“Beautifully Romantic”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Sayre, PA
“Beautifully Romantic”
Reviewed 17 March 2009

Our stay was in the Garrett Room. It was cozy and elegant! The staff were courteous and helpful. If you are not impressed by this inn, the beautiful scenery of the Finger Lakes, the staff or the beauty of the rooms, then you are probably snooty and are comparing it to the Ritz.. Good prices, good food!! Absolutely gorgeous!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Prairie9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Penn Yan
Reviewed 4 March 2009

After seeing the breakfast buffet that is advertised on the Belhurst Castle website (it says quite clearly that it is served 7 days a week from 8-10am), my husband and I decided to invite my parents to join us for breakfast at the castle. Imagine our disappointment when we arrived and were told that there was no buffet being served today - that when they don't have enough overnight guests they don't bother with the buffet in the morning!! Not only that, the man at the counter told us that although we could still have breakfast in the dining room, that they were only serving "an extremely limited menu - a la carte". He was totally unconcerned with our disappointment - we felt that we had bothered him simply by our being there! We certainly won't be trying that again!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank SaraCB

Travellers are raving about these Geneva hotels

Pahoa, Hawaii
Reviewed 17 February 2009

We arrived about 1:30 PM on Sunday, Feb. 15, however, our room wasn't available which we sort of knew before hand considering it was Valentine's Day the day before. No worry, we were given a free wine tasting coupon by the very friendly clerk which we then used and afterwards sat at the cozy fireplace in the gift shop. We then went back to check on the room and again it was not ready but then again it was prior to 3pm check in so we ate at Stonecutter's. They have wonderful sandwiches there and we both got our favorites. It was packed in there as we got the last table. Our server was very prompt and friendly and within 10 minutes we were already eating our sandwiches. For the amount of people that were in there, they did an awesome job. As a waitess myself, I am always taking in the server's techniques and friendliness.

Our room was ready after we ate and I have to tell you that the frontdesk staff couldn't have been nicer or friendlier. My husband and I had a wonderful, romantic time and we look forward to many returns. For the record, as a waitress myself I am always happy and friendly to people and that comes back to you so when I go to a restaurant or a hotel, I am upbeat and friendly--I do not have an air about myself because I am spending $$ staying there because believe it or not, we all the same regardless of how much $$ we have or do not have.

As far as the bad reivews, it's all in what YOU do. Being tipsy and bringing your luggage into the gift shop is funny, you just have to laugh at yourself, I would have. The terrible anniversary review, well, I think you are expecting ALOT more than you're accustomed to. A meal that cost $86 to begin with does not need the third degree, that's cheap in today's standard's for a meal in a real nice atmosphere. Remember you are not just paying for the meal/food itself, you are paying for the atmosphere. Giving the waitress the third degree on all the menu items would be so annoying--I mean who is the chef, the waitress??? Also some people will complain to get something for free, as a waitress people will complain about the slightest thing so that they can (or try) to get a free handout, this also annoys me. Just because the hostess seemed snippy to you, didn't deserve a free dinner in my opinion.

I really think that in today's society everyone expects so much from servers/waitresses. Just because the hostess wasn't there at your bidden call, doesn't make for a bad review and I think that maybe, just maybe you were reading into things too much. We have eaten at both Edgar's and Stonecutter's and have NEVER experienced bad service from either the hostess or waitess. I think from the get go some people's expectations are way beyond what we have in the Finger Lakes. The Finger Lakes is doing it's best to offer all of us here an opportunity we didn't have years ago but it is not Europe. The Belhurst is a wonderful place to go to, don't let the bad reviews get the better of a truly romantic place---it's peaceful and elegant, yet so full of nature. It doesn't need to be full of stuffiness just because it's a castle. That's the reason why we love it so much--we sit out eating our sandwiches at Stonecutter's in the summer time overlooking the lake and it's so wonderful and by today's standards (for the atmosphere) very much affordable.

2 Thank annabelle2007
Utica, NY
Reviewed 10 February 2009

Belhurst was a nice looking place...from the outside. My boyfriend and I made reservations over the phone and after calling a couple of times with questions I started to have second thoughts. I kept getting different information and all the people that worked there were young. Though their is nothing wrong with that being that I'm only 26 but they were rude on the phone and acted as though I was an inconvenience. When we arrived we were due to go on a wine tour through Grape Vine Country Tours, this went off without a hitch. I was new to taking wine tours and didn't realize how tipsy I was going to be when I was done. We had a blast but when we got back to the castle to check in it was an instant mood changer. My boyfriend and I accidentally walked into Belhurst winery and gift shop with our luggage. The employees started laughing at us because we were clearly in the wrong part of the castle. We asked them for help and got no place, our arms were full of baggage and no one asked us if we could use some help. When we made it to the desk I asked for help and they pointed to a luggage cart!!! We didn't know where we were going and no one wanted to help!! I was outraged after spending 300+ per night!! I demanded to speak to the manager after all of this and he gave us a voucher for a buffet breakfast!!! WOW how nice of him!! Also, the room was dirty, their was hair in our shower and we were not happy.....needless to say we will never go back.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Amanda0911
Seneca Falls
Reviewed 6 February 2009

Our 5th Wedding Aniv CELEBRATION ... Ruined - Decimated:

Filet mignon, sauteed mushrooms, soup, broccoli, anniv choc cake ..... all tremendous.

Lisa T had great customer service attitude - but she incorrectly/incompletely answered my menu questions. Veal pf was not lightly rolled in flower as she described but buried in tastly but thick breading. Horribly she and the menu failed to explain that the "fresh chopped tomatoes" was laden with a salsa sauce with a lot of HOT green pepper. This was totally unexpected and horrible - and ended any chance of a feeling of celebration.

The BEST for last: My wife and I are 60 yrs old and traveled the US including NYS and Europe. I am a Mechanical Engineer in Marketing & Sales. MALISSA the hostess was not at her station when we arrived at 6:28 pm for our 6:30 reservation. There were no customers in Edgar's when we arrived. At 6:41 we got tired of waiting and I went looking for a hostess. I looked at the bar - overheard a conversation in the back - and managed to obtain Malissa's attention. In a less than a warm voice see asked if we had reservations and I said yes. She escorted us to a lovely window table, but because of my hearing aides function minimally in a noisy environment and the two adjacent tables were reserved for a party of 6 and 4, I asked for a table elsewhere. Her facial expression, eyes and her strut clearly expressed her exasperation that we had not accepted her original offering. She did manage to avoid verbally stating any displeasure and we just did our best to forget her behavior and enjoy our much awaited dinning experience.

When I read the description of the filet ... "5 weeks wet aged" ...
I knew we were in the highly acclaimed restaurant we had planned to go to for months for our special day of celebration.

When we explained our disappointment to Lisa about the surprise of HOT peppers in the Veal plate ... she immediately apologized and listened to our explanation. I was given 2 small egg sized broccoli crowns with my fliet and the salad wedge of iceberg lettuce (that she had been unable to explain it's content before ordering) surprised us that it wasn't baby spinach or similar greens - but was iceberg lettuce !

The original bill: $87.68 revised $60.95 tip to Lisa $15.00

She most professionally deleted the veal from our bill and apologized most figorously. After that was resolved I saw Malissa stutting by again - and recalled her rather arrogant behavior. I asked Lisa if I could discuss this with the mgr - and Lisa said Lisa was the mgr.

Then Malissa indigantly approached us and asked what the problem was. I politely expalined that I did not appreciate her attitude when we had asked for seating to accomodate my hearing. She cranked up the arrogant attitude, proceded to tell me that she had not said anything wrong (true - it was the 80% of human communications - body language, facial expression and look that spoke loudly) and told me that I was wrong in my impression of her attitude and behavior.

I believe a simple apology by her would have been sufficient at this point. But she continued to tell me my impression was wrong, wrong, wrong. At that point I got up from the table and spoke to her face to face to make my feelings clear. My wife said even at 3 feet away - I was too close to her face and should not have raised my finger to her. She did an excellant job of attempting to divert the attention from her behavior - to my expression of disappointment to her - and she preached to me as to how my addressing her was inappropriate and unacceptable to her. Typically this is a frequently affective behavior used by teen age & young college brats.

Incidentally - Lisa was a very warm sweetheart ... our dinning experience took a long 2 1/2 hours ! While she only had the two other tables of 6 and 4 to handle. I realize she likely was not aware that it was her responsibility to reasonable maintain an eye and accessibility to us in between courses if we should need anything. I poured my own wine after she did trhe first glass - and when I needed her - I needed to go looking for her in the dinning room and backroom behind the bar.

I would be interested to hear from Edgar's manager or The Reeders as to how they feel about your staff's behavior ... and about the service and food.

Disappointed - and unlikely to return - and likely to repeat our story to anyone who should even suggest they want to have a pleasant award winning experience at your facility.

The original bill: $87.68 revised $60.95 tip to Lisa $15.00

Kenneth J. Martini
kennethjmartini@aol.com
cell 315 546 4408

• Liked — Filet Mignon - but with only 2 small brocoli crowns ........
  • Disliked — The arrogant, disrespectful, aggressive nasty bit _ _ of a hostess
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Bubba48
Moon Township, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 January 2009

To celebrate our 6 year anniversary, my boyfriend and I decided that we wanted to go somewhere extra special. We had visited Belhurst before, in the spring of last year and ate at Stonecutters. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and experience. This time we decided we wanted to stay at Belhurst and we wanted to make sure we stayed in the Castle since the pictures online clearly show that Vinifera is more up-to-date and more like typical rooms found in moderately priced hotels. We chose to stay in the Tower Suite for two nights, and even in winter the cost was 300+ a night. However we didnt care, since this was such a big occasion.

Unfortunately, the weekend that we picked (Dec 19th 2008) there was a snowstorm plaguing much of the Northeast the day of our arrival. So after an hour and half drive in white out conditions (we didnt care we were excited to just relax and be warm) we arrive to Belhurst. As my boyfriend puts the key into our large wooden double doors he feels cold air, like the air conditioning is on. We open the door to find that the balcony door is wide open and it is actually snowing in our room. I quickly run to shut the door and check the thermostat which reads 'error' and says 32degrees. We then return to the front desk in which they quickly responded by saying a girls name (maid i assume) and they say it as if she has done things like this before. They quickly offer us a reserve room in the Vinifera Inn since the turret rooms were booked, but we refuse the offer and suggest that they just clean up the snow and allow the tower suite to warm up, and make sure the thermostat still works (The tower suite was just too majestic to pass up, especially since the situation could be fixed, and I wanted to make sure we got our moneys worth). So they tell us to relax in Stonecutters and offer us complimentary drinks. After one round of drinks the manager (?) comes back and tells us that the heat is working and our room warmed up a 'couple of degrees' (oh goodie so now its 34?). So we wait a bit longer and then go back to our room where it is now about 50degrees. It actually took the entire night for the room to heat back up to the 72 degrees since all the heaters are baseboard heaters.

We ate at Edgars the first night and Stonecutters the next. We also ate at Edgars for the early breakfast buffet on Sunday (not the brunch). We had no complaints for the food... I had the duckling and my boyfriend had the prime rib and our appetizers came out quickly. The sandwiches at Stonecutters were great and if you get their chocolate cake it is HUGE. All of the staff was friendly, and some of them - like the wine tasting staff and the waiters at Edgars - even went a bit further and became more personal with us.

However, on Sunday a maid tried to come in our room while we were getting ready and indicated to my boyfriend that it didnt look like we were supposed to be staying in the Tower Suite Sat night. This excited us because we thought we were only going to be charged one night, due to the mishap the first day. That was not the case... we were never reimbursed or provided any complimentary services for our rough first night except our one free drink and a bottle of water that we drank out of our honor bar. In total we proabably spent about $1000+ for that weekend eating at their restaurants and drinking their wine (never saw a spigot on the second floor... maybe they dont do that in winter?).

Another thing as a side note: they do need to seriously up date the bathroom in the tower suite. The hot tub is very old - we actually didnt use it because it was so cold in the bathroom the entire time we were there - and there was a draft coming through the wood panelling, and the shower never stayed a constant temperature. You could actually move the nozzel around 360 degrees and keep going and it would go from very hot to cold or shut off. Some tiles on the floor were cracked and my boyfriend was actually able to pull a loose one out.

And even with all of those negatives the room was still quite amazing, especially the turret. Once the room warmed up it was warm... but it smelled a bit like gas (not sure whether it was supposed to or not) and there was a bit of water damage that probably should be fixed... especially if the tower room is booked all the time for the price we spent.... With all of the issues we had I dont think its worth the price.

I'd still go back there for dinner though... I'd just be wary of the rooms.

• Liked — Friendly Staff in bar/restaurant/giftshop, Good Food, Good Entertainment
  • Disliked — Lacked Comfort, Pricey for food and for accomodations, front desk service a bit off
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Markyslvrgrl
virginia
Reviewed 7 December 2008

The dining was terrible for the price. We had a party of 11 and all of us complained about our food. The steaks were fatty yet cost over thirty dollars. Portions were small as well. This comes from a group of people who are not picky eaters. Highly suggest Halsey's restaurant in Geneva.

Stayed December 2008