Travelled with son for one overnight stay before flying overseas. We arrived at 11 PM from LaGuardia. Taxi driver did not know location of this hotel but we had the address and a map. Cost was about $20US for about a 15 minute ride.
No airport shuttle available to the hotel. But, the hotel provides a convenient, flat rate taxi from the hotel to JFK for $22US or to LaGuardia. It is a Chinese operated taxi but the driver speaks English. (I speak Chinese so had no problem).
PROS: Got reduced room rate at senior's rate (aged 50 and up). This is a basic hotel located in Chinatown, but quiet, clean and comfortable and popular with Asians (judging from guests in the breakfast room). Our room, with two full (double), pillow top beds was spacious - lots of room for luggage. Room looked just like hotel photos. So, I do not understand the previous reviews about small rooms (maybe a one-bed room?). Flooring is wood with area rug around beds.
You must insert room card to get "power." This process is very common in hotels throughout Europe and Asia to save energy. So, room may be hot when you return.
Air conditioning worked well. Free WIFI slow but OK. Free local and free US long distance calls a real bonus. Microwave and small in-room fridge also good (and clean).
Breakfast is basic continental with boiled eggs, and some items had "run out" by 9 AM. Breakfast room is very bare bones, clean, no decor - so just eat and run.
Staff stored our bags in a spare room adjacent to the check-in desk at no charge. We took the #7 metro/subway (or called "train") into Manhattan to Grand Central Station. The last stop on the line is Times Square. The walk to the metro is 10 minutes and the trip took about 45 minutes. Train was very packed even during non peak periods. The area is quite safe during daytime. Prince Street from front door of hotel looks commercial - warehouses and parking lot across street.
CONS: Too far to Manhattan and tourist attractions. We stayed at the Red Roof Inn, Manhattan on a previous visit. (Very good). That location is more convenient for sightseeing but at a higher price.
Lobby does not look like photo. There is no real lobby and staff at check in are quite casual but helpful and their English is good. There is no "concierge" but staff can provide good information for getting around.
Our room did not have a balcony but we did have a view of Manhattan and LaGuardia airport.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Red Roof Inn Flushing is located in the heart of downtown. We are minutes away from USTA National Tennis Center (home of the US Open), Shea Stadium, downtown Manhattan and LaGuardia Airport. Guests may relax at the Botanical Gardens, Flushing Meadows Park, or enjoy a city tour of Manhattan. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, HostelWorld, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Super Lake Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Red Roof Inn Flushing Hotel Flushing
- Super Lake Hotel Flushing, New York