“Cozy with a beautiful view” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Minnewaska Lodge

Minnewaska Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gardiner
“Cozy with a beautiful view”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

First I must say that the rooms at the Minnewaska Lodge are not sound proof. We could hear the couple in the room above us "getting busy" and it was just really creepy...I mean I get that we're in a lodge and there are other people staying there but I don't need to feel like I'm in their room! Also, the water took FOREVER to heat up, like seriously 15 minutes, I was beginning to think that there was never going to be hot water and almost got a cold shower. That being said, the lodge is very nice with really comfortable beds and we had a great view of the cliffs from our private deck. The lobby was cute with a fireplace with pillows and couches to cuddle up on. There were also two fire pits out back with adirondack chairs. The girl at the front desk could have been a little more welcoming but we figured she was just bored because there were only a couple of other rooms booked the night we were there (which made us wonder why we were rooming right underneath another couple when there were plenty of other available rooms) but that's neither here nor there. If you're looking for a beautiful place to stay in the wilderness and don't mind possibly hearing everything your neighbors are saying, this is your place!

Room Tip: Definitely get a cliff view room, otherwise there's not much to see.
Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KiLeeLuv

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Frenchtown, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

First time staying at Minnewaska Lodge. I liked the proximity to Minnewaska State Park; Village Market & Bakery (yummy sandwiches for the trail); Mountain Brahaus restaurant (Outstanding!!!); and New Paltz. Overall a relaxing stay and would probably stay again (Nearby Mohonk Mountain House is too crowded for me and can be quite pricey).

The good:
All staff encountered were very pleasant and helpful. Ask them anything about Things to Do or Restaurants and they will give you excellent advice. Enjoyed the great room/deck/gas fireplace pits overlooking the mountain cliffs. Plenty of parking. Continental breakfast was okay - I was always able to find something I liked. Fresh baked Chocolate chip cookies in the lobby :-0

The bad:
Noise travels rather easily through the room walls. For the room price point I would expect better. While the bathrooms were generally clean, there were some mold issues in the tub and on the shower curtain. Again - At this price point I would expect better.

Reserve early for the fall - Peak time of the year for this lodge.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a private covered balcony - I suggest one on the 2nd floor. Not essential though, s...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank A_TA_Commenter
NAPERVILLE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

What a great location at the base of a cliff in the Shawangunk mountains, just 1 1/2 hours north of NYC! Everything was wonderful from the views to the delicious breakfast of homemade granola, breads and quiche to the lovely porch with rocking chairs to the firepits to sit and look at the stars in the evening. Everyone was most helpful in giving restaurant advice to hiking trails, just minutes from the lodge. We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay on our family get away from the city! I would HIGHLY recommend a stay at this lovely lodge.

Room Tip: The cliff view rooms are worth the extra money and even though it was nice to have our own balcony...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Delightful modern lodge with view of the Shawangunks from the dining/room lodge and the lawn. Firepits in the evening and cookies all day. Hiking int he Minnewaska State Preserve just a few minutes away.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Rockville Centre, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at Minnewaska Lodge. The first time, in fall weather, there were six milipedes roaming around on the floor and the shade on the door fell off. We didn't want to step on the bugs, so that was tricky, and they seemed surprised about the shade at the desk, although, for privacy, we had to pull it down, otherwise, we were on view on the first floor. At the time there was a young German man, Gunther, who was extremely helpful to us, advising us on trails and other worhwhile sites to visit. This current stay, I was with another one of my sons for one night. I think the room is expensive, truthfully. The breakfast is hearty and plenty of food, hot oatmeal, yogurt, toast, fruit, coffee cakes, all very nice and a beautiful setting to have a comfortable and leisurely breakfast. I didn't notice any milipedes this time, but there was plenty of noise outside all night from cicada's and other insects. It was nearly deafening. My son wanted the window open so he could listen, and I obliged him, but it kept me awake. The beds were comfortable and everything in the room worked. I didn't notice noise from other guests. The backyard is lovely and the management has truly enhanced it with two cozy fire pits and attractive red Adirondak chairs in a group around each pit. Of course, the rim view is spectacular and the back yard of the lodge is expansive and very attractive. The porch and rear view of the lodge from the yard is as pretty as it can be, with festive lighting and genuine warmth.
We felt that the staff made every effort to make us comfortable, but I wasn't sure if the young lady at the desk was as knowledgeable about the trails as the former gentleman was. She seemed somewhat uncertain when advising us. Across the street is the Brauhaus which serves genuine and delicious German food. It also is festive and seems to be a real favorite among the locals and visitors like us.

Room Tip: Probably book in advance rather than last minute, rooms probably fill up quickly. Late summer is noi...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

What a lovely place. Very comfortable bed, quiet (apart from cicadas!) wonderful location, fantastic continental breakfast and complimentary homemade chocolate cookies. The only very minor problems we had: a bed for our son had not been set up in the room despite booking a room for 3 - not ideal arriving late with a sleeping child- sorted out very quickly. Only other strange thing was when tidying the room they took my pyjamas from under the pillow and threw them in the corner of the room! Very small things that did not detract from the overall positive experience. Lots of outdoors pursuits in the area - we spent the day in the beautiful Mohonk Reserve.

• Stayed August 2013
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

My husband and I and two of our adult children recently returned from a three night stay at Minnewaska. We spent most days hiking at Minnewaska State Preserve, which is five miles from the lodge. If you're going to Gardiner to hike, this location can't be beat. Rooms were smallish, but we didn't spend that much time in them. Breakfast was plenty filling. Nice to be able to sit out on the covered porch or at the fire pits when we ate and enjoy the stunning view of the cliffs. I'm not a fan of the surcharges because the room charge isn't inexpensive, but I would go again because of the lovely setting and proximity to the Preserve. Brauhaus across the street serves delicious German food.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank VirginiaWanderlust
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardiner
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
#1 of 10 in Kingston
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz

Been to Minnewaska Lodge? Share your experiences!