Brookside Manor Bed and Breakfast
US$62
US$67
US$60
Priceline
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsother guestshomemade muffinsb bbed and breakfastanother guestfruit cupchipped paintlarge windowsworked greatbreakfast was deliciousegg dishesthree weekswonderful hostsbeds were very comfortablegreat place to stayold housenight's sleep
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My 3 cousins and I stayed here recently on a visit to Lily Dale. We used 2 rooms and counting our visit of last year, we now have experienced 3 of their 4 rooms. All were spotlessly clean, very comfortable, and charming.

Dale and Andrea were so sweet to us that we felt pampered and cared about. Andrea's breakfasts are better than anything I have had at home or in a restaurant. She includes all the special touches of fresh ingredients, interesting presentation, and unusual recipes. Dale was patient with my changing reservations before our visit. He graciously gave us recommendations and detailed directions to local restaurants when we called him from the car. I am looking forward to going back next year or hopefully, sooner.

I, too, have to cautiously disagree with the poor review further down. Yes, you are presented your bill after breakfast and I would think most find this convenient. You do not have to vacate the room and are free to come and go afterwards without having to worry about settling the payment. Our bills could have been confusing because there were 4 of us, staying in 2 rooms, for different lengths of stay. Andrea did all the math and separated the charges into four bills without us even asking. Also, as someone mentioned, this is a B&B staffed by this nice couple. They cannot be expected to be available, in person, 24 hours a day to check you in, check you out, serve you breakfast and settle the bill on your time frame. On the other hand, they do everything possible to make themselves available to you. They encouraged us to make sure we had their phone number as we went about our day, just in case we needed anything. They allowed us to check in early, asked us our preferred breakfast time, and checked with us ahead of time to make sure the breakfast menu was ok with us. I heard Andrea mention something special she had made because of a fellow guest's food allergy.

I say "cautiously disagree" above because I have had the experience of posting a poor review of another guest house in the Dunkirk area and had others strongly disagree with me. In my case, I know I told the truth about my stay but also believe the other reviewers. I truly think the owner of that other establishment was having a bad day. Also, we had visited at the very end of the season and perhaps the owner had lost interest and was pretty much "done" for that year. Anyhow, that's why I love TA, different perspectives to sort out. Perhaps the poor review below was the result of a difference in expectations, a bad day, too many demands, or simply a personality clash. It happens sometimes.

Room Tip: They are all great.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I had to write to take exception to the post by the New Brunswick, OH couple who wrote that they had a bad stay. Well, my wife and stay here nearly every summer as she has family in the area. We have had nothing but great experiences staying with Andrea and Dale. They are two of the nicest people I know. I guarantee if you have an issue with something, and you are being reasonable, that they will fix it. But remember, ia B&B is not a hotel. The staff consists of Andrea and Dale--that's it. I think they do a great job. You really have an issue with a half-used bottles of shampoo? Here's some advice--DON'T USE THEM! Again, it's a B&B. They don't have the budget to put out little bottles of shampoo and soap. One of the things I love about Brookside is breakfast. Andrea cooks up great, interesting meals, and we have had some of the most interesting conversations with other people staying there. This year we will not be staying, and I will miss it.

Room Tip: There are 4 rooms and they are all nice with private bath, A/C, and wifi. What more could you want? But you do have to be able to walk up a steep staircase.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen W
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We recently had a wedding in Dunkirk and had never been to this area. After researching some local B&Bs, we chose Brookside. The owners are two of the friendliest most accommodating people we have ever met! We were not going to arrive in town until after midnight, and they were willing to let us have a late check-in. The wedding was not until late afternoon the following day, and without us even asking, they offered to let us stay past check-out time so we could get ready and head directly to the wedding without having to find somewhere to go in-between. Best of all, they were more than willing to have us even with our 7 month old daughter. We were concerned with the baby interrupting other guests or causing issues, but they assured us that all 3 of us were more than welcome. Besides these things, all the normal things you look for in a B&B were stellar. The home/property was gorgeous, the rooms and bathrooms were beautiful, spacious, and clean, the food at breakfast was fresh and incredibly delicious, the price was a great value...everything was outstanding. There is literally not one thing that we would complain about. We would recommend Brookside to anyone and would definitely stay again if we ever return to the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I booked the garden party room with a queen and full size bed in April for a June stay. Upon arrival we were advised by Andrea that our room had been changed to the butternut room and they put a twin bed in the room to go along with the queen bed. No explanation as to the room change other than we would be discounted $5.00. When I inquired $5.00, that's all, and
why didn't I receive a phone call that there was a change. She advised we didn't have to stay. I found this insulting especially when I review my welcoming letter received in April that clearly states that cancellations/changes must be made by 3:00 pm 7 days preceeding arrival, otherwise my credit card would be charged. An explanation as to the room change would have been welcoming and most likely understandable but given the choice I would certainly pay $5.00 more to sleep in a full bed other than what a child would sleep in. I found it insulting. Our newly appointed room was clean but I found the basket of toiletries quite odd. There were 6 or so bottles of various sizes open, and some 3/4 used, bottles of shampoo hair products. I felt this was unsanitary as well as tacky. If you can't put out an unopened shampoo bottle for your paying guests than dont put out anything, my opinion. I didn't care for the main entry at breakfast, some kind of egg vegetable flat casserole. When they obviously had to notice I didn't eat but a couple bites, it would have been nice if I was offered more toast or bacon or even a simple egg over easy or scrambled. I admit I didn't ask but thought after our welcoming thought best not to say anything. As soon as I was standing up after breakfast, I was brought my bill for the nights stay. This was 8:40ish in the morning and checkout wasn't required til 1 pm. I also felt this was quite odd and felt unwelcome.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank doogtrout
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Stayed for two nights, wonderful, Andrea and Dale would do anything for you, very helpful, very knowledgeable, room(s) immaculate, delightful, comfortable, spacious, everything is provided from reading materials to internet access to soft and fluffy towels, and on and on. Breakfast superb. Absolutely nothing negative to say. This would definitely be our first choice for accommodation if in the area again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business