“Good for the RV/fishing/over 70's but not us.”
Review of Inn at Lake Joseph

and 1 more site!
Inn at Lake Joseph
Ranked #1 of 2 Forestburgh B&B and Inns
New York, NY
“Good for the RV/fishing/over 70's but not us.”
Reviewed 13 August 2008

I would rate this place differently depending on who you are so let me break it down.

Rating One: Me (2 of 5 Stars)

Good:
- Near Catskills
- Fireplaces in Room
- Free and working WiFi and TV
- Tolerant of dogs in room

Bad:

The Inn claims to be on a 250 acre private lake, what they forget to tell you is its actually a private community (think gated private community), which they are a member.

The Inn isn't AT the lake, its NEAR the lake. They need to rename it: "Inn on the other side of the road down a private path from Lake Jospeh" because to our surprise that's what it is.

You have to cross a paved two lane road to access the lake- which is very near the road. At that point you then see they forgot to tell you that the '250 acre private lake' is shared with about 15 other huge houses, all with lake front views/access. Oh and you have to carry with you a guest pass while at the lake (not kidding) and the dog can't swim or be off leash at all.

I think my partner said it best "this place feels like a country club on a golf course'.

The lake also has "Private Community Rules" which you must follow, including only allowing your dog off leash in a small area of the lake which is roped off with hoses and has cameras monitoring you (again, I'm not kidding).

This is not a wilderness, this is suburbia.

Lets move on to the Inn itself, the mattresses are extremely hard and the walls are so thin that at one point I thought someone was in our bathroom and I opened the door to check if it was the housekeepers or a bugler.

They serve 'a full service country breakfast and all day help yourself lunch and snack foods'.

The breakfast was indeed country- I had so much butter of my eggs, I think they were almost just straight butter which is fine, its just not really what I enjoy eating and the help yourself lunch/snacks is sort of a stretch. I found it to be more like help-yourself-coffee-and-old-doritos-and-pay-for-soda-from-our-vending-machine-or-eat-mystery-food-from-unlabeled-tupperware-deal. I was hungry but didn't brave the tupperware stuff and opted for some fruit from the bowl and yogurt with clear expiration dates on it.

As for the area around the Inn- there is none. Expect to drive 30 mins to eat out which is ok, just be prepared that this is not New Platz. There is no cute town center, just a big stretch of 42 North with some convenience stores and a meat market and a kosher super market frequented only by orthodox jews. Bring food if you can and grill so you don't have to brave the highway or get a pizza delivered if you can.

Rating Two: My Grandmother (4 out of 5 stars)

I think for someone over the age of 70, who loves to fish all day, the RV crowd or those who shop at 7-11's for lunch, this would be a great to perfect find assuming their hearing has gone enough that they can't hear the rooms around them and they have a sort of middle america love of wonder bread.

With that being said, I feel they misinterpret a lot on their website and in the description of the Inn. I can tell the owners try hard and they seem extremely nice. I just feel some of the descriptions and information are inaccurate (and extremely overpriced). Had we of paid half what we did for the room, I think I would of felt ok with the experience although for this price I expect higher quality food, beds and location. I'm actually amazed at this price/quality they were as full as they were when we came in.

I also feel for the price per night "a 10% service charge is added to your bill, which covers all gratuities" which is not included in the all-exclusive price just makes you leave feeling completely ripped off if you didn't feel it already.

• Liked — working wifi in rooms
  • Disliked — felt like a country club
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank asw222

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Albany
Reviewed 31 July 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Inn at Lake Joseph over a weekend in July. The Inn, rooms, grounds, facilities and lake are absolutely beautiful. Kayaks, paddle and row boats are free to use. The grounds are expansive with plenty of places to relax. Hammocks are everywhere for a relaxing snooze. Breakfast and lunches provided were abundant and excellent. For entertainment, we went to the Forestburgh playhouse one evening for their cabaret show and another evening to Bradstan's in White Lake for their show. Both were very enjoyable. The Monticello raceway and casino are nearby if you are into that type of entertainment. Don't miss the new Woodstock museum at Bethel Woods, about a 10 mile ride from the inn. Also, some nice restaurants in the town of Kauneonga Lake near Bethel Woods.

If you're looking for a place to relax with top notch facilities, the Inn at Lake Joseph is it. I recommend it highly.

• Liked — Everything about this place is top-shelf.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KSD
New York
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Stayed at the Manor. female, early twenties

Had a wonderful peaceful time. Enjoyed bike riding (the inn has a couple of bikes to use for free), played pool, paddled on the boat, made smores by the outdoor firepit, and layed on the hammock under the moonlight, next to the lake.
The staff was very friendly. Everything in the kitchen (food, fruits, drinks, desserts) was free. It was also great that they had a vending machine with small liquor bottles =) .

The only thing that i felt weird was that I had to be nice and quiet while in the Manor. It's like, living in a smaller version of the "Bartow Pell Mansion" (you can look that up) turned into an Inn. Other than that, it was cozy. If you're expecting star treatment, and amenities such as massages, room service, and spa treatments, this place is not for you.

Suggest you bring a flashlight (for when you decide to walk to the lake at night, which I think is even more beautiful compared to in the day). Bugspray (just in case). And a nice lunch/wine bottle for when you paddle onto the lake mid-day.

• Liked — food, drinks, bikes, boats, firepit could always be used at anytime of day or night.
  • Disliked — Only one computer in the Manor!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank nesny718
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 20 July 2008

My husband and I came up from NYC for the weekend and really loved the Inn. We were in the Manor (main) house and our room was quiet (we never heard any other guest or noise when in our room!) and comfortable. The grounds are lovely--pool is great, the lake is totally unspoiled. The other guests were nice and we felt we could engage in small talk when we wanted, but the place is big enough so that there was privacy and anonymity. The breakfasts and 24 hr available food was great. We have done three different hikes (walks) in the area and had a great dinner at Mr. Willy's. Only bad thing--terrible dinner at Buona Fortuna--skip that restaurant!!

• Liked — Beauty of the grounds
  • Disliked — liked it all
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank truth49
Bennington
Reviewed 19 July 2008

The posters on this site who were impressed with this place simply don't know what you can get for over three hundred a night in other places. You can do far better than a small lake with no real beach and an abundance of goose excrement. You can do far better than having to listen to the amorous vocalizations from the passionate couple in an adjacent room. Jay's and Salexi's reviews are accurate assessments. Don't squander your money here.

• Liked — The grounds are impressive
  • Disliked — lack of natural light, privacy in terms of noise penetration from adjacent room, bathroom needed updating, highly over priced
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelilover
Portland OR
Reviewed 5 July 2008

My Mother, 15 year old daughter and I stayed here for a weekend - as the older sister was performing at Forestburgh Playhouse.

My mom had the "Mallard" room - while my daughter and I shared the Manor Spare Room.

The food is excellent - and the location beautiful. And very convenient to the Playhouse. (which I would also recommend for theatre)

We got in very late - but the owners are very accommodating and helpful.

We are coming back in August 2008 to see the younger daughter
at Stagedoor Manor.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed 5 July 2008

I rely heavily on the TripAdvisor reviews so I went ahead and booked a two night stay at this B&B. I can only say that these rave reviews bear little or no relation to the reality of this inn.
The non-working elements were; the air-conditioning, the shared computer. The staff consists of two people who openly bickered with each other in the shared kitchen over many issues.
Hidden charges: add 10% on top of any room rate to get the real room rate. The rationale is that this will cover the tips that you would pay the staff (both of them). Also, no matter what your experience you will pay for two nights.
We checked out after one night and the total bill made the nightly rate just short of $700.00. For that room rate I want to have a really great place.
This is not a really great place.
First of all it is almost exclusively for dog owners and their extended dog family. Dogs are everywhere you look including the pool and the lakeside and their refuse in under foot at all times. I had the bad judgment to wear suede shoes in a light green color which are now soaked in dog stool and dog hair.
Our complaints about the room (on a 90 degree day, it was hot without the air conditioner) were met with, "We have cups of ice in the kitchen." You could not sleep in the steaming heat.
This was not acceptable, making me wonder who on earth is writing these glowing tributes over and over.

• Liked — Fresh air
  • Disliked — Dog stool
  • Stayed June 2008
3 Thank AllenNewJersey
AlanForestburghNY, Owner at Inn at Lake Joseph, responded to this review, 10 July 2008
First, we did, indeed, have a non-working guest computer that had been put out of commission by a severe storm a day or two earlier. If any of our guests needed to check email, print boarding passes, etc., we were happy to make our main computer available to them. These guests just needed to ask.

As for the air conditioning, we can only think that the guests were unable for some reason to turn on the a/c, and a simple phone call to the innkeepers would have taken care of that problem.

With regard to our staff sounding like they were bickering, knowing the relationship they have with each other we do find this surprising. Nevertheless, we apologize on behalf of our entire staff. The more important issue is, however, that these guests don’t appear to have come into any real contact with our staff and innkeepers, who are really very friendly and enjoy being helpful.

The ‘dog stool’ topic is another example of lack of communication. Early this summer a pair of Canada geese nested near our lake, and left some calling cards. We told our guests both verbally and in writing when they checked in that it was not ‘dog poop’, but ‘goose poop.’ Most guests, both dog owners and non-dog owners, were understanding of this minor inconvenience.

As to the guests’ assertion that they paid almost $700 for a one-night stay: our policy is for a minimum 2-night stay during various times of the year, and we publish it both on our website and in our confirmation letter. It isn’t an unusual policy, by any means, and many properties require the same commitment. It the room can’t be re-rented because of a cancelation, we do charge our guests for both nights; however the charge for the unoccupied night is applied toward a future stay on a space-available basis with no time limit and is in gift certificate form so it may be transferred to another as a gift.

The final comment about being offered cups of ice in response to complaints about the room is a little bizarre.

We would like to leave you with this thought. We have earned the reputation of being responsive to our guests’ needs and requests—that’s why our hospitality is usually highly rated and we have so many good reviews on Trip Advisor as well as other websites.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Forestburgh
Ramada Rock Hill at Sullivan Center
Catskill Mountains Resort
Catskill Mountains Resort
#2 of 5 in Barryville
Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center

Been to Inn at Lake Joseph? Share your experiences!