“Outstanding Service”
Review of Garden City Hotel

Garden City Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Garden City
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The hotel is lovely. Previous reviews indicated renovations were underway, but all of that seems to be complete now. Service and amenities world class. From Abe, the concierge, to Kevin at the front desk, I am very pleased with the accommodations and professionalism displayed. What a jewel!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
JamessinaH, Guest Relations Manager at Garden City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for your recent stay and review, and I will be sure to extend your accolades for Abe and Kevin to them! We look forward to seeing you on a future stay, I am glad you were pleased with all we have to offer.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The staff steals from you and the management does not care! I spent 2 weeks post-vacation on the phone arguing with management about where my items were. Management said they "didn't want to accuse anyone" and that my problem was with housekeeping and they did not want to "get in the middle of it." WHAT?? That's just crazy! They have a thief on staff and I am out hundreds of dollars worth of my stuff, but management's concern is that my problem might make their job hard. I was just stunned!

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
12  Thank Jen S
JamessinaH, Guest Relations Manager at Garden City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Hello Jen~ I did not see a report filled out with our security team regarding lost items. What was it that you had lost and did not notice until your return home? Please contact our Rooms Director ASAP to discuss this review, as our security team and front desk would like to know what exactly was lost and to whom you spoke with at our hotel regarding these items. Please call 516.747.3000.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

let me start by saying i got married at the garden city hotel ten years ago so i may be biased but i have always found the service to be top notch. we recently stayed for a few nights on a quick trip to new york and the hotel is still going through renovations in some areas but it really was not a nuisance. the staff was friendly and accommodating, the restaurant was great , you just can't get better on long island. oh and by the way, i plan on calling and asking what kind of mattresses they have because my husband and i have never had a more comfortable sleep!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review, happy 10th wedding anniversary! Thank you for your kind accolades of our staff and restaurant, I will be sure to extend to all. The mattress is a custom blended memory foam and pillow top under our Luxe Dreams by The Garden City Hotel in partnership with Stearns and Foster. You are able to purchase them directly from the hotel through our Rooms Division, please call 516.747.3000 for more information! We look forward to seeing you on a future stay!

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

So, The Garden City hotel recently went through a much needed renovation but seems to have missed out on the fundamental needs of a traveller! Yeah, the bathrooms are nicer, the bedrooms have had a lick of paint but I'm still kept awake all night by the archaic air con system (which incidentally is the same as the old one but just been covered up with a fancy wooden box???). No gym. Well there is a room which is a terrible alternative until the new fitness facility is open and if it's anything like the old one then don't hold your breath for anything decent. And then there's the hotel wifi. Unless you want to spend your whole trip in the bathroom then you'll not get much luck with regards to wireless access in the bedroom area. Dreadful connection.

This hotel has got it all so wrong. Soulless and dated! I don't have a choice but to stay here. I'm a flight attendant but if you are a paying traveller I urge you to look elsewhere. If I never had to come here again it would be too soon.

Whoever owns this hotel needs dragging in to the 21st century!!

Stayed: July 2014
9  Thank Tonysouth

Thank you for your recent stay and review. As you travel here often due to your occupation, I am sure you have seen the major enhancements we have made since January of this year, of which we are in the final phase, including the fitness center, indoor pool and world class spa. As you are familiar with the former fitness center from your post, after new ownership came on board, plans were immediately in the works to create a beautiful new area in the lower level to accommodate a renovated fitness center and gorgeous pool. I am sure you will be pleased. I am sorry to hear you had an issue with the wifi connection, please press the ONE button on your guest room phone should you have any issues on a future stay.

We look forward to your next visit, and I hope that you experience all our hotel has to offer outside of the beautiful new guest rooms, such as the Patio Bar, Polo Lounge, complimentary bicycles or Adirondack chairs on our manicured property for your morning coffee or tea.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Great hotel, very friendly staff. Especially the bell boys at the entrance. Always available for info and tips.
Room was more than ok, spacious bathroom, complimentary coffee maker, complimentary WiFi, etc. ..
Hotel is located in Garden City, Long Island. The LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) station is just across the street and will bring you to Manhattan (Penn Station) in about 45 to 60 minutes. It is not a direct connection, though and you will have to transfer at Jamaica station.
Jamaica station is also the final stop for the JFK air train. Count 45 minutes to get from the hotel to the nearest terminal at JFK.
You may think this is a lot, but I can guarantee you will be happy to be in a luxurious hotel, away from the crowd in a very lovely neighbourhood. As an extra tip, I recommend you take the hotel bikes and bike away in the streets around the hotel. Very lovely Long Island-style houses, very clean, etc. ..

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Guillermo21Belgium

Thank you for your recent stay and review! I am glad to read that you were able to experience all our hotel has to offer, from the complimentary bicycles to the local neighborhood to our brand new guest rooms which were renovated this year. I will be sure to extend your accolades to our staff. We look forward to seeing you on a future stay.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We are from L.I. , very experienced travelers, and now living in Austin, Texas. Hands down, we feel that the GC hotel is the best place to stay on Long Island ... for many reasons. 1) Location: If you want to visit NYC but not always be in NYC or deal with the noise and parking expenses of NYC .... then the LIRR station that is so near (but not near enough to be a problem with noise) the hotel is just wonderful; also ... the GC Hotel is walking distance to some very good restaurants and excellent shopping . 2) Ambiance: There is a certain aura about the GC hotel. It is not "old" .. but has classic styling and a solid, stately feel about it. It is hard to put into words .. but the feeling starts as soon as you look at the beautiful landscaping, and entrance and professional bell hops/valet staff who are ALWAYS there to greet you; then it continues upon entering the lobby and being surrounded with all of the extra frills of a high quality hotel. Everything from the floor to the walls to the lights to the carpet to the furniture to the hardware on the doors .... etc etc etc ... you know what I am saying, don't you ? 3)Parking: free and plentiful 4) Quality of bedding (we left our Vdara Pillows in the car and just used the GC pillows because they were just as good) .

Is the GC hotel inexpensive ? No . Is it worth the extra money ? We think so. Whether you are going for business, romance, or a family trip ... the GC hotel fits all of those reasons. You can easily appreciate the reason why the GC hotel costs more than a standard chain hotel.

Don't I have anything negative to say ? Well, yes and no. The construction is continuing in the lower level at this time and the pool and gym are not open there. There is a temporary gym set up in a room on the PH level. Not having a pool available could really put some people off; especially if you were looking forwards to that when you booked. Hopefully the hotel will make it up to you in some other manner It would have been a really neat touch if arrangements had been made for the use of a pool somewhere else, with shuttle service ... but that is really much easier said than done, and it still would not satisfy many people. The construction in the lower level will be completed in another couple of months ... and we can't wait to see how it all comes out. In fact we will be returned there in September and if it is completed then, we will write a new review.

BTW: I should mention that many airlines use this hotel for layovers for their staff, so even though it is not next to an airport I indicated that it is good for airport access because it is practically in between the JFK and LaGuardia airports.

I indicated that the hotel is good for museums because there is the cradle of aviation museum nearby and several other museums in Nassau County. If you want to hop a train into Manhattan, then the world is your oyster when it comes to museums.

Room Tip: We always like rooms on high floors, away from vending, away from elevators, and away from ice machi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
JamessinaH, Guest Relations Manager at Garden City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for your recent stay and glowing review! I am thrilled to read your review of our location, ambiance and overall hospitality. The guest experience is our number one concern, and I am happy to hear your expectations have been exceeded. We are in the final phase of our construction- and this will include a 7,000 sq ft world class spa, indoor salt water swimming pool and fitness center.

We look forward to seeing you on a future stay, and thank you again.

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel has beautiful charm it has a classic style unmatched. But it's beautiful decor is not what makes it special. It is the wonderful employees like Gabrielle at the front desk that make the experience magical. Gabrielle was so extremely helpful when we visited to celebrate my wife's first mothers day. We booked the reservation online and it didn't match what we wanted. Well Gabrielle went above and beyond to accommodate our needs. She made that day special and will remain in our hearts forever. Thank you so much. #GCHmemories

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent stay and review, and for the accolades of our staff! I will be sure to relay this review to them. We pride ourselves on offering first class service and gracious hospitality to all guests, and I am glad to read that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you on a future stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Garden City
Long Island Marriott
Long Island Marriott
#1 of 1 in Uniondale
SpringHill Suites Carle Place Garden City

Been to Garden City Hotel? Share your experiences!