“Best Breakfast at River Run”

River Run Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Fleischmanns B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 June 2007

I saw the quaint house online looking for a resonable priced B&B near Magaretville, and fell in love with the River Run. When I called for info, Ben was so helpful with my questions, since I was booking for 4 couples with different needs. The rooms were all comfy, clean, with fans and country fresh air to cool the rooms. We all loved the stained glass accents that decorated each room, as well as the antique touches to the living and parlor rooms. But most of all, I have to say that Ben and Melissa's breakfasts were outstanding with their variety and presentation. They definitely made us feel at home. In the evening, we always rejoined on their beautiful wrap around porch, which was filled with gentle breezes and melodius sounds from the many chimes. A totally relazing experience.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank katmoo

Reviewed 19 March 2007

Pleasant experience with the River Run. Ben and Melissa were pleasant and full of info. Rooms were clean and maintained, showing nominal wear & tear. Linens were warm and comfy. House gets cool at night -just what you want to snuggle under the warm covers. All part of the charm of a 120 year old Victorian. Thanks Ben, we'll return soon!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2006

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The Bed and Breakfast accomodations were very comfortable and charming. The hosts were friendly, patient and full of information and suggestions. The breakfasts were delicious!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2006

I have read a recent review of this wonderful Bed and Breakfast and I must say I am compelled to offer a second opinion. (Much more in line with the others I read prior to our stay.)

Folks who stay at River Run are interested in good clean accommodations, and a hearty breakfast to get them on their way for whatever daily activities await. We were at RR during the Holidays to ski and spend time in the area with family. The rooms were most comfortable, warm, and especially clean. The service was outstanding: from delicious breakfasts of freshly baked breads and quiches or other casseroles in the mornings, to the just baked cookies or brownies warm from the oven in the afternoon. Cold and hot drinks were always available.

The housekeeping staff was friendly and made us feel at home throughout our stay. And when we asked, it didn't take long for Ben to bring out a menu for a nearby restaurant, or to recommend a place for a quick snack on our way home. Both recommendations were excellent choices!

If one is looking for a bleak and bland room with a stark decor, I expect the coziness of Ben's unique decorator touches, and family heritage momentos for conversations and imaginations would not be appealing. For the rest of us, I say, "Let's go back soon"!

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank mhougen
Reviewed 30 January 2006

Just spent the best weekend of my life and it was mostly due to the lovely hospitality that I received while staying at the River Run Bed and Breakfast. I went upstate to do some skiing and fell in love with the quiet, wonderfully decorated Victorian and it's owners. Most NYC residents foolishly turn right when heading out of Belleayre Ski Resort, but I felt like the smart one and made a left, entering the sleepy village of Fleichmanns. The rooms were gorgeous, the linens elegant, and the common rooms so comforable. Our hosts were gracious and bent over backwards to make me feel at home. I can't wait to come back again. (And their breakfasts were deeeeelish!)

• Stayed: January 2006
2  Thank MartinisRYummy
Reviewed 18 January 2006

Just returned from a stay at the River Run B&B. It was not what I expected. The place was so in need of repairs. We had no heat, the "cozy" fireplace was not on, the bedding was probably from the early 80's and the towels were just as old. Breakfast was a disappointment. No eggs, bacon, pancakes, waffles, etc. We booked two rooms for a Friday and Saturday night, but left on Saturday and ate the cost just to get out of there. Sorry Ben, but you really need to invest in some renovations, updates, etc. before you have people over.

• Stayed: January 2006
1  Thank Michael G
riverrun, Ben & Melissa Fenton, owners at River Run Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2006

This guest made no mention of being unhappy with anything about the inn during his stay. To specifically respond to his comments: 1) The heat in the house is kept at 68 degrees in the winter. We provide oil filled electric radiators (very safe) if your room is chilly. 2) As a rule, we don't leave the gas fireplace on all the time. If we notice guests in the parlor, we'll turn it on. There is also a note on the fireplace that says: If you'd like the fireplace turned on, please let us know. 3) All of the linen was purchased new 5 years ago when we purchased the inn. 4) As menioned on our website, on emails we send out when guests are interested in staying at the inn, as well as in our confirmation letter, our breakfast consists of the following: one hot dish (baked French toast, quiche, etc), fresh baked bread (banana, pumpkin, etc), English muffins, bagels, fresh fruit, dried fruit, granola, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, cereals, oatmeal, orange juice, milk, coffee & tea. 5) At 4pm, the guest who booked the 2 rooms informed me that due to the forecasted overnight snow, they all were leaving and heading to their next destination. I told him that I'd have to charge him for the night unless I was able to rent the rooms. They left about 5pm, and I was unable to re-rent the rooms for the evening. If at any point during his stay he had mentioned being unhappy with the inn or his accommodations, I would have tried to rectify the situation or offered him a refund.

A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed 7 September 2005

Two summers ago we "discovered" this inn in the Catskills and were instantly charmed, so much that we have returned countless times, whenever we can. Staying at River Run is like staying with friends -- but our friends never made us such delicious breakfasts, nor took time during the day to bake brownies so we could magically find them on a plate in the dining room as a late-night snack. Inn keepers Ben and Melissa are so welcoming and so generous with all guests, providing whatever you need (maps, directions, suggestions of what to do that day, extra towels to take to the nearby lake, dinner reservations) so you have a wonderful stay in a beautiful part of the Catskills. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fleischmanns
Albergo Allegria
#1 of 2 in Margaretville
Breezy Hill Inn
Breezy Hill Inn
#3 of 3 in Fleischmanns

Been to River Run Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!