“Totally Relaxed”
Review of Minnewaska Lodge

Minnewaska Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gardiner
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Well just got back yesterday from one of the most relaxed and recharged vacations ever.
This a wonderful piece of paradise. You feel like your in the middle of no where but no fear, the town of New Platz is just a 10 min. drive down the road.
This Lodge is very clean and comfortable, and the Staff are very friendly and knowledgeable. The complementary Breakfast is very good, with something for everyone.We found this little gem of a spot by looking for a place close by to the town of Bethel, where the Woodstock Festival took place in 1969.
An overall great adventure... Something that I can cross off my Bucket List, But the best thing was that my Wife loved it too

Room Tip: If you can... Get a room with cliff view, and private balcony. So Cozy
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OntarioTravlinMan
There are newer reviews for Minnewaska Lodge

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We were greeted warmly and professionally upon arrival. We were given an upgrade to a nicer room, only because front desk clerk was feeling magnanimous! Very, very nice to do so. All of the staff was friendly and helpful regarding questions about local hikes, breakfast, use of their computer (I had to do some unexpected work). We loved the breakfast spread - simple but opulent and fresh with plenty of hot black coffee. Our balcony looked at the mountain and the back of the lodge and it was spectacular early June view. The weather was perfect and we didn't want to leave .. The room was very clean, great shower and comfortable bed. Definitely be back!

Room Tip: Request a mountain view in back (NOT a forest view).
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CLL1008
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My 4 days stay was great. Great staff, very helpful and always happy to do their job. This lodge is just located in a very gorgeous spot. Amazing environment overlooking very beautiful mountains. Very relaxing and rejuvenating to just sit and enjoy or even hike the mountains. Will most definitely recommend.

2  Thank Jeremiah K
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Had a great 4-night stay in this beautiful place. The staff did a great job serving and making me feel at home. I felt a part of nature as the looming mountains beckoned me from the common area of the lodge.

1  Thank aaronwsmith
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I would absolutely recommend this place. The service was incredible, the food was awesome and the lodge itself was so homey and warm. The staff was so kind and helpful. The location was beautiful and in the wilderness but still close to town. Loved my stay there.

1  Thank Sara M
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Upon coming back to our room late in the evening, after a long day, I asked the desk clerk for a bottle of water because when our room was serviced that morning they were not replaced. He told me that the bottles of water are only provided for the day of arrival and are not replaced on subsequent days. When I mentioned that the tap water was distasteful, he told me that I could get water out of the vending machine or from the fountain in the exercise room. I thought it was a bit odd, but went on to my room a bit perplexed at such a stance.

More importantly, upon check out, I noticed a service fee of 10% of the room charges added to the bill. I questioned this and was told by the desk clerk that it is a standard service fee which is used to pay the housekeeping staff as part of their hourly wages and is used towards other hotel services. I find this to be absolutely bogus! Lodging is a service industry and paying a room rate is exactly for the purpose of paying for that service. No other hotel I have stayed at in the New Paltz area or elsewhere adds on such a fee. To me, it appears to be simply a matter of padding the bill in a way to make the total cost not appear directly on advertised or promoted prices.

When I further questioned this practice, I was told that there is full disclosure of this service charge. I have searched for this disclosure on the property's web site. Under the section of terms and conditions (a footnoted section of the website and not a major tabbed page), which is where one would logically think the disclosure should be, there is no mention of a service fee whatsoever - just a mention that the rate does not include fees....hmmm, I guess in retrospect, that should raise suspicions. When making a reservation, the room rate is provided and then there is a line item for taxes and fees....hmmm this certainly seems to hide the fee as it is not separated out from the taxes - just kind of slipped in there without full disclosure, and of course people are going to slide right by it, thinking that it is a mandated government charges of some type. Then, when making payment for the reservation, there it is, in bright red, the disclosure of the fee! But wait! Is it really full and fair disclosure? It is hidden within the middle of a long paragraph entitled Cancellation Policy. The addition of a sentence about a service fee does not seem to comprise part of a cancellation policy and to anyone who would not be interested in cancelling their reservation, and so would not read the policy, the statement of the fee within does not seem to aptly fulfill full disclosure. This certainly feels like the service fee is being hidden.

So, a hidden 10% service fee and I can't even get a lousy bottle of water upon request? Certainly I am dissatisfied. Expressing my concerns, I have written to the property manager three times, attempting to seek some type of reconciliation, but have not received back any sort of reply, even just in simple acknowledgement of my concern.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
21  Thank Bob T
Reviewed 3 March 2014

It is a nice lodge, but the acoustics are, frankly, deplorable. You can hear the conversations of people in the adjacent rooms quite clearly. If I would have brought earplugs I would have enjoyed my stay more. The breakfast is decent though the coffee is weak, but you can't beat the wonderful location and the decor is nice, too. Perhaps the best perk is that it's adjacent to the best restaurant in the area, The Mountain Brauhaus.

Room Tip: Try for a room with only one neighbor...noise is a problem in this building.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank NEtravelist
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardiner
Hampton Inn New Paltz
#1 of 1 in Ellenville
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz

Been to Minnewaska Lodge? Share your experiences!