“HWS Graduation Weekend”
Review of Geneva on the Lake

Geneva on the Lake
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Finding a room during graduation is extremely difficult. We were able to book this one a year in advance. I read many mixed reviews on this site and was slightly worried, particularly with how much we were spending. The room was beautiful. It was a suite (I believe they all are, plus villas). It even included a kitchenette with a complimentary bottle of wine. The only problem was that they were understaffed. Everyone was doing multiple jobs. When we asked for an extra blanket the front desk person brought it. When we ordered drinks by the outdoor fire the hostess took the order. On our last day the breakfast which was included was terrible. The dining room was full with only two servers. It was a buffet. They ran out of plates, the eggs were burnt, and the apple juice had turned. We left a lovely weekend on a bad note.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, so if you have difficulty walking be sure to request a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PamandSam

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Geneva on the Lake. The property retains the atmosphere of a country estate where guests are welcomed and made to feel completely at home. We liked our spacious suite as well as other features of the hotel such as the parlour where guests can drop in for coffee, chess, reading, or conversation. Our dinner to celebrate my husband's birthday was excellent, as was the Mother's Day buffet brunch the following day. The dining room is particularly gracious with linen covered tables carefully placed to make the most of the views of the lake, and the service is courteous and knowledgeable. And of course, there's the garden with its views over Seneca Lake - wonderful! We plan to return, soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is a must visit while in the finger lakes. It was romantic, great bed linens, comfortable and we had dinner in the dining room that was outstanding. Our package included breakfast and dinner. The only thing you will pay for is drinks and taxes and tips. Beautiful view of the lake from or room and dining room

Room Tip: There is no spa, but there is an outside pool that was not open when we were there
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2014

A recent trip to the Finger Lakes with my sister and retired parents was absolutely top shelf. A five star dining experience and a wonderful property that has everything to offer in a beautiful, private setting. A manor-like feel, not a sterile hotel, with an ease of accommodation for all. I chose the groundfloor townhouse suite while traveling with my elder but young at heart parents which was perfect. We were all together, not cramped, enjoyed full days of scenic culture, a gourmet dinner and piano player in their lovely dining room. We retired with a game of family scrabble and glass of wine while my Mom could enjoying her ritual of evening tea and reading comfortably. The front desk, hotel and restaurant staff is so friendly and welcoming. Better than the Four Seasons (where I recently stayed in Bora Bora). I even left my laptop in the room and they mailed it back to me, no problem! I highly recommend this place and will return for a romantic, wine country weekend on my next stay.

Room Tip: Towhouse suite was perfect for me and my parents. Would choose a romantic suite and lakeview as a c...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank dawn d
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We returned as our last visit was 1988! Food was excellent , soups very different, salads again very different, I raised lamb so know good lamb which this was ... and the rest of the meal was the same. We had a LIVE harpist the waitress was very good but not in your face. We sat by the window and a deer sauntered by about 100 feet away. The breakfast was over the top a frittatta a perfect croissant HOT, perfect fruit with great yoghurt my wife had 3 huge pieces of thick sliced french toast with local maple syrup> The manager was very gracious and was genuinely interested in how everthing was. It really is a very relaxing first class experience. The bell boy has been there 9 years. Everyone is trying to outdo the other person to try and make your stay the best. I would say it is the best experience we have ever had!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JDL305
Reviewed 8 February 2014

My sister and I stayed here during a trip to the Finger Lakes in September. We were there on a golf and dine package. Unfortunately we were unable to golf due to the weather, but they refunded us the green fees with no questions asked. We enjoyed a lovely candlelight dinner with a live harpist. We were the only table in for dinner. Had the place to ourselves. It was lovely! Food was great, service was excellent. Our room was quite spacious, although dated. I have read other reviews complaining about the state of the rooms. This is a historic inn! It is old. You can't come here and expect perfection. But we were very happy with the cleanliness and service. The bell boy was very cute and adorable! We felt very welcome and appreciated. Grounds are lovely! The area has lots of things to do and see. I highly recommend visiting the Finger Lakes and Geneva on the Lake. Thanks for a fantastic 50th birthday!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 16Margaret
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We wanted a quiet weekend getaway and found a good deal for a Sunday night. We visited a few local wineries on the way and got here in the late afternoon.

First, a bit about the place. It is a converted mansion, so it's not set up like a regular hotel. The front desk/office is in the part of the building closest to the first of two parking lots. Going down the stairs, we came to the office and were met by a very friendly and helpful hostess. We felt very welcome. She told us about our room and also about the cider and cookies in the parlor, where we could sit and read or play games. To get to the parlor you have to go back outside and farther along the building. It was very nice, with a great view of the grounds and the lake nearby.

Getting to the room was the best. It was three more doors down the building, past the restaurant entrance, and up the stairs. (Please note: there are no elevators here.) The room was cozy and pleasant. We had the suite with Jacuzzi. Nice! A little kitchenette helped us keep our snacks and wine chilled. You can make coffee or tea if you like.

We dined downstairs at the restaurant. So nice! The salmon entree was flavorful and cooked precisely. We also had the brie appetizer, but saved it for dessert because it was so sweet. The candle-lit tables were so pretty and romantic! Live music from a piano player rounded out the experience.

We enjoyed the free breakfast in the little dining room and loved the view of the patio and lake. Excellent food again and great service!

Overall, this was a great experience. We'll be back, perhaps in the summer to enjoy the live music in the garden.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Christopher J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
#3 of 11 in Geneva
Hampton Inn Seneca Falls
Hampton Inn Seneca Falls
#1 of 4 in Seneca Falls

Been to Geneva on the Lake? Share your experiences!