“peaceful and pastoral”

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Boonton, New Jersey
“peaceful and pastoral”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at White Springs Manor in April 2013. We were there on a Travel Zoo voucher. We stayed one night in the "Dining Room" and one night in the Music room. We had to change our dates from March to April due to a snow storm and they were more than accommodating. However in doing so I wrote the wrong dates. I found out the morning we were to leave home that we had missed our first night. They were so nice about it and said to just come and they will find us a room for the second night. We had the room we chose for the first night but for the second they gave us a choice between the two rooms they had left .
we found the rooms clean and comfortable. Yes some things need to be updated but it is clear they are working on it. The staff was very attentive .We asked if they could switch our tv with a newer on that had closed captioning. We returned to our room hours later to find a brand new flat screen tv!!
We had our lunch vouchers at the Belhurst castle which is 2 miles away and was lovely .We also had 2 free wine tastings.
I was amazed that even though the Manor was full we felt like there was no one there but us. We never heard anyone at all.
The dining room where we stayed was huge! If I could do cartwheels I would have no trouble in this room. The floor to ceiling windows looked out on the vineyard nearby and the sunrise in the morning and even had window seats. The Jacuzzi was huge! The bathroom was completely updated and spotless in both rooms...A new TV, coffee table, curtains and carpet would be a good idea .If they have not already been replaced.
The music room proved to be a pleasant surprise. I was wary of the circular staircase to bathroom and Jacuzzi below but the room was so tastefully decorated and cozy we found the trip to the downstairs kind of fun. This room also had a sunrise view and in the distance you could see the lake.
There were a lot of very nice details and some things that as I said needed a bit of attention but the charm and comfort and attention from the staff made up for them.
We would happily return sometime. The only drawback was that unless you like to go wine tasting there is not a lot to do around there. It is perfect though if you want to get away from it all and feel spoiled and just relax.

Room Tip: rooms facing east have the best views, sunrise, lake and orchard!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lindybugg22

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We stayed in the Pond View room, overlooking the pond and a wonderful sunrise. Manor is pretty secluded and private. Great for a quiet get away. House is old (1920s) but very well maintained. You could see the lake, Ravine's winery and White Springs Vineyard from our room. Only negative was coffee pot didn't work but we reported it, staff apologized and offered us coffee on the spot. Gas fireplace and jacuzzi tub were a nice touch. I am not really into old houses but did not find it dark and creepy but rather reminiscent of the time period and quite relaxing. We had a Travelzoo voucher that included breakfast and wine tasting at Ravine's, right around the corner from the manor. Well worth the price. Highly recommend to anyone who wants a quiet get away. All ammenities at Belhurst Castle included also, about 2.5 miles away.

Room Tip: Pond View room was excellent
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank goodeye2
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here while visiting wineries in the area. We had the Lee room. It is on the second floor with a great view of Ravines and White Springs Vinyards. I recommend staying here in the spring or fall, when you can make use of the gas fireplace and jacuzzi tub. It is an interesting property, and we enjoyed our stay. However, much of the outside of the building, and some items in the room (like the windows) need maintenance.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Adam B
Manahawkin, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 January 2013

This review is for the White Springs "Play house" that doesn't offer any pictures on the Belhurst website. Due to the lack of pictures, and the mixed reviews, my fiance and I were hesitant in booking a night at the Play House. Well, I'm hoping this review will help you out, if you too, are on the fence of booking. I will start by saying, the entire White Springs Manor and Play House location is gorgeous. BUT, that being said, it is NOT for those who do not like a little history, charm, a little rough around the edges accommodations, and in the middle of nowhere atmosphere. If you are looking for a 5 star resort, this is not for you. It's old. And, being that it is older, you have to realize that things won't be up to par as they would in any other modern day 5 star resort. However, every room I have stayed in (I have been there three different times), I have never had a bad room.

On to the Play House. It is an adorable cottage set apart from the White Springs Manor. It is rustic, but spacious, and super cozy. Completely private, no worries about neighbors. The most I can do for advocating the Play House (which I absolutely loved) is showing pictures. My fiance and I booked it for one night, had a long dinner at Edgar's, and enjoyed our time before and after dinner relaxing at the cottage. It is truly peaceful. Do not let the other negative reviews discourage you from booking this property.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank kmk213
Chicago
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our first night away sans-kids. I found it to be a great balance between B&B and hotel. With the great charm and comfort of a B&B with more of the privacy feel of a hotel.
We stayed in the Music room and thought it was one of the most interesting rooms I've ever seen. Being a young couple we thought the spiral staircase was a creative use of space and didn't find it difficult to use. We were thankful to have access to our own thermostat as the room was quite cold for an August day. Though we didn't need it, it was convenient to have a direct phone line available for our room too. (Apparently, telemarketers can still find you here though!) For such a great room with a fireplace and jacuzzi, the price beat out even the Best Western standard room just a few miles away!
I will say the map and directions given to us after checking in at Belhurst could have been better. Pay attention and be sure to count your streets! Still it only took us a few extra minutes to find the Manor. Be sure to pick up the little pamphlet at the Belhurst front desk for history on the properties.
I thought the chocolates and the cute little rubber ducky on the jacuzzi were nice touches. In fact when I asked at the Belhurst front desk about where I could buy the ducks (they weren't in their gift shop) the agent at the desk called someone to bring me extras to bring home to the kids, complimentry.
If I could knock off just half a point the only thing that would drop my rating is the poor repairs done around the property. The button on the jacuzzi broke as soon as I turned it on. Some minor holes and scuffs in the walls were poorly patched up too. Maybe my expectations are too high though as my husband is quite skilled in these areas. The property is really nice and a relaxing place to be. We enjoyed quite a long meal at Edgar's (great fixed price menu options for dinner) otherwise we would have spent more time enjoying the veranda in the back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kwitschau
pa
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Beautiful, historic manor house with a view of Seneca Lake and the vineyards. Very spacious and quiet. It was conveniently located to the Belhurst, Geneva, wine tasting trail but removed from the hectic pace. The sun coming up in the mornings was lovely. Very large rooms, working jacuzzi, adequate amenities. They could use WI-FI. I had to go to McD's or the Belhurst for connections. The mattress was a bit soft and the room could have used more lighting next to the beds but overall, we would definitely stay there again. Enjoyed a little walk to the vineyards and pond/gazebo. The estate trees were spectacular!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank soleiloc
Bloomfield, NY
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I was a little worried about staying at White Springs after reading some of the reviews ("dark and creepy"?!) but my family and I thought it was just fine. You do need to check in at Belhurst first as there is no staff at White Springs. And like everything at Belhurst it's set up as a couples getaway, but unlike Belhurst the rooms were super large so that for $10 each the staff was able to provide cots (no fire code violation). That meant that the kids were thrilled to sleep in the beautiful canopy bed and my husband and I were very pleasantly surprised by how comfortable the cots were (bought Advil in town for the next morning's anticipated back ache but never needed it!). You need to remember that White Spring Manor is over 100 years old so it's not the Hilton. Sure ... I wish I had a million to funnel into it for beautiful naturally finished oak doors instead of the painted doors used for each room. And the windows need some serious help (old pulley system). But the air seemed to work because we were all completely comfortable on a 90 degree day with the windows closed and there was a flat screen TV that got Nickelodeon. By the number of cars in the parking lot all of the rooms seemed occupied and the only noise I ever heard was when someone came in the front door (I was on the first floor in the "Living Room"). Be aware, though, that the Living Room has a spiral staircase that goes downstairs. The downstairs is the bathroom: vanity, toilet, shower. There is no door on the toilet/shower area. We thought for a couples getaway it could prove akward and less than romantic. As a family ... no big deal. All-in-all I was pleased.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family