We traveled here with another couple as part of a road trip in the Hudson Valley and spent 4 nights, after being required to pay in full in advance. When you first arrive you drive through the beautiful golf course which overlooks the Hudson River. The building has a lot of glass giving you great views from all of the public rooms. Our room, 204, was very large with a beautiful bathroom. It had a king bed and was very comfortable with great bedding. The only negative on the room was that the closets were short and the drawer space minimal. The rooms as well at the whole facility were spotlessly clean. The room that our friends stayed in, 201, was much smaller with the same king bed which made the room feel very small. There were 2 weddings while we were there and we never heard noise from them. The golf course made a great place to walk in the morning so long as you watched out for golf carts and flying golf balls.
They have a restaurant and bar with good food, excellent wines and friendly service. We had good conversations with the bartenders on 2 nights.
There were some problems that should be addressed by management. They don't serve breakfast which we knew before booking. We were told that we could eat at the grill at the golf course. Well they don't serve much of a breakfast and did not open early enough to eat before a day of touring. The bartender suggested that everyone ate at the Shell station just down the road so we tried it. It was upscale gas station convenience store food which wasn't bad but not what we were looking for and not much of a place to sit and eat. After asking people at the desk and not getting much help we found a place online that was just 5 minutes away. The Garrison Cafe serves gourmet breakfasts with a french flair, someone should have known about this. Also, we found that on Monday the place was unmanned all day, the outside doors locked, except for one that our key opened, and the bar and restaurant were closed. It was spooky to say the least. Throughout our stay each time we asked about something we were told that "we are a small inn" as the reason that we could not be helped. Perhaps they should only rent rooms to people who are there for a wedding. They do not seem to be setup to serve the general public.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Garrison is a 300-acre property located one hour north of Manhattan in the spectacular Hudson Highlands, where the Appalachian mountains cross the Hudson River. Amenities include an 18-hole Dick Wilson-designed golf course, critically-acclaimed restaurant "Valley", a four-room inn, party and meeting spaces for up to 230 people, yoga center, day spa and salon and fitness studio. The Garrison grows its own produce in season on-property for its restaurants, following organic practices. Valley Restaurant Hours: Dinner - Thursday-Saturday, 5:00pm-9:00pm. Brunch - Saturday and Sunday, 11:30am-2:30pm. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Garrison -Inn, Golf, Restaurant And Events
- The Garrison -Inn, Golf, Restaurant & Events Hotel Garrison
- The Garrison Hotel Events