“Cradle of Aviation Museum” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Garden City
Rockville Centre, NY
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Cradle of Aviation Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Great Museum! The volunteer Guidance people were amazing!! They knowledge is based on their long time careers in the field and their love for Aviation!

The exhibits were amazing! Brought back good memories of the "old" Long Island.

I highly recommend this museum!

Visited March 2014

Jupiter, Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

This wonderful museum is rather hidden away just off the campuses of Nassau Community College and Hofstra University. It is also close to the Nassau Coliseum and the Roosevelt Field mall. We live on Long Island and have been coming here for years. The museum is very well laid out and the exhibits are awesome; the queen of the exhibits being an actual lunar module that was built for Apollo 19, but never made it to the moon. Many people are not aware of the wonderful aeronautical contributions made right here on Long Island, but this museum puts them all out front and center. Most ages can find something of interest here. We've seen many school groups come through here and Frank, the docent we spoke to our latest visit, said that Tuesdays and Thursdays can be very crowded, but my 80-something parents really enjoyed it, too. If you're up for a bit of a thrill, the Blue Angels simulator is very impressive and, best of all, it's free. We purchased a Groupon for half priced tickets for the IMAX theatre planetarium show and enjoyed it very much. We went on Saturday morning and had the museum and the docents pretty much to ourselves. The museum opens at 9:30, but the cafeteria, which is very interesting with its Mars theme) doesn't open until after 10 so don't go early for coffee and a bagel like we did. Depending on whether or not you like to read all the placards, I would plan on staying at least 2-4 hours to get the most out of this air and space gem.

Visited May 2014
Garden City, New York
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fun Family Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Wonderful displays packed with history for the whole family. My nieces and nephews especially enjoyed the space shuttle display.

Visited November 2013
Bethpage, New York
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Good for older kids”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Went on a day off from school with my toddlers and a friend with older elementary aged kid. My 2 1/2 year old son was a little intrigued but my 1 year old daughter didn't have much to do but walk around. The elementary ages boy liked it but didn't love it. A few of the buttons for lights and sounds didn't work. Would maybe try when kids are much older.

Westbury, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Go but only with a coupon. ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

I love aviation. The displays seem dated and most of the interactive items need repair. The staff is usually very nice but limited. On one recent trip the projectionist was out and no one could work the theater system. We received a voucher. After taking the kids back for a show the actual theater is very steep, claustrophobic, and gave me vertigo. (I liked doing airplane acrobatics and was surprised by my own reaction. )

So, unless you are going with some kind of coupon save your money and go into manhattan for a real museum. You would have more fun visiting a real airport than this if you know someone who flies.

1 Thank Volatius