“Hudson Valley Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Tavern - CLOSED

Tavern
Price range: US$10 - US$50
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating
Beacon, New York
“Hudson Valley Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

Seems like a stupid description, but it seems like finding a gem since there's no other restaurant for miles around.
The Tarvern's food shows a lot of thought, creativity and care. The waiters are knowledgeable and friendly. Everyone here seems to be engaged and informed.
The atmosphere is lovely and peaceful. Cozy bar, glass box restaurant with views of the golf course.
That, said, I just found out they are closed for the second two weeks of September. Hope it's not all over at The Tavern!

1 Thank drmobo

New Windsor, New York
“First time, a winner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

My wife and I recently moved into the area from Manhattan and were looking to discover some new restaurants. We took the recommendation from a local business owner, and had dinner there the other night. No kidding, folks, you really need to go to this spot. The grounds are magnificent , the help accomodating and professional, but it's the food that will bring you back. The wine that was recommended was a perfect match for our dinner and was surprisingly reasonable. It seems to me The Tavern does not skimp on their ingredients and the Chef was masterful. Looking forward to a repeat performance.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Barbie L S
jersey city, nj
“Lousy Mothers Day Brunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

I really WANTED to like this place, and had read pretty consistently positive reviews. Mine is the antithesis, unfortunately.

The positives: nice location. The place has a lot of potential, as the building which houses the Tavern has a lovely veranda, a nice lawn, and pretty glass-enclosed room, and all is surrounded by nice grounds.

The negatives: everything else! First, the Mother's Day brunch had two seatings: 11:30 and 1:30. We arrived for the 1:30 at about 1:25, with a reservation, and were told they were setting up, and to simply sit out on the veranda and they would come get my mom and me. We sat outside about 15 minutes, and I decided to check out what was going on. Well, people were already seated and lined up for the buffet! So, when I tapped the hostess who told me to sit outside, she said "oh, good you're here" like it was the first time she saw me. Then, she sat us in the glass enclosed room on a HOT day, with no air conditioning. A restaurant of this caliber should have the rooms air conditioned. We asked to move into the main room which WAS air conditioned, and that was accommodated. The food was average - not bad, but nothing stood out as impressive or original. The service was AWFUL. There was never a time when there were ample plates, silverware, cups, etc, fully stocked for guests. Everyone needed to ASK for any of the above. The help, while friendly, were generally clueless.

My honest opinion is this is a struggling country club (on a beautiful Sunday, it seemed like there were very few guests golfing, or doing anything else) that is trying to make a go at the restaurant for the general public. But, to me, the experience is that it is more of an after thought, and not a genuine attempt.

I am disappointed, as I really wanted to enjoy this, as I shlepped up from Jersey City to meet my mom who lives further upstate.

Visited May 2012
New York
“Lovely Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

The restaurant is pretty and offers very tasty food.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank MarianneNY
USA
“Excellent meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

Lovely restaurant with delicious and fresh food! We were one of only a few in the restaurant (it was a Thursday) and it was like a nice private dinner. Highly recommend the onion tart but everything was excellent!

Visited October 2011