“Great Sushi”

Cuisines: Japanese
West Hempstead, New York
“Great Sushi”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The restaurant is a jewel. The food and service is awesome. The restaurant is small and cozy always immaculate. Great sushi...

• Visited May 2013

“awesome food and great service!!! a must try”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I was in the area and I looked up nearby japanese restaurants, and torigo came up with great reviews on zagat so. decide to check it out. I had nothing less than a wonderful experience. they have homemade iced green tea which was so delicious and I wanted it semi sweet and they made it just to my liking. they brought out a complimentary tasting on the house which was vermicelli noodles in a sweet and spicy sauce, I love that! the shrimp shumai was amazing!! they have so many awesome sushi rolls to choose from. I ordered the angry tuna roll which was tuna, cucumber, crunchy, and rolled in crushed red pepper. it was very spicy which is what I wanted and so delicious! the water was extremely attentive and friendly and definitely made me feel welcome. I cannot wait to come back to this place next time I am in the area and try some other items on the menu. 2 thumbs up!!

• Visited April 2013
ny
“Sushi Yumminess!”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This restaurant is closed on Tuesdays. Luckily for us, we went on a Wednesday. It's quite easy to pass this restaurant and not realize what a treasure you'd be missing and end up at the other sushi restaunt one block away as the storefront is in the midst of a block of cloned storefronts and the front window is screened to allow the patrons privacy while eating. Torigo is located adjacent to an accupuncture/massage place and across from the Wendy's on the South side of Jericho Turnpike and there is metered parking in the front of the restaurant as well as a lot a block away.

When you first walk into Torigo, the space looks very small. The front of the restaurant has a sushi bar with barstool seating along the right wall with the kitchen located immediately behind that. On the left are six 2-top tables that were arranged in two groups of three when we arrived. As you walk past the sushi bar, there are a few 4-top tables placed along the kitchen wall and a few 4-top tables in the back where we were seated. In total, I'd estimate that the restaurant has seating for about 30-35 people max at one time. There is also a bathroom in the back, but it is a unisex bathroom and there wasn't a changing table in there that I noticed. There is a back door to the restarant and the space is adequately lit and tastefully decorated.

On the night we arrived, we got to the restaurant around 6:30/7:00 and there were only two other parties seated so we were immediately placed at a table in the back, which was nice as each party had plenty of privacy and didn't feel crowded in by fellow diners.

We ordered green tea, appetizers, entrees, and dessert. The waiter was patient and helpful and polite and he kept our tea mugs filled at all times. The bill came to less than $60 without tip for the both of us.

For appetizers we each had miso soup and shared a bowl of edamame and an order of pork gyoza. The soup was nice and hot and not too salty or watered down. The edamame was also hot and arrived in a bowl that was so full the two of us couldn't finish it all. The gyoza surprised both of us because we have ordered it at other locations before and been served a steamed item but here it was fried and had a crunchy onion topping. It was tasty and arrived piping hot.

For the main course, we ordered 4 different rolls that our very patient watier helped us select. I had the "Mom's Favorite" and a Futomaki roll and my friend ordered "Dad's Favorite" and a roll that had a wasabi outside. I originally ordered a Dragon Roll, which was not listed on the menu, but the waiter informed me before the roll price was currently $16 due to the current market price of eel. The rolls were very generously sized and we were both very happy with out orders. I was told that the wasabi roll wasn't as spicy-hot as my friend thought it would be. We both finished all pieces of our meal. The fish and the rice in the rolls was nice and fresh and delicious tasting.

The desert they offer here is standard sushi-restaurant desserts; green tea, vanilla and chocolate ice cream, a fried ice cream, cheesecake and a platter of fresh pineapple. My friend ordered the green tea ice cream. I did not order dessert and I thought the pineapple platter was overpriced at $6. I probably would have ordered that if it were cheaper, which the rest of the desserts were. I was told that the ice cream was very good. I didn't try is as I can't eat it anyway.

The only bad part of our visit is that, during desert, the kitchen staff started making a fish broth that was much too fragrant and had us holding our napkins and shirts over our noses. Our waiter realized very quickly that we were suddenly uncomfortable and kindly moved us to the front of the restaurant at a table where we didn't suffer the smell.

I would readily go back to this restaurant, but if I would request to be seated in the front next time if I go on fish broth making night. I'd also recommend it to anyone who enjoys a sushi dinner and is in that area. I took a point off of this review specifically because of how bad the fish broth smell was when we were there.

• Visited March 2013
Floral Park, New York
“Always good”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I love this place, I find that their sushi is always fresh, no matter what I get. I especially love the fourth of july roll...to die for.

• Visited August 2012
Roslyn, New York
“Hands Down - Our Favorite Japanese Restaurant”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Exceptional family owned restaurant. Authentic and beautifully prepared Japanese food. Service is wonderful and very accommodating. The sushi is amazing, delicious appetizers, and wonderful large fresh salads with fantastic japanese dressings. Terrific selection and variety of hot and cold sake. Absolutely our favorite Japanese restaurant anywhere!

• Visited September 2011