“casual atmosphere, good food”
Review of Ports Cafe

Ports Cafe
Ranked #1 of 90 Restaurants in Geneva
Price range: US$15 - US$28
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: An informal setting overlooking Seneca Lake, featuring savory and unique dishes made from fresh, ​locally sourced ingredients.​ ​Finger Lakes wines and craft beers are available by the glass. Reservations Recommended. Maximum group is 8.
Waterloo, Canada
“casual atmosphere, good food”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The decor is unpretentious but cute. Our server was very friendly, answering our (as usual) many questions and guiding us towards our eventual choices.

My clam chowder starter was very nice - more celery than I expected, but it was tasty. Much better than others I'd had on my trip. My wife's butternut squash and goat cheese ravioli was good, but there was a little too much oil in the dish.

Her scallops and pork belly were also very tasty and prepared very well, both proteins being quite tender and moist. The scallops had a good sear on the outside. She found, though, that there was some kind of spice in the squash puree (we couldn't identify it - ginger?) that was a little strong. I didn't mind it so much, but she was a little turned off. My striploin with carmelized onion butter and onion rings was (to my mind) the star of the night, though. A beautifully cooked piece of meat whose sides accompanied it very well, especially the sour cream smashed potatoes. (The veggies weren't super exciting, but were better than just steamed broccoli.) I usually don't order steak when I'm out; I'm able to grill an acceptable specimen at home, and don't usually think the restaurant premium you pay is worth it. Here, it was.

Dessert was a "pumpkin bread pudding". I detected no pumpkin. Some pumpkin pie spice, maybe. This downgraded it to "bread pudding". Still a nice dessert, with some vanilla Ben & Jerry's (the first time I've seen a restaurant specify their ice cream brand), but not quite what we expected.

The presentation of the dishes was nothing special, with the scallop/pork belly combo being a little odd. Still, the food was very good and the prices were reasonable. I'd definitely head back.

Lewes, Delaware
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We made a reservation on a September Tuesday for my husband's birthday. We thought it would be the highlight meal of our Finger Lakes trip, since everyone we met along the way recommended this as the best restaurant in the Geneva area. But we came away very disappointed. It took almost a half hour past our reservation time to be seated, then another 20 minutes to have a server appear. My husband ordered the ribs which were not all that tender and very dry. I had the shrimp, artichokes & feta pasta entree which sounded good, but turned out to be very bland - there was no flavor at all. We then shared a pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. It was creamy and tasty, but had no hint of pumpkin in the flavor. I would not recommend this place.

2 Thank Patti D
Syracuse, New York
“Lived up to the raves”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Several friends had recommended Ports Cafe as a terrific restaurant and our experience lived up to the hype. Great food, great service. The menu provided ample options and each entree was wonderful. We plan to return for future dining whenever in the Geneva area. Be sure to have a reservation.

• Visited August 2013
“Uneasy experience.”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

The food was okay. It took longer than it should have to get food. Our waitress, Nancy, couldn't keep her eyes off of my husband. She was very flirtatious and it made me feel very uncomfortable. I couldnt wait to leave.

1 Thank aprice197350
Toronto
“Almost excellent”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The restaurant was busy so any food was slow to arrive. Fortunately we weren't in a great hurry. The food when it did arrive was excellent. Our server was personable and quite helpful in helping us make our choices.

We were disappointed when during dessert our server plunked the bill on the table without a word and we never saw him again. Another person (manager?) picked up our credit card and the tip which we had left in cash.

That treatment spoiled an otherwise pleasant visit.

1 Thank sabavisitor