“It wasn't horrible it wasn't fantastic” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Americas Best Value Inn

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Trenton, Maine
“It wasn't horrible it wasn't fantastic”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

We came to Geneva for a wedding. All the hotels in the area we needed to be in were booked except this one. I read the reviews but still booked because of its proximity to the wedding. Checkin was easy and the people at the desk whom I assume are the owners were very nice. The hallway was musty, low lit and smelled of smoke. The outside doors to the hallway are always open. No lock or key card used for security. The room was musty and damp. The walls need a good scrub and paint job. The bathroom is in great need of a very thorough scrub and paint job. Oddly, the sink looked brand new and worked fine. We didn't use the shower as it was worn and had moldy calking around the edges. There was a fridge and microwave in the room which we didn't use but I'm sure can come in handy. The bed was fairly comfortable and the sheets were very thin and smelled of bleach. Even the bed felt a little damp. There's a complementary continental breakfast from 7am to 10am. It had cereal, bagels, bread for toast, donuts, OJ, coffee, tea and a make your own waffle stand. We didn't eat anything (the room grossed us out that much that we had no appetite) but the coffee was good. The female owner was very friendly when we checked out. We can tell they are trying very hard but sadly it was....for lack of a better word...Gross.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Diana W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Gatineau, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

This hotel looks like a typical hotel that a hooker uses for her night, room was "somewhat" clean, a big pinking stain on the wall, hoping it was some fruit juice or something, cracks in the ceiling, bathroom was disgusting, neither my spouse or I took a shower that morning by fear of being dirtier than before. Continental breakfast constituted of make your own waffles (decent) 4 bagels, 4 slices of bread, 4 cheap doughnuts, orange and apple juice, a container of grape jelly (with a knife in it for everyone, gross) a container a butter (same as the jelly, gross!) would never stay there even if it was free!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank pat s
abvigeneva, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
We are sorry that you did not find your stay at our hotel satisfactory, we are trying very hard to brand ourselves as a newly renovated property and want nothing but the best for our guests. Since you have been here we painted all rooms, ceilings, doors and baths. We have regrouted baths and installed new shiny toilets and sinks! We have been getting a lot of great responses. While our complimentary breakfast is basic, it is fresh and seemingly enough for our guests who sometimes prefer to go to Dunkin Donuts or Tim Hortons next door. We do hope you come and stay with us to see the difference!

Travellers are raving about these Geneva hotels

new york city
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night because there was nothing else available in Geneva. I really wish we had kept driving. The ordeal started when we arrived at the hotel in the morning to check in. I had pre-paid an outrageous (150) amount for a room, so I was very upset to find out that they had "no record of my reservation," even though the charge was already on my credit card. We were told they, "would try to sort it out" but that they "were booked up for the night." We came back a couple hours later and were told that there were plenty of rooms available for us to pick from. Hmmmm... I thought they were booked up? Anyway, we get to our room and that's when the real fun began. It was quite outdated, which we expected, so no big deal there. Everything in the room was filthy and covered with stains. Our sheets seemed fresh, or else we would not have stayed. The room stunk like I don't even know what- a combination of cigarette, mold, stale deodorizers, ets. The air conditioner worked but was so dirty that it gave us both headaches to keep on. The mattress had a "Marriott" sticker, which means these were some other hotel's leftover mattresses. The bathroom had black grout, and obvious mold. The tub did not drain, and so it filled up by the end of a barely-warm shower. There were two locks on the door- one of which didn't look AT ALL, and the other which didn't lock securely. There was a large gap under the door that looked like someone/thing had clawed at to create. We felt far from safe, especially given the number of teens loitering and skateboarding in the parking lot outside of our room and the numerous weirdos seen walking aimlessly in the lot. If Geneva were an unsafe area overall, we never would have stayed the night. My favorite part of the night has to be the part where the SHERIFF knocked on our door, woke us up, and questioned us about a robbery reported to have taken place in our hotel room. He informed us that the hotel is usually not stayed at by tourists. Rather, it is frequented by "guests of the state," ex: halfway house, witnesses, prison transports, etc. These are the words of the sheriff!!!! Save your money, keep driving!! I would rather sleep in my car than stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay in your car. Or, keep driving.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank misha11417
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

We ended up straying here because there was nothing else available within a reasonable price range during our travel dates. Apparently there was a PGA tour and a NASCAR event nearby that caused all decent hotels to be booked. Normally this hotel would cost $50 a night which would tell you about the quality, but we paid $100+ a night because everything else was booked. The motel is old and tired. Our room had a terrible stench that would not go away even after couple hours of ventilating. The windows didn't have screens, so we couldn't even keep them open at night because of mosquitoes. The supposedly washed towels had hair stuck to them. Our bathroom was missing window curtain. Beds were uncomfortable. One of the two rooms we booked was not even cleaned after the previous occupant when we got the key. The only positive note about this motel is a grassy picnic area with tables that allowed us to have a snack in fresh air instead of the stinky room.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Lockport, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

We couldn't find any other hotels with vacancies so we booked here. It looked dumpy when we pulled up, but it was late and our kids were tired. Got into room it smelled and did not seem clean. Tried to sleep but couldn't. We did not feel safe. The window in the bathroom did not have a lock. We didn't even want to walk barefoot on the carpet. After about 45 minutes we woke the kids up and left. The guy at the front desk did give us our money back. That was the only positive.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cindy K
Beverly, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

This Ownership is a bunch of manipulating LIARS I had booked a reservation thru Americas best value inn using myVALUE CLUB #601168176 for thur nite because our friends had a guest at the house in Cannadaguia Lake then I reconfirmed with the man who may own this at 2 queen beds for 1 night at $50.99 plus tax my rate when I arrived at 11pm was 59.99 and He could not find my original reservation from value club. Nice room beds were great, breakfast fine go to rebook for Friday wife 68.95 plus tax then husband comes out tells Mary 99.95 she gets it down to 79.95 and pays I paid nite before. I go online the price for me with value club is $70.39 some bargaining EH!!!!! I will let management know that this place is dishonest in an attempt to not honor the value club prices! I had things to do with my friends at the lake not be bothered with this personor his family from where ever they may come from. BEWARE of the changing price as I ask 5 other couples from double rooms and they paid between 89.95 & 105.95 plus tax I am Jim Stallmayer 203-660-8100 % Brinscall ct Danbury Ct 06810

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

This hotel looks like nothing had been done to it since the 1950's. Other than the keycard entry and color television everything else was old and musty. The windows were old, wooden windows with the rotating latches. The room was musty. The sheets were thin. There was no clock in the room. The bathtub had a dead ant in it. There was even an old fashioned bottle opener screwed onto the door frame of the bathroom. The room next to mine had the door open almost the entire time and the resident layed on the bed with the TV on. I paid around $90 a day and I think that was over-priced. I do not recommend you stay here unless you're desperate.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Eric W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Seneca Falls
Hampton Inn Seneca Falls
Hampton Inn Seneca Falls
#1 of 4 in Seneca Falls

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!