“Bed bug hell”

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Flushing
london
“Bed bug hell”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2008

I have just come back from a 3 night stay here and am covered in bed bug bites. It is without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The room was dirty and stank of stale smoke. The bed was clearly covered in mites. It is down a dark, seedy alleyway and not appropriate for female guests.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — bed bugs
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank volvicLondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Bristol VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2008

Stayed here for the price (The Sheraton was double the price) but I' probably won't be staying here again. Thought I'd try it out and see for myself, only had to stay one night. Room was dumpy, furniture old and stained, a little smelly. Linens clean, worn, towels thin. Bathroom clean, good shower. Felt safe enough in the neighborhood, walked around at night. No remote, and front desk couldn't locate one, no vending machines (one near front desk but looked like it was broken and had very little selection), excellent wireless connection (why is it that the dumpiest hotels have the best wireless???) no lounge area to wait for a cab or anything, small, paper thin walls-could hear every noise from every room, even my own TV when I left the room to look for a vending machine. It could be a decent little hotel w/a refurbish, put some $$ into the place Comfort Inn!!!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Sheilamarie

Travellers are raving about these Flushing hotels

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2008

I stayed at this hotel from Nov. 30-Dec. 4, 2007. I chose this hotel based on other travelers' reviews. I had a wonderful experience here. The hotel staff was particularly friendly and helpful from the moment I checked in. The room was very clean and updated. The furniture looked relatively new in the room. This hotel is a great bargain for the budget conscious traveler ($125/night when I booked).

The hotel is located in a very safe area of Queens. I used to live in NYC so I know that this area is known to be very safe. I traveled alone on this trip and I was a single female in her late 20's. I felt very comfortable walking around. The area is predominately Asian and there are wonderful Asian restaurants in the area to dine. There is also a shopping mall just a couple blocks away from the hotel.

The subway station is across the street from the shopping mall and only a short walk from the hotel (subway station is approximately a 7 minute walk from the hotel). You can catch only the #7 subway from the hotel. It is local or express. Sometimes there's a lot of wait time for the express #7 train into Manhattan. If that is the case, you can take the #7 local train to the Roosevelt Avenue stop and then transfer to either the express E or F train into Manhattan. I did that each time I took the train and it was a piece of cake. The express E or F train is also roomier with more seats.

There is a free continental breakfast every morning. I don't eat breakfast, so I can't tell you about the food.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel to the budget conscious traveler who is looking for an affordable, friendly, and very clean hotel. Thumbs up for this hotel! I will definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank Jen0101
Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2007

My wife and I are budget travelers, so we were looking for a good value for the money on our trip to NYC. Staying in Manhattan is horrible expensive, so we searched outside the area. We booked this hotel, and are very glad we did. The area is not the greatest (some vacant buildings, etc), but at no time did we ever feel uncomfortable, day or night. There are some amazing restaurants in the area, I would recommend Joes Shanghai. Many of the restraurants in the area are cash only, so beware! The hotel is conveniently located to the 7 train, and an express trip is about 40 minutes. Our room was very clean, quiet (except for the occasional airplane flying into/out of LaGuardia), and the staff was extremely helpful. One of the gentlemen came up to our room to make sure our internet access was working properly (which is free, by the way). The maid service was wonderful, and the continental breakfast includes waffles, which are great! I have absolutely no hesitation recommending this hotel to anyone, based on our wonderful experience. It is a great way to save some money in NYC!

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rtsteve
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2007

This is the third time we have stayed at the Comfort Inn in Flushing. It is the best deal for the price. For $139/night from November 8-10, 2007, it provides access to Laguardia [we came in on a late flight and needed someplace convenient to stay] and the great asian food in Flushing.

The positives: clean, safes in room, iron, very polite and conscientious service [we requested a particular room and they remembered], good continental breakfast, very near some of the best Chinese and other Asian restaurants in the world [e.g., Joe's Shanghai, Noodle House, Senosa, Ocean Seafood]. Near the 7 train and Long Island Rail Road for easy access to Manhattan [I would suggest using the LIRR -- much faster than the 7 train unless you pick up the express].

The not-so-positive: rooms are indeed small. No parking if you are crazy enough to want to drive in NYC.

Overall, excellent value, convenient to some of the best asian food in the world, close to Laguardia.

• Liked — Access to Laguardia Airport and Asian Food
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2007

My husband and I just returned from a trip to NYC, and we stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. We chose it because of its proximity to Shea Stadium (we are Mets fans) and the relatively low price. It is certainly not fancy, but it is sufficient as a home base/place to sleep. We arrived at about 12pm and were allowed to check in right away. Our room was clean. Based on other reviews, we were expecting a tiny room like the ones we've stayed in while in London, but our room was a decent size. The only complaint I would have about the room would be that there was only one full size bed, but that was ok for us and it was actually fairly comfortable. We didn't hear any traffic noise at night, but you will hear planes flying into and out of nearby La Guardia. Breakfast was good, loved the fact that they have a waffle maker. The only bad thing was the very narrow room.

We thought the location was very convenient, and we did not feel unsafe at all, even at night. However, I think anywhere in a city a woman should probably not walk by herself at night. But honestly, I'd have felt less safe in Manhattan at night. The hotel is in Flushing's Chinatown, which is the largest Chinatown in the world (outside of China, of course). You won't be hard pressed to find great Chinese food nearby, that's for sure. The Flushing-Main St subway stop is only a short walk away, and on weekdays you can take the Express train into Manhattan which saves a lot of time.

Overall, we were pleased with the hotel. If you're looking for luxury, this is not the place for you. But if you're looking for a clean and comfortable place to sleep after you go out and explore during the day, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Liked — Convenience, price
  • Disliked — Tiny breakfast room
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VA_Girl
METSFAN13
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2007

We arrived at 3:00p.m to check into our room and got to our room and it was messy. The room was not even cleaned!!! Apparently their housekeeping did not get to that room yet, the bathroom was dirty, beds unmade, and smelled!! We told the front desk and they apologized and then we were given another room. Which was better because housekeeping just cleaned it....The room was small, but good enough for one night. The location of the hotel isn't in the best spot either. Its close to Shea Stadium (walking distance) only during the day...do not recommend walking at night. Parking was close enough, but not too reliable. I will never go there again, nor recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends