretty laid back. Thanks again, and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

This has been our second year taking a skiing trip in the Catskills and our second yr coming to River Run. The breakfast is wonderful and there is tea in the afternoon, which after a full day of skiing is very relaxing. The owner, Ben, is very accommodating and hospitable and the house is very comfortable. We were also able to use a fridge on the second floor, allowing us to pack our lunches during the days of skiing. It is also very close to the ski hills. We have made this b&b part of our skiing tradition for two yrs now and hope continue in that!

• Stayed: February 2014

Thanks for the review! Yes, the 2nd floor pantry is handy to store food and make sammies to take on your outings. It was great to have you here again this year, and I look forward to seeing you next ski season!

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I stayed at River Run in early February and loved both the cozy and comfortable room and the wonderful hospitality. The house is furnished with a unique collection of antiques, art, and quirky little objects that give the inn a particular charm that you won't find anywhere else. The common rooms are nicely laid out with books and games and music to encourage "unplugged" entertainment and relaxation-- although there is wireless access throughout the house! Ben is a great host whose genuine concern for and attention to detail shines through especially in the delicious breakfasts he prepares. He also knows his corner of the Catskill Mountains like his own back yard, so be sure to ask him for recommendations on local attractions and restaurants. All in all, a restful and thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: The Delaware room offers plenty of space to spread out and has a lovely, old-fashioned furnishings.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Casey M

YES! Quirky and fun is a very fitting description of the inn. Thanks for your comments, and compliments. I pride myself in knowing some very cool hidden spots in the area that I love to share with my guests. Hope to see you again soon!
---Ben

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fleischmanns
Pine Hill Arms Hotel & Restaurant
Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club
Catskill Seasons Inn
Catskill Seasons Inn
#2 of 3 in Shandaken

Been to River Run Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!