“Good and bad points”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gardiner
Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Camp-Resort Gardiner
Albany, New York
“Good and bad points”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We camped middle of the week because we enjoy the quiet that it brings. We have been to Lazy River twice before and have had good experiences. We love the camping next to the beautiful river. The views are awesome and the water sparkles, sadly the banks of the river near the campground are still littered with debris from the awful flooding. We were surprised to see plastic storage totes, rebar and strapping as well as other items that you can tell were floated down during the storm. I would expect that the management would want these things removed as campers are encouraged to tube, rent kayaks and such. These hazards are right on the banks not in the water. The park itself is immacuate, much credit is due after the devastating flooding.
I know that a lot of work is needed to keep the bathrooms and showers clean, as noted in other reviews people can be down right disrespectful of facilities. We witnessed staff in and out of and cleaning the comfort station by use 3-4 times a day. One morning around 9:30 we heard a pressure washer start up and staff cleaning the showers and building this went on for almost 3 hrs and it was starting to get on our nerves as the motor droned on and on. We took walks and tried to find things to do but it was midweek and our plan was to sit at the site and read, enjoy the scenery. Finally at noon I couldn't take it anymore I went to the younger of the two men working and inquired as to how much longer the cleaning would be going on. He responded that they still had a lot to do as it was their intention to power wash the sidewalk and the building. I informed him that this was becoming intrusive after 3 hours and he became annoyed with me, telling me it hadn't been that long they didn't start until after 10 and was argumentative. I shrugged by shoulder and left, thinking this is not right, I am paying for the expeirience . Within a half hour they stopped. We went to the TiKi Bar to get a bite to eat, the young lady at the counter was very sweet. In the evening we went back for ice cream, she informed us that the one flavor was not working, we found out that the other two were also not functioning when she tried to fill our order. Also they have menus with items on them that they don't restock once they run out, such as sauerkraut and the sundae toppings. I was surprised since it was the beginning of August but oh well. One issue I think the management might want to look into is the speed at which the golf carts are driven in the park by both staff and seasonal campers. Many times while walking it was obvious they were going way faster then the posted 5 mph, and it is doubtful any of them could stop safely for a darting child or wayward dog on a leash. Just a thought. All in all this is a beautiful campground with many wonderful features, I would visit again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank RLPNYRN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Kingston, New York, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Just returned from spending Thursday evening 'til Sunday afternoon at Jellystone Park at Lazy River! I have to say that we had a wonderful time. We are tent campers and opted to rough it with no electricity or water. There were six of us (4 adults and 2 teens) and we opted for two sites. We were very lucky to have a partially shaded site right on the river. Fishing access was easy and watching those on tubes was plenty entertaining. The pools, although pretty busy were pristine and the water temp was perfect on this very, very hot weekend. The staff was courteous, helpful and pleasant. Even better the family camping next to us turned out to be charming folks as well. By Friday night, the camp filled to capacity and the bathroom and shower facilities took a hard hit. I do not blame the camp staff, but truly condemn those people who are so careless and seem to feel that it is alright to leave their trash around, leave used paper towels on the floor and overstuff toilets to overflowing rendering them useless until staff can come and take care of it. It is disgusting for camp patrons and for the staff that has to correct this kind of unacceptable behavior. By morning the facilities were spotless again, but not before having made the stay uncomfortable for all those who don't have facilities of their own, as those in their own RVs. Would definitely recommend Lazy River to Anyone.

Room Tip: Tent sites 73 and 74 are perfect!
1 Thank Barbara J
South Farmingdale, New York, United States
Reviewed 30 July 2012

If you are looking for a fun family campground you have found the right place. I have been traveling with my RV for over a decade and I am always excited when it comes time to go to Jellystone Lazy River. The owners Glen and John are always very pleasant and often stop by to see how your stay is going. The campground store staff and activities staff are very friendly and try to help in any way they can. We usually stay at the sites near the playground and arcade so we can watch our son run and play with other children he has met. We were there last year during the hurricane and had to evacuate. The owner offered if I wanted to leave my RV at his house on the property if I didn't want to take it home in the bad weather. Any facility I have ever gone into has always been clean. The pools are my sons favorite place to spend his days and are also very clean. We have been there Halloween, which is our favorite and we are currently spending 2 weeks there which we try and do every summer. I wish it was closer to my house so we could come more often.

2 Thank LIHappyCamper
Sandy Hook, Connecticut
Reviewed 28 July 2012

This campground deserves more than 5 stars! The theme of the weekend was Christmas in July. My children had an awesome time doing Christmas Crafts. They also enjoyed seeing all the different sites decorated with lights and other Christmas decorations. On Saturday night, the owners awarded the sites that were decorated the best with a prize.

Now on to the most important items, I have read other reviews on this site about this park & disagree with what some have to say about the owners & the people who work there. My children forgot to bring their bathing suits with them, I needed to find a store to get them suits from ASAP. Being that we are not from the area, I was uncertain where to go. The employees in the store were very helpful in leading me in the direction of the nearest Target and Walmart.

I highly recommend a trip to this campground, activities are great & the children loved seeing the skydivers from the local airport skydive into the park. Don't pass up a trip to this Yogi in Gardiner NY!

3 Thank irish421
Jill S, Public Relations Manager at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Camp-Resort Gardiner, responded to this review, 1 October 2015
Thank you for your kind words, irish421! We appreciate your review very much! It's great to hear that you and your family enjoyed the Christmas in July theme and our staff members. We hope you'll camp with us again! Until next time, please Like us on Facebook to learn more about everything we've been up to at our camp-resort!
Patchogue, New York
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Great campground. Very clean.. lots of sites. The best thing is that there is so much to do in the area. You can ride a bike on the Gardiner Rail Trail. The Walkill river runs thru the campground. It offers great fishing and kayaking. Several miles away is Minnewaska State Park. Awesome hiking and mountain biking. There are two nearby wineries, and the Town of New Paltz is a cool place to walk around

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank rxsrule
new york
Reviewed 9 July 2012 via mobile

My wife and I decided to try out this campground and we are so glad we did. The location is superb and close to great places like New Paltz and Lake Minniwaska (a gem in its own right). Also if you don't feel like cooking there are really great restaurants close by too. The grounds were immaculate and the layout first rate. Our site (176) was shady but we still had a view of the sun and the stars. We met some nice people and we wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank katric1988
New York
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This place is great! First I must defend this park from the nasty reviews below. Last year this park was devastated by 2 major floods 2 weeks apart stemming from hurricane Irene then the tropical storm following it. The park had to close for about 4 weeks so they could get things back in working order and the management contacted all their guests (once power was restored after 2 weeks) to advise them they would be getting full credit for their reservations to be used at any time next year (2012) and if need be, a full refund. I was one of those guests that were displaced by this disaster and found there offer of a credit of the full amount great! its sad to see that when a small family owned business almost losses everything, all that person is worried about is there $150.00... Get real. Next. There is plenty of handicap parking by both pools however, to reduce vehicle traffic in the park there is no auto parking by the pools or tiki bar for normal healthy adults or children. Who wants 200 cars driving all over every day with kids riding their bikes and walking on the same roads? Then they would be complaining there is to much traffic in the park...lol. Yellow water? This would be called a chemical reaction between the iron and chlorine that is added during the water treatment process that is required by the State of New York. I have only seen this once or twice in all my years staying here, I asked the owner and he was more then helpful in explaining this to me. The tiki bar is open from the middle of June until Labor day weekend 7 days a week. The food is quality, Fresh gourmet Burgers, Wraps and Salads, Cold beer on tap, Ice cream and soda. Don’t miss 25 cent wing night on Sundays! Great time had by all!!! Someone is upset that there were no ice packs to be had? Who with kids does not have a first aid kit in there RV or tent? How is it the fault of management that you are not a prepared camper? Myself, My wife and children come camping here a couple times a year and find the Rec staff to be great, Restrooms to be in wonderful shape but you have to understand that when the place is crowded on a holiday weekend some grass and water on the floors is to be expected. I see housekeeping in and out of the bathrooms all day long. My son loves the hayride's and all the arts and crafts that are offered. Reservation staff is great and very helpful in the booking process. I would recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank tlaw822
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardiner
Minnewaska Lodge
#2 of 5 in New Paltz
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park at Birchwood Acres
Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park at B...
#1 of 2 in Greenfield Park

Been to Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park Camp-Resort Gardiner? Share your experiences!