“Would never return”
Review of Belhurst Castle

Belhurst Castle
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 10 February 2009

Belhurst was a nice looking place...from the outside. My boyfriend and I made reservations over the phone and after calling a couple of times with questions I started to have second thoughts. I kept getting different information and all the people that worked there were young. Though their is nothing wrong with that being that I'm only 26 but they were rude on the phone and acted as though I was an inconvenience. When we arrived we were due to go on a wine tour through Grape Vine Country Tours, this went off without a hitch. I was new to taking wine tours and didn't realize how tipsy I was going to be when I was done. We had a blast but when we got back to the castle to check in it was an instant mood changer. My boyfriend and I accidentally walked into Belhurst winery and gift shop with our luggage. The employees started laughing at us because we were clearly in the wrong part of the castle. We asked them for help and got no place, our arms were full of baggage and no one asked us if we could use some help. When we made it to the desk I asked for help and they pointed to a luggage cart!!! We didn't know where we were going and no one wanted to help!! I was outraged after spending 300+ per night!! I demanded to speak to the manager after all of this and he gave us a voucher for a buffet breakfast!!! WOW how nice of him!! Also, the room was dirty, their was hair in our shower and we were not happy.....needless to say we will never go back.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Amanda0911

Reviewed 6 February 2009

Our 5th Wedding Aniv CELEBRATION ... Ruined - Decimated:

Filet mignon, sauteed mushrooms, soup, broccoli, anniv choc cake ..... all tremendous.

Lisa T had great customer service attitude - but she incorrectly/incompletely answered my menu questions. Veal pf was not lightly rolled in flower as she described but buried in tastly but thick breading. Horribly she and the menu failed to explain that the "fresh chopped tomatoes" was laden with a salsa sauce with a lot of HOT green pepper. This was totally unexpected and horrible - and ended any chance of a feeling of celebration.

The BEST for last: My wife and I are 60 yrs old and traveled the US including NYS and Europe. I am a Mechanical Engineer in Marketing & Sales. MALISSA the hostess was not at her station when we arrived at 6:28 pm for our 6:30 reservation. There were no customers in Edgar's when we arrived. At 6:41 we got tired of waiting and I went looking for a hostess. I looked at the bar - overheard a conversation in the back - and managed to obtain Malissa's attention. In a less than a warm voice see asked if we had reservations and I said yes. She escorted us to a lovely window table, but because of my hearing aides function minimally in a noisy environment and the two adjacent tables were reserved for a party of 6 and 4, I asked for a table elsewhere. Her facial expression, eyes and her strut clearly expressed her exasperation that we had not accepted her original offering. She did manage to avoid verbally stating any displeasure and we just did our best to forget her behavior and enjoy our much awaited dinning experience.

When I read the description of the filet ... "5 weeks wet aged" ...
I knew we were in the highly acclaimed restaurant we had planned to go to for months for our special day of celebration.

When we explained our disappointment to Lisa about the surprise of HOT peppers in the Veal plate ... she immediately apologized and listened to our explanation. I was given 2 small egg sized broccoli crowns with my fliet and the salad wedge of iceberg lettuce (that she had been unable to explain it's content before ordering) surprised us that it wasn't baby spinach or similar greens - but was iceberg lettuce !

The original bill: $87.68 revised $60.95 tip to Lisa $15.00

She most professionally deleted the veal from our bill and apologized most figorously. After that was resolved I saw Malissa stutting by again - and recalled her rather arrogant behavior. I asked Lisa if I could discuss this with the mgr - and Lisa said Lisa was the mgr.

Then Malissa indigantly approached us and asked what the problem was. I politely expalined that I did not appreciate her attitude when we had asked for seating to accomodate my hearing. She cranked up the arrogant attitude, proceded to tell me that she had not said anything wrong (true - it was the 80% of human communications - body language, facial expression and look that spoke loudly) and told me that I was wrong in my impression of her attitude and behavior.

I believe a simple apology by her would have been sufficient at this point. But she continued to tell me my impression was wrong, wrong, wrong. At that point I got up from the table and spoke to her face to face to make my feelings clear. My wife said even at 3 feet away - I was too close to her face and should not have raised my finger to her. She did an excellant job of attempting to divert the attention from her behavior - to my expression of disappointment to her - and she preached to me as to how my addressing her was inappropriate and unacceptable to her. Typically this is a frequently affective behavior used by teen age & young college brats.

Incidentally - Lisa was a very warm sweetheart ... our dinning experience took a long 2 1/2 hours ! While she only had the two other tables of 6 and 4 to handle. I realize she likely was not aware that it was her responsibility to reasonable maintain an eye and accessibility to us in between courses if we should need anything. I poured my own wine after she did trhe first glass - and when I needed her - I needed to go looking for her in the dinning room and backroom behind the bar.

I would be interested to hear from Edgar's manager or The Reeders as to how they feel about your staff's behavior ... and about the service and food.

Disappointed - and unlikely to return - and likely to repeat our story to anyone who should even suggest they want to have a pleasant award winning experience at your facility.

The original bill: $87.68 revised $60.95 tip to Lisa $15.00

Kenneth J. Martini
kennethjmartini@aol.com
cell 315 546 4408

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Bubba48
Reviewed 18 January 2009

To celebrate our 6 year anniversary, my boyfriend and I decided that we wanted to go somewhere extra special. We had visited Belhurst before, in the spring of last year and ate at Stonecutters. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and experience. This time we decided we wanted to stay at Belhurst and we wanted to make sure we stayed in the Castle since the pictures online clearly show that Vinifera is more up-to-date and more like typical rooms found in moderately priced hotels. We chose to stay in the Tower Suite for two nights, and even in winter the cost was 300+ a night. However we didnt care, since this was such a big occasion.

Unfortunately, the weekend that we picked (Dec 19th 2008) there was a snowstorm plaguing much of the Northeast the day of our arrival. So after an hour and half drive in white out conditions (we didnt care we were excited to just relax and be warm) we arrive to Belhurst. As my boyfriend puts the key into our large wooden double doors he feels cold air, like the air conditioning is on. We open the door to find that the balcony door is wide open and it is actually snowing in our room. I quickly run to shut the door and check the thermostat which reads 'error' and says 32degrees. We then return to the front desk in which they quickly responded by saying a girls name (maid i assume) and they say it as if she has done things like this before. They quickly offer us a reserve room in the Vinifera Inn since the turret rooms were booked, but we refuse the offer and suggest that they just clean up the snow and allow the tower suite to warm up, and make sure the thermostat still works (The tower suite was just too majestic to pass up, especially since the situation could be fixed, and I wanted to make sure we got our moneys worth). So they tell us to relax in Stonecutters and offer us complimentary drinks. After one round of drinks the manager (?) comes back and tells us that the heat is working and our room warmed up a 'couple of degrees' (oh goodie so now its 34?). So we wait a bit longer and then go back to our room where it is now about 50degrees. It actually took the entire night for the room to heat back up to the 72 degrees since all the heaters are baseboard heaters.

We ate at Edgars the first night and Stonecutters the next. We also ate at Edgars for the early breakfast buffet on Sunday (not the brunch). We had no complaints for the food... I had the duckling and my boyfriend had the prime rib and our appetizers came out quickly. The sandwiches at Stonecutters were great and if you get their chocolate cake it is HUGE. All of the staff was friendly, and some of them - like the wine tasting staff and the waiters at Edgars - even went a bit further and became more personal with us.

However, on Sunday a maid tried to come in our room while we were getting ready and indicated to my boyfriend that it didnt look like we were supposed to be staying in the Tower Suite Sat night. This excited us because we thought we were only going to be charged one night, due to the mishap the first day. That was not the case... we were never reimbursed or provided any complimentary services for our rough first night except our one free drink and a bottle of water that we drank out of our honor bar. In total we proabably spent about $1000+ for that weekend eating at their restaurants and drinking their wine (never saw a spigot on the second floor... maybe they dont do that in winter?).

Another thing as a side note: they do need to seriously up date the bathroom in the tower suite. The hot tub is very old - we actually didnt use it because it was so cold in the bathroom the entire time we were there - and there was a draft coming through the wood panelling, and the shower never stayed a constant temperature. You could actually move the nozzel around 360 degrees and keep going and it would go from very hot to cold or shut off. Some tiles on the floor were cracked and my boyfriend was actually able to pull a loose one out.

And even with all of those negatives the room was still quite amazing, especially the turret. Once the room warmed up it was warm... but it smelled a bit like gas (not sure whether it was supposed to or not) and there was a bit of water damage that probably should be fixed... especially if the tower room is booked all the time for the price we spent.... With all of the issues we had I dont think its worth the price.

I'd still go back there for dinner though... I'd just be wary of the rooms.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Markyslvrgrl
Reviewed 7 December 2008

The dining was terrible for the price. We had a party of 11 and all of us complained about our food. The steaks were fatty yet cost over thirty dollars. Portions were small as well. This comes from a group of people who are not picky eaters. Highly suggest Halsey's restaurant in Geneva.

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank ohzy24
Reviewed 5 October 2008

The property is beautiful.

The room was fair, and certainly not worth the $300/nite rate.

The front desk staff was inattentive and indifferent.

The experience at Edgars restaurant was AWFUL. The waiter reminded me of the lobby staff at Disney's Tower of Terror. Perhaps it was a good thing that he would disappear. Never offered to refill glasses or ask if we wanted more drinks. And never asked if our food was acceptable, which it wasn't. We travel often and dine out frequently. I'm sorry to say that I have had meals at fast food places like Friday's that were given more attention than at Belhurst's Edgars.

A perfectly wonderful anniversary day in the Finger Lakes wine country was spoiled by this uninspiring property.

My recommendation? Stay Away!!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AlfiePa
Reviewed 11 September 2008

We are a senior couple celebrating many years of married life. We booked the "old castle" because we thought it might be a quaint way to spend a memorable night. It certainly turned out to be quaint. We had to pay for this room in advance, and now that we've stayed there, the reason is obvious. Anyone who inspected this room beforehand would probably not voluntarily stay in it. Old doesn't necessarily mean dirty, but this room had cobwebs behind the curtains. Plaster hanging down from the ceilings, plumbing fixtures that didn't work, light bulbs burned out, and electrical extension wires running around on the floors, plus a lot more. At first, I thought it was some kind of a joke. It wasn't. We couldn't find a light switch so we called to have someone come and tell us where it was. They sent the sous chef, who said he cooks and does odd jobs at night when no maintenance people are working. He couldn't find the switch either. Two maids showed up to fix the plumbing. They couldn't. They sent two more guys to fix it. They couldn't, but concluded that maybe we needed a new fixture (shower head). This "suite" was expensive, and our so-called view of the lake was obstructed by the dirt on the windows. I feel ripped.

Stayed: September 2008
3  Thank garbo38
Reviewed 30 July 2008

For two consecutive years, we took our son and roomates to Belhurst for what should have been a wonderful dinner. Hobart College is just down the road and the restaurant is in demand during Parents Weekend.
Each time we have dined at Belhurst, it has been a great disappointment. The service is excellent, however the food is just lousy! Presentation is bizarre...no class, no flavor! Save your money and go to the smaller restaurants around Geneva where you will receive personal service and better quality food. After all...we are talking about upstate NY! Set your standards low!

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank BostonFussy50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
#10 of 11 in Geneva
Hampton Inn Penn Yan
Hampton Inn Penn Yan
#1 of 4 in Penn Yan

Been to Belhurst Castle? Share your experiences!