“Another nice stay”

Marco LaGuardia Hotel by Lexington
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Flushing
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Courteous front desk. Reserved on hotel's website for King room. Appeared to be a new person checking me in, but wasn't flustered, calmly completed check-in eith help from person training him, who was patient. Got upgraded to a King suite. Very nice room. Clean and pretty spacious. There is a nice Italian restaurant attached to hotel, Magna. They will deliver food up to your room. Staff always friendly. Food was good. Never had a bad stay here yet. Will definitely back again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank W E

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I will start by saying the hotel was gorgeous and the breakfast in the morning was delicious. That's it for the good.
Now for the bad. I called ahead 3 separate times to confirm I'd get a room with a crib and a king sized bed. When we arrived at the hotel around 7pm we were told they "don't know what happened" but the crib is unavailable. That was a huge imposition because we had to sleep in bed with our infant son because of this mistake. I called for room service to bring us an extra towel and the woman said 'Aren't there only two people in your room, you need another towel?' So apparently I had to explain why I needed another towel in order to get one for my son.
That night for several hours all we heard was a loud vacuum and the rustling of the cleaning lady on our floor. It was unbelievable how thin the walls were!
The second night we were out and I checked my bank account to find out that the hotel had TWO $200.00 holds on my account! When we returned around 9pm I went to the front desk to inquire and get my funds released. The woman at the front desk easily dismissed my complaint because she stated the hotel only holds one charge of $200.00. I opened my bank acct app to show her and she still denied that the hotel could ever do that. Then after I insisted she finally checked her computer which only reflected one charge, so I asked for a manager. I waited for almost an hour and had to ask again for the manager. She immediately came out with no apology for the unnecessary wait only to tell me the hold was my banks fault and I'd have to call them. I called in the morning and obviously the bank blamed the hotel and I had to speak with another manager. The morning manager saw the two charges, and with no empathy or apology she claimed she reversed it and I'd have to now wait for the bank. To conclude, that was a complete lie and I had to wait 2 more days before I saw my money.

After the incident, I tried to watch a movie on tv and my television, which worked fine the night before, directed me to hotel customer service. I was told I'd have to authorize a hold of $50.00 in order to watch a $4.00 movie! I asked why this was happening when it worked fine before and the man was very short with me and just repeated I'd have to authorize the hold if I want to use the feature again.

To conclude, the hotel was beautiful and the breakfast was amazing, but God forbid you need anything from management or customer service. They all act as though its a huge imposition for them to even answer a phone call or assist you in any way. They were rude, short with me, and vindictive (referring to them cutting off my tv service).
Side note: It was also inconvenient to pay $19-25 every time we entered the underground parking garage. They won't advise you of this cost unless you ask.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Marco was a clean hotel with very good service. The best part of staying there was the upgrade to a suite we received.. I think that's what made our trip. Very quiet, very clean, polite staff.... the things that matter to us most.

Our only complaint was the bar/restaurant. It closed quite early and is separate from the hotel.... so you couldn't take a "glass" back to your room, it went into a plastic cup and was closed by midnight. That sucked, as there is not much around there to hang out at. Especially if you are not a Korean expert. Also, you cannot put the charges to your room.

It is the perfect place to crash while planning a trip in the city. We used Uber and it was about $100 round trip into the city, at about a 25 minute ride.

Room Tip: Hope for the suite upgrade!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelincouple611
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Eddie, the shuttle driver was very pleasant, giving us a tour on the way to the hotel.
Teri, front desk clerk, greeted us with a smile and provided us with an upgrade to a suite.
Breakfast was great and tasteful.
Rooms very clean, NO stains in the carpet, the ceiling and corners of the room were very clean.
The hotel seem to be in a safe environment.
However, after a long day in the city, looking forward to a bath, the jets in the tub didn't work to enjoy the jacuzzi.
I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to NYC.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kawena S
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had a great stay here, we got upgraded to the rooms with a kitchenette which was appreciated. Used the free shuttle to go to both the airport and to/from Citi Field for the Mets game. Having the shuttle was very convenient. The complimentary brekfast buffet every morning is more than enough to fill you up for the day. The hotel is only a few blocks from the subway stop and I would definitely stay here again. Rates are about par for the area, and the staff is very helpful and friendly. Their computer system was down when we checked in yet they were still pleasant and got us up to our room in a timely manner. Also has a business center with free use for the first 15 minutes and if you need to print your boarding pass its free as well.

Room Tip: It never hurts to politely ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nathan B
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed at the Marco LaGuardia Hotel at the end of July 2014. Pleasant front desk staff, clean hotel lobby and rooms. About 3 blocks to the #7 train subway station (Main Street) It's an easy walk. LOTS of places to shop and eat nearby! Very diverse area; mostly Asian.

ROOM: Our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teenagers) were comfortable in our 2 double-bed room. The beds were VERY comfy. Each bed had 3 puffy pillows. (I found them too "poofy" but my husband and kids liked them) The room had a phone, remote TV, air-conditioner unit, coffee-maker, mini-fridge, mini-microwave, ironing board and an electronic safe that could easily fit iPads, maybe a laptop.

The room also had a desk + office chair. Unfortunately, when someone was actually sitting in the chair, there was very little room to pass as the chair would be right up against the bed edge. This desk was the only place we could eat in the room, so it was a little inconvenient.

The bathroom was average with a typical shower/bathtub. The water got comfortably hot and the water pressure was pretty good. The shower-head was adjustable. Tissues, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, bar soap and extra toilet paper were provided. I think the toiletries were by Neutrogena; they smelled great! There were 4 bath towels provided, plus 3 hand towels and 3 face cloths and a bath mat towel.

The air-conditioner was a little noisy, but it wasn't too disruptive. My husband is a light-sleeper and the noise didn't seem to bother him.

There were 2 free bottles of Poland Spring water provided. The room also had 2 small wastebaskets, a dresser, a closet and a few outlets. Wi-Fi was free (they'll give you a password) The signal was good. There is a limit on how many devices you can use with the free Wi-Fi (but you will be able to bypass that limit; it isn't hard to figure out)

HOTEL: Again, friendly staff. There are 2 elevators; we never had to wait long for them. The hotel lobby has a waiting area with large couches and huge, beautiful horse statue. (I wish I had taken photos of the horse) The waiting area would be useful if you had visitors but didn't want to meet up in the small hotel room.

There is a restaurant, Magna, connected to the hotel. We only had 1 meal there, the breakfast. The breakfast is only free if you book directly through the hotel (via phone, in person or their website) I booked through a travel website which promoted the free breakfast, but we didn't get it. If you do get the free breakfast, it is only free for 2 adults and children below 6. Otherwise it is $10 per person. The breakfast buffet consists of bread/toast, cereal (Froot Loops, Frosted Flakes and Cheerios), fresh fruit, French toast, bacon, sausage links, potatoes and scrambled eggs. If you get cereal, you will have to request milk. I thought this was odd as you end up sitting with a bowl of dry cereal until a server passes by. You also have to request butter for your toast and creamer for your coffee. We didn't know this and ended up wasting a lot of time while our food/coffee got cold.

PARKING: There is a parking lot connected to the hotel. It is a very tiny, cramped lot. You will have to leave your key in the car for the valets and they will park it for you. If you want to use your car a lot, do NOT park here. You will have to wait for them to move all the other cars in order to get your car out. (If you just plan to leave the car in the lot during your stay, then this lot is a good option) It is not a good option if you need in/out access throughout the day. The price for the parking lot is $25/day. We needed to use our car a lot, so we parked on the street (Farrington Road) The meters cost 50¢/hour and there's a 2 hour max. This means you can only pay for 2 hours at a time. After 2 hours, you have to go to the meter and pay again. You pay at the Muni-Meter and put the receipt on your front dash for display. After 10pm, parking is free. There is alternate-side-of-the-street cleaning Monday through Saturday. This means there is NO parking allowed certain hours (from 8am-8:30am on 1 side of the street; no parking from 8:30am to 9am across the street) Monday to Friday. After 9am, you can resume parking (and paying at the meter) If you need me to explain the parking, please send me a message.

MISCELLANEOUS: Flushing is a great area. The hotel is located on Northern Boulevard which is a short walk to the busy Main Street. There is a lot to see and do on Main Street! Many great places to eat and shop. There are 2 EXCELLENT Asian bakeries on Main Street, on the same block! One is Tai Pain (37-25 Main St) and the other is Maxin (37-01 Main St) Maxin has individually wrapped cake slices and other pastries. They are SO good! Not too sweet like usual bakery fare. Tai Pan has great breads and pastries. Both bakeries have items that are clearly labeled in English (and Chinese) Both bakeries are cash only.

New World Mall is at Main Street and Roosevelt. It is like an indoor Chinatown. The food court had so many options (but mostly Asian food)

The subway station (Main St) is the end of the 7 line, so it's also the start of the 7 line. You can ride the #7 train all the way to Manhattan. It's mostly above-ground, so you'll get a nice view of Queens and the skyline of Manhattan. Subway fares are $2.50 per ride, but you can purchase ride-cards (called MetroCards) at the vending machines and get discounts. Note: I tried buying 3 MetroCards at the vending machines. The machine accepted my credit card for the 1st two cards, but would not take my card or any other of my credit cards for the 3rd one. I tried all the vending machines but none of them would take my cards. I finally had to buy the last card at the booth from an agent. You can only pay with cash at the booths, so keep that in mind.

Some of the Muni-Meters around town gave me trouble with my credit cards. Sometimes they'd take my card; sometimes they wouldn't. I even called my bank, which told me they weren't seeing any denied transactions, so it must have been the meters themselves. You might want to have quarters handy in case this happens to you.

New York City has many toll-booths. If you plan to drive around town, be prepared to pay at the tolls! We drove from Ohio, so we had to use the George Washington bridge to cross from New Jersey to New York. That toll is $13! We also used the Whitestone Bridge ($7.25) The Manhattan Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge and Williamsburg Bridge are all free and all connect Brooklyn to Manhattan. Just be prepared for traffic, too!

Radio: Pop music on 100.3 FM, 95.5 FM (and a few more I can't remember) 24/7 local news/traffic/weather on 1010 AM and 880 AM Both of those news stations have traffic reports every 10 minutes; very useful if you're commuting.

Also kudos to the housekeeping at the Marco LaGuardia: they did a great job with the room. We left a $5 tip each night we stayed as a courtesy.

There is also a shuttle to the airport. I did not use this so I can't comment on it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank KathyOHUS
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Last week I had the distinct pleasure of staying at Marco Hotel for business and my stay was absolutely perfect ! From the kind, courteous, and professional staff , to the meticulous, comfortable rooms and common areas and the breakfast buffet my experience was nothing less than exceptional.

I would like to thank ZIDNE and ANGELO ( Front Desk ) who showed exceptional Customer service skills and went above and beyond to help me and make my stay comfortable !

The breakfast was typical continental with bacon, scrambled eggs and Danish pastry, fresh fruit and cereals. The service at the breakfast in the morning, was amazing - young man walking around asking if I wanted water or a coffee .

Marco Hotel is perfectly located only blocks away from a train into the city with so many things to see and do in the immediate area , very close to Flushing Chinatown with a lot of good restaurant to eat!

I had a spacious room with the beautiful view to the city !

I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business