“Awesome Days!”
Review of Wine Tour Trolley

Wine Tour Trolley
Ranked #3 of 12 Tours in Geneva
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We have done both Seneca and Cayuga with the Wine Trolley and we had an absolute blast. It is definitely what you make of it. The driver's are wonderful and the wineries great. The tour was worth every penny to us. On Cayuga there were four of us and a bachlorette party and I don't think we ever laughed so hard in our life! Our first tour was around Seneca and it was just wonderful. I think this is a great way to ensure a designated driver and really enjoy the wine trail.

1  Thank nikcentralny

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Perfect affordable wine tour for the money so you don't have to worry about drinking and driving!

Reviewed 21 October 2011

My wife and I took this tour Saturday 10/15 from Geneva on Seneca Lake. It picked us up at the Ramada at 10:10am. We were the last pickup I believe. We got to the first winery around 11, and we were there til 1:20pm - yes - over 2 hours. Granted the place had a brewery and restaurant, but there's absolutely no need to stay here for this long.

Every winery it stops at feels like you're at a winery moshpit. HUNDREDS of people everywhere.

Don't waste your money - we spent about $118 on this that could've been spent on a case or two of wine. The driver had ZERO personality and told us NOTHING about anywhere. He was simply a driver - they really should have him or somebody else telling you about the area and sites you're passing to make this more of an informative day.

My wife & I have done similar tours in Napa/Sonoma and had a blast. This, however was a TOTAL LETDOWN. The only reason we did this was because we figured after some tastings, we'd end up a little drunk thus take the stress out of driving. However, every winery had so many people waiting for tastings that there was little to no personal touch anywhere and it was like a production line where you got ~6 sips for $2 per winery and you had to make way for the next group.

To put this in perspective - we saw 5 wineries on this ~7 hour tour. The day before this tour, we got into town at 4pm on Cayuga lake - and visited 4 wineries before 6pm all of which were nicer and had a much more personal touch. Thus if we had all day we could've easily seen 10+ wineries. We understand when you're with a group of 26 people things take time, but this bus should take you to at least 7 wineries.

Granted, the trip around Seneca lake must be close to 80 miles round trip - thus alot of time is spent simply getting from A to B to C. Next time around, we'll drive on our own, and won't attempt to do a full circle.

In defense of this tour, there were many (silver haired) folks that seemed to really enjoy this tour. The reason is because they don't know any better and they must be just really easy to please. Some of the folks we met have done this tour a few years in a row - and apparently the tour stops at the same wineries year after year. Thus, they've obviously got some kind of incentive to bring the trolley clients to the stops that they make. Otherwise, the driver would stop at much less busy places where we could actually take our time and get more of a personalized experience at each stop.

Also, there really aren't any other options in this price range - so I'm not sure what real other reasonably priced options there are for seeing this region without the worry of driving.

The concept is great - however some small changes would really make this a much more enjoyable experience.

6  Thank TomStax
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Our driver (I think Dan or Dale) was knowledgeable, friendly and courteous. He made a very rainy tour of the wineries very pleasant. The trolley tickets weren't that expensive for a tour of 5 wineries and one brewery. Would recommend to family/friends!

1  Thank PatyK
Reviewed 26 August 2011

My wife and I wanted a kid-free get away for a weekend and decided to tour some wineries in NY's Finger Lakes region. However, we didn't want to worry about drinking and driving. This was the perfect solution! Tickets were about $50 each for the all-day tour. We got lucky and called Tuesday to get tickets for Saturday, but I would recommend calling earlier than that, especially if you have a larger group.

The trolley picked us up at our hotel right on time with the online schedule (we happened to have been the first stop). It was clean and air-conditioned (it was a pretty hot day). The only bad thing I would say is that the bench seats were a little bit cramped. Of course after the first winery that didn't seem to bother us too much. Since we were 3 people shy of a full load (we had 21 people for 24 seats) everyone took turns taking advantage of the free seats to spread out a bit.

Our driver, Cowboy Craig, was an excellent host for our ride. We spent the next 40 minutes or so collecting passengers from other hotels. Then Craig gave us a review of our itinerary and a menu for the restaurant we would be stopping at for lunch. He also made sure we knew there was a full cooler of water in the back and that we should be making sure to drink water through the day. Another thing I liked was he gave us a quick run down of the dos and don'ts of wine tastings: if we drink everything we were given we would get drunk and if that was our plan then that was fine but if we didn't want to get drunk that it was acceptable to spit the wine out.

There was an interesting mix of people on our trolley- the back of the bus where we were tended to be more party people and a bit boisterous. The front was a little more reserved. Everyone seemed to have a great time! We were able to leave belongings (including the wine we bought) on the trolley at each stop which made everything more convenient.

The wineries were an excellent mix of different types of wine and atmosphere and we ended up buying a few bottles at each location. I enjoyed the winery tour at one of our stops, but my wife was kind of bored by it. It was free, so that was no big deal. All of the wineries charged a nominal ($2-3) fee for tastings of 6-8 wines. Many gave coupons that took the charge of tasting off of your purchases, so realistically the tastings were free. We took lots of pictures because the scenery was quite nice as we went around the lake.

By the time the day was done we were pleasantly relaxed and enjoying ourselves. Not worrying about driving, getting lost, or picking the right wineries made the day that much better. At the end of the day Craig returned us back to our hotel, made sure we got our wine, and then rode off into the sunset like a real cowboy!

4  Thank cohenbd