“Clean and convenient”

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Flushing
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Clean and convenient”
Reviewed 25 June 2007

My husband and I just returned from a trip to NYC, and we stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. We chose it because of its proximity to Shea Stadium (we are Mets fans) and the relatively low price. It is certainly not fancy, but it is sufficient as a home base/place to sleep. We arrived at about 12pm and were allowed to check in right away. Our room was clean. Based on other reviews, we were expecting a tiny room like the ones we've stayed in while in London, but our room was a decent size. The only complaint I would have about the room would be that there was only one full size bed, but that was ok for us and it was actually fairly comfortable. We didn't hear any traffic noise at night, but you will hear planes flying into and out of nearby La Guardia. Breakfast was good, loved the fact that they have a waffle maker. The only bad thing was the very narrow room.

We thought the location was very convenient, and we did not feel unsafe at all, even at night. However, I think anywhere in a city a woman should probably not walk by herself at night. But honestly, I'd have felt less safe in Manhattan at night. The hotel is in Flushing's Chinatown, which is the largest Chinatown in the world (outside of China, of course). You won't be hard pressed to find great Chinese food nearby, that's for sure. The Flushing-Main St subway stop is only a short walk away, and on weekdays you can take the Express train into Manhattan which saves a lot of time.

Overall, we were pleased with the hotel. If you're looking for luxury, this is not the place for you. But if you're looking for a clean and comfortable place to sleep after you go out and explore during the day, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Liked — Convenience, price
  • Disliked — Tiny breakfast room
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VA_Girl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
METSFAN13
Reviewed 21 June 2007

We arrived at 3:00p.m to check into our room and got to our room and it was messy. The room was not even cleaned!!! Apparently their housekeeping did not get to that room yet, the bathroom was dirty, beds unmade, and smelled!! We told the front desk and they apologized and then we were given another room. Which was better because housekeeping just cleaned it....The room was small, but good enough for one night. The location of the hotel isn't in the best spot either. Its close to Shea Stadium (walking distance) only during the day...do not recommend walking at night. Parking was close enough, but not too reliable. I will never go there again, nor recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank METSFAN13
Reviewed 28 March 2007

First of all, I'm so glad I read about this hotel on Trip Advisor before arriving, because this place is not exactly user friendly.

The street it's on is narrow and packed with parked cars, so I had to drive down the hill to the commercial parking lot before checking in. The lot is located at the very end of the block, on College Point Blvd. The guy running the lot didn't seem to speak English, he just told me "money! money!", luckily I knew in advance the cost was $15, which you must pay in advance. Be sure to get the little white card from him, on which he has written some Chinese characters and $15, this will allow you to come and go out of the lot.

A big disadvantage to parking in the lot before checking into the hotel is that you must then drag your luggage about a block up a fairly steep hill!

The neighborhood abounds with abandonded looking buildings and big storage lots, and resonates with alarms going off and jets thundering overhead into LaGuardia 3 miles aways. The Asian influence makes it all interesting, atmospheric more than scenic. At the other end of 37th if you're walking, hook a right down Prince street a block or two, and there's a row of Asian restaurants, fast cheap and cash only!

Altho I was a little worried when I entered the lobby, which is not a bit grand to say the least, I felt much better when I saw my room, which was of course small but well equipped and clean as could be. If more Comfort Inns were as clean as this, I would book with the chain more often! My room, (which had a big comfy king bed and loads of pillows, a great work desk and high speed internet, but no microwave or fridge) overlooked the river, with all the bridges and The City, once again not exactly scenic but at least not generic, ya knew you were no place other than Noo Yawk!!!

• Liked — It's well maintained and the front desk is quite helpful
  • Disliked — lack of parking
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank coando
Houston, TX
Reviewed 19 March 2007

After reading reviews here, we decided to try this hotel for the last few days of a family vacation. We had splurged on a few days in Manhattan, but we wanted to spend part of our spring break at a more affordable hotel near a subway line into town. Like most earlier reviewers, we found the hotel to be clean (although the rooms are rather small), the beds comfortable, the rates affordable, the service friendly, and the proximity to the NYC subway convenient (the 7 train runs directly into Times Square from a stop on Main Street about 4 blocks away ). The surrounding neighborhood is part of the Flushing, Queens "Chinatown," and seemed quite safe for us pedestrians. There are many Asian restaurants nearby, along with small shops, and a couple of large national bank branches. As the hotel notes, there is no onsite parking, so if you're arriving by car, you might not be as satisfied as we were. We came here by taxi from midtown Manhattan, and our taxi driver did not know the way. You may want to bring driving directions if coming here from any place other than LaGuardia Airport (a short 10-minutes away). We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Houston_Educator
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 8 July 2006

I stayed here in June '06.

I thought the room was a very good value for the NYC area. In my opinion, rooms in the $150 - $200 range during this time of the year are usually dives.

I flew into LaGuardia and the hotel was about a 10 minute ride from the airport.

The subway was about 4 blocks from the hotel and the ride to 42nd Street took about 30 minutes.

The staff was very friendly, the room was clean, the high-speed internet is free, and they had a nice continental breakfast that was included in the cost of the room.

It's definitely not the fanciest place I've ever stayed, but I'd rather spend the $100 I saved on a nice dinner instead of it going to a hotel operator.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank jkmarsh
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 June 2006

I stayed at the hotel with a couple of friends and my baby over Memorial Day Weekend. The room was small but clean. It was a nice home base for our stay. It was convenient to get into Manhattan by subway and close to LaGuardia. A lot of shopping and restaurants were within blocks. The staff was helpful and I would recommend this as a nice inexpensive way to see NY.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 March 2006

When you first arrive the area is very concerning, the area looks quite dirty and scary. But with a time you realise there is no apparent threat. It is located in flushing's version of china town, therefore we encountered no problems. The hotel room was extremely small, much smaller than any hotel we stayed in over the entire 28 day stay in USA. The internet worked well once we worked out how to use it. We were situated directly across from the lobby/breakfast area and encountered lots of noise from the tv that was playing in the breakfast area for the hotel staff at the front desk. Not only that but the room doors are located extremely close therefore the people in the next room who constantly opened and closed there door over the entire night and well into the morning was quite disruptive. We had to make several complaints to front desk about the noise that was coming from the front desk and breakfast area and finally gave up and instead started banging our own door which seemed to work in ceasing the noise. Some consideration from the front desk would definitely have improved this, as they were the ones making a mojority of the noise.
There was a wheelchair lift to take you up the 5 stairs to the breakfast area and the rooms, however we were unable to use this to lug up the 6 suitcases we had, instead the hotel staff watched as we carried these VERY HEAVY suitcases up. They told us we were unable to use the wheelchair lift as we were not in wheel chairs!
The room was initially quite clean, however over the course of the stay it did not get cleaned, the bed spread was never changed and the rubbish was not collected.
The towels were so tiny that it was a joke and we constantly had to ask for more towels. The subway is very convenient to this place. Only 3 blocks away and very quick into the city, we travelled back late at night and early morning without any problems.
The place is barely passable but very convenient to subway.

• Stayed March 2006