“Wonderful honeymoon”
Review of Minnewaska Lodge

Minnewaska Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gardiner
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We honeymooned here in July 2013 and ended up extending our trip 1 night. We loved the fresh breakfasts each morning and reading on the Adirondacks chairs outside, and enjoying relaxing by the fire pits by night. We bought marshmallows and found sticks for roasting, and when we returned to visit the property this year, the Lodge had begun putting out marshmallows and sticks for guests! They also have delicious, freshly baked cookies out 24/7, which is dangerous! The room was comfortable and we were very near to great hiking and swimming (Minnewaska State Park, swimming holes on hiking trails), as well as cute New Paltz and the amazing Mountain Brauhaus restaurant. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The hotel is definitely clean and the staff was nice. I asked for a quiet room, but was put in a room above and next to where breakfast was served each morning, so not quiet at all. My room also had no balcony, so I could not enjoy the view while sipping some wine, without having to mingle with the other guests, so a thumbs down on that. There was no elevator, so I had to drag my suitcase upstairs...no hotel employee offered to do it. Also, during my two day stay, no one came to clean my room, even though I did not have a sign on the door not to do so and was out of the room from 10 am until 5 pm. I even left a tip for the housekeeper...but you don't clean, you don't get a tip...

The room while clean, had no personality to it and was dark with only one window out to the beautiful view, which I thought was disappointing given the price I was paying to be there and how beautiful the view is. That is the definite plus of this hotel. I guess you are paying because the other hotels in the area have terrible reviews and cost as much or more...or you are staying in a roach motel in New Paltz...

My first morning there, some guy, a guest I guess, was up at the front desk making a scene calling his mobile provider complaining about something. It disturbed the lobby area for about 2.5 hours during breakfast and checkout time. I could hear him going on and on up in my room. The staff should have put the kibosh on that after 10 minutes. The breakfast, by the way, is your standard lobby breakfast. Decent fruit, otherwise I avoid those.

A nice benefit to the hotel is its proximity to the Mountain Brauhaus. You can walk across the street to it. The food is great and service is good. Otherwise you are driving into New Paltz for every meal for which there are some pretty good options.

Room Tip: ask for a room upstairs away from the center of the hotel...those have balconies and you won't b...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We have stayed here a few times given the proximity to the Gunks and the Mountain Brauhaus, but the last stay was our final.
My husband fell ill and I called to try and change our reservation to another date. Where other hotels in the area would accommodate this unforeseen circumstance (such as Mohonk Mountain House or Emerson), Minnewaska Lodge refused to budge and insisted that we could not move the reservation or get any amount of refund. I explained that I found it odd that they would want to subject their staff and other guests to the flu, and that they would risk losing long term customers, but they maintained their stance.
My poor husband gathered his tissues and we kept the reservation. While of course not necessary, their was no measure taken by Minnewaska Lodge to show their appreciation of our keeping the reservation. When we came to check-in, it was clear that the staff had been informed of our annoyance and reluctant acceptance of their staunch policy. While checking in, after saying our names, the manager abruptly came over, made no eye contact with us, stood with his arms crossed and asked the front desk "Is everything ok here?". It was awkward and very passive aggressive.
Add to this the noisy environment (very thin walls) and not much bang for the buck, we will not be stepping foot in this place again. To them, we were just another dollar.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Phil S
Reviewed 14 July 2014

A great place to stay when visiting Mohonk/New Paltz area. Just 5 min from downtown New Paltz and closer to Monhonk and Minnewaska state park. The hotel is right at the foot of the Gunks with a great view and plenty of space to enjoy it with a nice outside deck and firepits. Much more affordable option that Mohonk Mountain House and accessible to all the same things. Came up from the city and really felt like we got away.

Room Tip: The cliff views are dramatic but there is a great back deck with the same view to enjoy so you won...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Well just got back yesterday from one of the most relaxed and recharged vacations ever.
This a wonderful piece of paradise. You feel like your in the middle of no where but no fear, the town of New Platz is just a 10 min. drive down the road.
This Lodge is very clean and comfortable, and the Staff are very friendly and knowledgeable. The complementary Breakfast is very good, with something for everyone.We found this little gem of a spot by looking for a place close by to the town of Bethel, where the Woodstock Festival took place in 1969.
An overall great adventure... Something that I can cross off my Bucket List, But the best thing was that my Wife loved it too

Room Tip: If you can... Get a room with cliff view, and private balcony. So Cozy
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OntarioTravlinMan
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We were greeted warmly and professionally upon arrival. We were given an upgrade to a nicer room, only because front desk clerk was feeling magnanimous! Very, very nice to do so. All of the staff was friendly and helpful regarding questions about local hikes, breakfast, use of their computer (I had to do some unexpected work). We loved the breakfast spread - simple but opulent and fresh with plenty of hot black coffee. Our balcony looked at the mountain and the back of the lodge and it was spectacular early June view. The weather was perfect and we didn't want to leave .. The room was very clean, great shower and comfortable bed. Definitely be back!

Room Tip: Request a mountain view in back (NOT a forest view).
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CLL1008
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My 4 days stay was great. Great staff, very helpful and always happy to do their job. This lodge is just located in a very gorgeous spot. Amazing environment overlooking very beautiful mountains. Very relaxing and rejuvenating to just sit and enjoy or even hike the mountains. Will most definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jeremiah K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardiner
Hampton Inn New Paltz
#1 of 1 in Ellenville
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz

Been to Minnewaska Lodge? Share your experiences!