“Deserves its Four Diamond Rating”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Geneva on the Lake

Geneva on the Lake
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
New Haven, Connecticut
“Deserves its Four Diamond Rating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed at Geneva on the Lake with my parents over the weekend and was impressed the minute I walked in the door. We enjoyed a nice lunch on the veranda outside under clear blue skies with terrific service and delicious food. The two bedroom/ two bath suite was well appointed and spacious. I enjoyed the keurig coffee and chilled bottles of water in the fridge.
The grounds are spectacular and there were families playing volleyball and enjoying the pool throughout the afternoon.
All in all a wonderful stay and I hope to be back soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at Geneva on the Lake for Memorial Day weekend and we were also celebrating our wedding anniversary while we were there. I wasn't quite sure what to expect since all of the photos of the resort seemed dated. The hotel was very nice though. The grounds were beautiful and our suite was very nice as well. We did notice some mentions beforehand on Trip Advisor of the suites being dated, which they slightly are; however, our suite was very clean and everything is in good condition. The traditional style reminded me of my grandmother's house, I thought it was cozy, and the perfect place to stay for the weekend. The location was also great as it is so close to town and right on the lake. We enjoyed sitting on the dock every afternoon and enjoying a glass of wine there.

While we stayed there on a holiday weekend, it was still fairly quiet around the resort and area, which we liked. There was a wedding and reception on-site one of the evenings, and I was a little nervous it would interrupt our stay; however, it did not seem to at all.

The staff was all very nice and accommodating.

Breakfast on one of the mornings we were there did seem slightly understaffed and chaotic, but maybe that was because all of the guests seemed to be eating at the same time. In order to beat the breakfast crowd the next morning we tried to get up extra early, only to find that breakfast isn't served till 8:30 on weekdays, which seemed kind of late to us. The food was very good though. We did not dine there for dinner, but had heard from other guests that it was one of the best meals they had.

Overall it was a low-key relaxing weekend at a beautiful resort. We would definitely return to Geneva on the Lake.

Kingston, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Finding a room during graduation is extremely difficult. We were able to book this one a year in advance. I read many mixed reviews on this site and was slightly worried, particularly with how much we were spending. The room was beautiful. It was a suite (I believe they all are, plus villas). It even included a kitchenette with a complimentary bottle of wine. The only problem was that they were understaffed. Everyone was doing multiple jobs. When we asked for an extra blanket the front desk person brought it. When we ordered drinks by the outdoor fire the hostess took the order. On our last day the breakfast which was included was terrible. The dining room was full with only two servers. It was a buffet. They ran out of plates, the eggs were burnt, and the apple juice had turned. We left a lovely weekend on a bad note.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, so if you have difficulty walking be sure to request a ground floor room.
1 Thank PamandSam
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Geneva on the Lake. The property retains the atmosphere of a country estate where guests are welcomed and made to feel completely at home. We liked our spacious suite as well as other features of the hotel such as the parlour where guests can drop in for coffee, chess, reading, or conversation. Our dinner to celebrate my husband's birthday was excellent, as was the Mother's Day buffet brunch the following day. The dining room is particularly gracious with linen covered tables carefully placed to make the most of the views of the lake, and the service is courteous and knowledgeable. And of course, there's the garden with its views over Seneca Lake - wonderful! We plan to return, soon.

Southwick, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is a must visit while in the finger lakes. It was romantic, great bed linens, comfortable and we had dinner in the dining room that was outstanding. Our package included breakfast and dinner. The only thing you will pay for is drinks and taxes and tips. Beautiful view of the lake from or room and dining room

Room Tip: There is no spa, but there is an outside pool that was not open when we were there
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

A recent trip to the Finger Lakes with my sister and retired parents was absolutely top shelf. A five star dining experience and a wonderful property that has everything to offer in a beautiful, private setting. A manor-like feel, not a sterile hotel, with an ease of accommodation for all. I chose the groundfloor townhouse suite while traveling with my elder but young at heart parents which was perfect. We were all together, not cramped, enjoyed full days of scenic culture, a gourmet dinner and piano player in their lovely dining room. We retired with a game of family scrabble and glass of wine while my Mom could enjoying her ritual of evening tea and reading comfortably. The front desk, hotel and restaurant staff is so friendly and welcoming. Better than the Four Seasons (where I recently stayed in Bora Bora). I even left my laptop in the room and they mailed it back to me, no problem! I highly recommend this place and will return for a romantic, wine country weekend on my next stay.

Room Tip: Towhouse suite was perfect for me and my parents. Would choose a romantic suite and lakeview as a c...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank dawn d
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We returned as our last visit was 1988! Food was excellent , soups very different, salads again very different, I raised lamb so know good lamb which this was ... and the rest of the meal was the same. We had a LIVE harpist the waitress was very good but not in your face. We sat by the window and a deer sauntered by about 100 feet away. The breakfast was over the top a frittatta a perfect croissant HOT, perfect fruit with great yoghurt my wife had 3 huge pieces of thick sliced french toast with local maple syrup> The manager was very gracious and was genuinely interested in how everthing was. It really is a very relaxing first class experience. The bell boy has been there 9 years. Everyone is trying to outdo the other person to try and make your stay the best. I would say it is the best experience we have ever had!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends