“Never been grossed out so much in my life!”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Massachusetts
“Never been grossed out so much in my life!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2009

Here is a copy of the letter I sent to ABVI management:
Dear Corporate Management
Hello, this message is for the management of Americas Best Value Inn to detail my experience with ABVI in Geneva NY.
We took the card key and went to the room. It was a suite but had only one bed, but had a pull out couch bed. This is not what I would have reserved for the 4 of us as I would never had agreed to have us sleeping on a couch bed as they are very uncomfortable. I believe when I reserved the room, the manager indicated it as two beds including the couch as a bed where I was expecting 2 real beds. This in itself was not a major issue, so I went to the desk and they were ok with changing to a room with two real beds.

We went to the new room #161 (which they indicated was fully ready). As we walked up to the room, the door was wide open to the hallway, which was odd. Again, not a big deal at that point. We walked in started to settle in but noticed the room was not clean. The flat furniture surfaces were sticky and had many drink marks on them, the refrigerator had two meals from the previous customer, and worse, the bathroom had many hairs in the sink and tub area and it was obvious the tub area had not really been cleaned, just kind of rinsed out. This had us sort of grossed out so we called the desk and asked for yet another room.

Going into this next room #162 was also initially alarming to us as the door was very difficult to open and close and lock and was about to fall apart from the looks of it. We were ok with that but as we got into this room we looked around and were even more grossed out by what we saw. The room itself was barely passable for clean but it was very late and we were very tired so were not too picky at this point. What totally grossed us out was the condition of the bathroom again! This bathroom had a used towel hanging on the inside of the bathroom door, many hairs in and around the sink as well as the tub. The tub had mold growing around the tiles and it was very evident that the walls of the tub area had not been cleaned in a long while. The toilet had NOT EVEN BEEN FLUSHED, it had yellow water and toilet paper still in the bowl!!!! The sink had faucet handles that were barely attached. The cold control especially was barely working. When I turned on the hot water, water would pour out of the faucet but also was coming out and around the cold water handle area as well. The floors were dirty and not vacuumed and no cups for using to brush your teeth. All of this was very disconcerting to us and we were very, very grossed out. As it was late and due to pleading by our kids to not move yet again, we agreed to stay but did not touch any of the surfaces and used the bathroom as little as possible.

I like to think I am fairly tolerant of the condition of a hotel room, especially one that is on the lower end of the scale (we have been to many many motels) but this is by far the most gross experience I have ever had. It just boggles my mind that a motel can stay in business with this level of condition. I would recommend that the management of ABVI relinquish any association with this motel in Geneva. This accounting of our experience is totally true. I could not have possibly made up this level of grossness. This message will also be sent to the corporate office via regular mail as well. I want to make sure this level of motel management is fully realized at ABVI. As this is the first time I have ever felt I HAD to respond to the condition of a motel, I would be interested in understanding your view point on this situation.

Alden Smith

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank onemoretraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Amherst,MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2009

Hello,
This evening Amie provided me with exceptional customer service. I am a repeat customer from Massachusetts. I have secured reservations for May 16, 2009. The purpose of my trip and lodging needs is to attend my daughter's graduation from William Smith College. I recommend your Inn to other parents of graduates for it's service and convenience to campus. Thank You

• Liked — Customer service, Wi-Fi, CONVENIENCE to William Smith College campus visiting daughter
  • Disliked — Lighting in the room
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2008

For $80.00 a night you can't expect a 5 star rating. We booked 2 rooms both were clean and had new rugs. Bathroom was old but clean. Had a great weekend touring the area and didn't spend much time in the room.
Remember most people will always write a negative review but very few take the time to write positive ones.
I have no problem recommending this motel for an inexpensive getaway.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — needs update
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Citysue
new york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2008

I made the mistake of not checking Trip advisor before staying in this dump. I have never in my life seen a motel room in such bad shape. I too had the problem of being charged more than the quoted price of the room but when I asked about the increase I was told that the maintance man took my reservation and he did not know how to do math!! I booked this room because we were traveling with a dog and they accepted dogs. If it had not been a holiday weekend we would have left but everything was booked and no one else in the area took dogs so we were stuck.. I wrote to the corporated offices and never heard a word from them. The room and bathroom were in very bad shape. I was afraid to take a shower because the liner was covered in mold. There were cobwebs everywhere and the carpet looked at least 40 years old. I never took my shoes off and I slept in my clothes. Other reviews are very accurate. Stay far, far away!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sheisher

Travellers are raving about these Geneva hotels

ny
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2008

we called the inn in sept 2008 to book rooms for oct 2008. we were given the amount of 109.00 for a 2 night stay. latter that same day the couple we went with called and were given the same rate.when we checked in on oct 4th we payed 109.00 plus tax for a rate of 121.24.as we were takeing our bags from the car the owners came running out and said they had made a mistake and only charged us for one night.we went in side and told them that was rate given to us on the phone. they stated it was a very busy week end in town and we would not find a room any where so rate was 121.24 a night.I had tryed to find a room else where so knew they where right about no rooms .so we stayed even though we knew we were being taken.when we got to our room we found, torn carpet,pillows stained so bad you could see it threw pillow case,fridge in room had so much ice in side it was colder in the car.the heater in bath room was all rusted,shower had cracked walls,mold,and caulk missing between tiles.the couple we went with ask for a no smoking room and were given a room that smelled so bad they slept with windows open all night.the bed in there all so smelled.there bath was like ours. the next day they asked for a nother room.owners gave them one but did not seem happy about it.they found it hard to belive room stunk.I E-MAILED headquarters for this inn when we returned home with this same review.they E-mailed owners and he said they would give me a free night.I would never stay here again.this place is the pits.if you can not find a room some where else change your plans to another day.I will be sure to use trip review from now on

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank hoboNy
New York State
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2008

We stopped by this place and I was told they had a 3 room apartment. I booked it and when we walked into it the place was the pits. The beds were unmaid, garbage was around, etc. I went back to the front desk and the young lady appologized and said that she had just been told that the rooms were not done yet (remodeling, supposedly)

I then asked for two rooms and a key so we could check the room out. So we walked down and checked the room out. It was old but would suffice for the night. While I went back to get the second key for the other room the rest of the family moved stuff into the first room.

My wife and I opened the second room and walked into another pig pen. There was garbage in the room, beds had not been changed so the room had never been serviced after the previous people checked out. The maintenance man was walking by and I asked him to look at the room.

We collected the items from the first room and packed the van. As I was walking away my wife asked what if they give us a hassle and I said loud enough that the maintenance man could hear that I would call Discover card and let the motel deal with them if they gave me any hassle.

When I walked into the lobby the young girl appologized profusely and already had the credit slip for my credit card.
There was an foreign looking lady behind the desk who was trying to get her to give us another room but the young lady said to her that there was no excuse for what we had been put through and that she was crediting our credit card (Kudos to her, hope she didn't loose her job for that comment to the boss)

So we left Geneva at 9pm and drove 3hours home to our own beds!

Sleep in your vehicle if there are no other options for you or drive to another town. Don't stay here!

• Liked — That we didn't stay there and got a full refund.
  • Disliked — The rooms.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank NY_Travlin
Rochester, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2008

"I should've checked TripAdvisor first!"

I often read this statement in reviews here and shake my head, confident that this wouldn't happen to me (because I almost always check TripAdvisor first). Well, it happened - I was booking last-minute after a late invite to a wedding, and nothing else in the area was available under $500. I grimaced at the website and photos, hoping and praying that it wouldn't be that bad.

It was much, much worse. I'll admit that I now have somewhat of a vendetta against them, but that's only due to the horrible customer service I experienced while there and since my trip. I stay in hotels a good deal (~125 nights/yr) and am perhaps accustomed to a level of service; however, even against other places at their star/price level, this place has got to be the pits. Instead of a "the customer is always right" attitude, they seem to have a "try to ignore, insult, condescend to, and generally piss off the customer whenever possible" attitude.

To top this all off, after refusing to even talk about my request for a partial refund while I was there and ignoring my e-mailed request, they screwed up and replied to my e-mail, instead of forwarding it, with lies to their regional manager about discussions we supposedly had. They were even inept about trying to screw me out of my money. Amazing.

Others on here have adequately touched on how nasty, old, gross, and generally terrible this place is, physically, so I won't add to the chorus. Just know that I would never, ever, ever let my worst enemy, let alone my friends, coworkers, or loved ones, stay at this place. Ever.

• Liked — When I got to leave.
  • Disliked — The service AND accommodations were disliked equally (and extremely)
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank brendotroy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Holiday Inn Express Hotels Geneva Finger Lakes
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Geneva
Fairfield Inn & Suites Geneva Finger Lakes
Hampton Inn Geneva
Hampton Inn Geneva
#2 of 11 in Geneva
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Seneca Falls

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!