“Pleasantly Surprised”
Review of The Flushing YMCA

The Flushing YMCA
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Ok, let's keep this in context; I had a "situation", so to speak, and needed a cheap place to stay in, or near, NYC for a week on short notice, for short money. The outlook was bleak, but I feel like I totally lucked out in choosing the Flushing Y over other, less savory lodging alternatives. First, realize that compared to a chain hotel, even a budget one, the Y ain't in the same league. That said, the Y's prices aren't in the same league either. Versus a comparably priced hostel or "low budget" hotel however, the Y comes out a major winner, in my opinion.

My simple, private room with AC, cable and mini-fridge was a pleasant surprise after preparing myself for nightmarish conditions. Shared baths aren't my style, but they were reasonably clean and available. Daily housekeeping was effective but don't expect anything out of "breakfast" other than typical snack-stand fare like à la carte muffins, single-serve cereals and canned beverages. General YMCA priveleges like pool and gym access may prove useful to some, but I found the facilities too busy to comfortably partake. As a bonus, I enjoyed a bit of a dining retreat with all of Flushing's Chinese and Korean offerings during my (almost) weeklong stay. That proved to be a real bonus. Y staff were all friendly and exuberant. I honestly would like to return for a few nights later in the summer, but they seem to be booked pretty solid!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank brett m

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed at this YMCA and have to say it was not a bad place to stay for the money. The room was clean and the bathroom was clean. Also the staff was very friendly and within walking distance to the subway. I plan on staying here again when I visit NYC.

Room Tip: Room on the south side are much quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank mitchell g
Reviewed 25 April 2014

For the price, it's very hard to find a cheapest room ! Rooms are basics but clean, equiped with TV and refrigerator and it's shared bathroom (one per level) for everyone. It's located in the Chinatown version of the Queens, approximately 30/35 minutes from Manhattan by metro (line 7). Staff member were very nice during my stay but the breakfast is limited to just a drink (coffee or tea) and one kind of cakes.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ThomasFNLO
Reviewed 28 March 2013

This was my third stay at a New York Y. When compared to the YMCAs near Central Park and the U.N., this YMCA is my new favorite -- mostly because of its small size, and community atmosphere. The front desk here is very friendly. There is a sign near the employee timeclock near the elevator that reminds the staff to say "hello" and smile to everyone, and the many, many hellos during my stay were genuine and welcoming.

I did not use the indoor pool nor basketball court, sauna, nor gym facilities -- but that stuff is there if you wish, and it's included in the price. The shared washroom near my room was fine. The 3 showers were fine - each curtained for privacy.

There are not hordes of students nor tourists staying here - it's more adult friendly. And I love the Korean/Asian shops and restaurants everywhere in this neighborhood. Do bring earplugs for sleeping to tune out the MTA busses motoring by on Northern Avenue. The '7' subway line is a few blocks away.

Spartan room. Comfortable single bed. No frills, no fuss. The front desk shared two keys with me: one to enter the guest room section, and the second for the room. The room included a small fridge, and local channels color TV. A microwave is available down the hall.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank LodgerFromChicago
Reviewed 2 June 2012

This hotel is really cheap for NY so we didn't expected a palace BUT :
We payed for a service and nothing was right : first, the last constumer keep the key (enjoy the security ...) and they promise us to make an other one for us but they never did (they always answer "it'll be done in a hour" and then "we can't do it"). So we had to wait somebody every time we wanted to go back in the room.
The room didn't fit with the picture (there is maybe just one room like this !)
It's a commun bathroom and the curtain hide nothing and it's dirty (a toilet was always obstructed).
They never clean the room and change the sheet (we stayed 2 nights)
The wireless is available just on the first floor and don't works very well (they had to reboot it often)
The staff don't speak english very well. The cleaner lady didn't check who we were before open our door so every body can go in any room...
They lost the security key so someone could go in any room and they was not able to act in case off emergency.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cam b
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My wife and I stayed there during our NYC visit in 2010. We booked quite well in advance because of US Open. What a surprise it was when we arrived and were told that instead of a double room they only had a single room for us - overbooking, they said. The receptionist was, however, quite helpful and offered a discount for the inconvenience. We used the room for sleeping only so it didn´t matter there was no place to move in there.
Another trouble was the Internet access which was free but neither of our laptops could access the WiFi. As a result we had to pay for the access using provided desktops (some other visitors had no troubles with it though).
Bathrooms and WCs are common on the floor, which is ,in some cases, not very convenient but one can handle it:-)
The good point was it was close to a pizza place, supermarket, subway, bus stop (10-15min walk). It felt quite secure, too, even at late hours.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank barynek
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I needed a cheap place to stay that wasn't a shared dorm and close to the US Open tennis site. This place was ideal. It was less than a 10-minute walk to the subway #7 line which was then just one stop to the National Tennis Centre (and a straight shot into Manhattan in about 1/2 hour)

The neighbourhood itself is very much like being in Korea with lots of Asian shops/restaurants around but that just meant there were usually people around so felt safe.

The YMCA itself was basic but it was comfortable. TV in the room with an a/c that worked fine. Get a room with a sink in it so you don't have to go down the hall to the bathroom.

It was mostly clean and the staff were mostly friendly. The internet didn't work in the rooms tho and try as I could I couldn't get any signal in the lounge as well so that was the only bummer.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Stephanie N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flushing
Flushing Central Hotel
Upper West Side
Morningside Inn
Morningside Inn
#444 of 470 in New York City

Been to The Flushing YMCA? Share your experiences!