“Decent Enough Place to Stay”

Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glen Cove
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed one night (Saturday) after a wedding at another venue. The building itself, from the outside, is beautiful...very grand and 'Gold Coast'. The inside isn't as impressive, but it's fine. We stayed in room 210. It was a pretty long walk from the lobby, but we only had overnight bags, so it was fine.

The room was nice. Nothing special, but clean and comfortable. Our room was not cleaned while we were out, so no new towels (we had showered before we left for the evening, and fresh towels would've been nice for the morning). I'm sure if we had asked, though, the staff would've given us new ones.

Overall, we were satisfied with our stay!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank KandBCip2011

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stayed 3 nights for a winter weekend family wedding.
After reading some of the negative reviews, our experience was much better than expected.
The wedding reception and its food and service was excellent.
The guest rooms were clean and reasonably priced.
We only experienced a couple of negatives:
-the room wall heater was noisy and cycled frequently resulting in poor sleep quality.
-the room card keys stopped working for us and some other guests and had to be reset. It's a long walk from rooms to the reception desk.
-breakfast and lunch were limited to full buffets and no food or beverages are available in the afternoons.
Overall, Glen Cove provided a wonderful setting for a memorable wedding.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2014

With reservations in hand for a local restaurant, I decided it would be a nice idea to stay over in the area of Locust Valley. Since our Anniversary was Friday, the Dinner Saturday was to celebrate that event. Looking over my choices for the area under "Inns", There really wasn't anything listed, so I tried searching "Hotels". I didn't want to stay at a franchised Hotel, I wanted something a little more quaint or rustic. Up popped the Glen Cove Mansion as the first choice. However, Reviews for the Hotel either said "Great, We'll be back!" or "Dated", "Needs to be updated", or "You don't stay in the Mansion, but in the hotel attached". So What!?!

Since the hotel is only an hour from my house, I had the unusual opportunity to drive over and check it out for myself. And No, unlike my Brother-in-laws comment, I wouldn't have done this if it were located in Manhattan or White Plains!

Let me just say, as you drive onto the property, the first thing to catch your eye is the size of the Mansion. Very Impressive. What? You can't sleep "in" the Mansion? Who cares! But still, very impressive. Now, of course this was February in one of the worst winters we've ever had, so there was snow everywhere, but still, I'll say it a third time, very impressive. And to think, this was someone's dowry??

The Positives? Let's start with the Staff at the front Desk. I'll mention Jay, because he's tireless at making sure you have all you need. The room, A deluxe King facing the back of the Property, was a nice size, with a desk (Free Wi-Fi cable), Fold-out Couch, chair, and hideaway TV cupboard with a large flat screen and free cable/HBO. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was large enough to move around. I'm very jealous of the shower, I wish my home shower had this much pressure.

Are the rooms dated? Well, if your plan is to go and review the furniture, then yes, it's a little "dated" and "Run Down (a bit)". but then again, we're talking a Mansion from the early 1900's, so the rooms shouldn't be ultra modern, they should make you feel like you are staying in a room in the Mansion. Now, for the rest of us who go to a hotel to have a place to stay.... It was clean. There were NO smells. You couldn't hear the conversation in the next room, and, most importantly, we were very comfortable. In fact, if I had to list the problems with the room, they would be to say that the heat continuously turns on and off in a 90 second rotation. The door to the room needs a sweep at the bottom to block the light from the hallway at night (A towel works just as well) and I noticed (in the morning) that the window had a draft. But I didn't feel that unless my hand was right against it. And that was it.

We unfortunately did not venture upstairs to the pub, and didn't realize they served some pretty nice sounding deserts until the next morning, when I read about them in the Hotel info book in the room. We also didn't go for the $16.99 continental breakfast because we felt that was a little expensive and wound up travelling to Huntington to have Breakfast at "Toast & Company".

Check out was a breeze.

We really loved our stay. The price was fairly inexpensive and you got your moneys worth. We're already discussing the idea of returning in the warmer months to check out the 55 acres of grounds and maybe stroll down to the beach.

Thanks Jay.

Room Tip: Check out where the Indoor Pool, exercise room, and racketball court are, and ask to be located a li...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Augustus004
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Went for a meeting. Food good and staff helpful. Conference center amenities good. Attractive grounds. Downside is rooms are far from Reception and parking. Would recommend office to have another meeting here.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The hotel was top notch with a lot of amenities. The front desk was great and the room was comfortable and spacious. The only reason it did not get a top rating was the food service.
I know it is off season - and the hotel was empty - but it was Christmastime. Both dining rooms were closed (although for some reason they had the fireplaces going which made us think they were open. We were directed to a top floor lounge which was comfortable but the menu was very limited and no fireplace - the food of poor quality and the staff indifferent. We had to approach them for menu's - to order - to get a check - not once did they initiate contact - we were completely ignored even though we were the only diner - husband said his burger was OK - my salad with chicken was of very poor quality and the dressing wasn't served in a container that was easy to get it out of - therefore I got a lot of oil but no vinegar - I finally just ate it - gave up. Needless to say we didn't trust them with breakfast.

Room Tip: while the map showed the hotel to be near the cove - it could not be seen from any room. Appears to...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelingtoschool
Reviewed 14 December 2013

The estate is impressive, huge and you can easily get lost. Rooms are tidy and after a few chats with my housekeeper taking very good care of my room I was really impressed by her sense of duty and work attitude.

Check in and out was swift and the front desk competent, fast and friendly. Nothing to criticize with the food. Whatever your diet may be, they got it and are happy to help. The conference activities were very well supported, the snack bar outside the meeting rooms is complete and delicious.
Fitness amenities are good- with the excellent food you'll need to do some workout with tennis, squash, a small gym (open 24/7), an indoor and an outdoor pool. But why do they charge their guests over 2 USD for half a liter of normal drinking water?? During my stay, the steam bath didn't work and the hot jacuzzi near the indoor pool was actually freezing cold (without warning sign). The indoor pool water smelled and tasted a lot of some chemical cocktail - but that might have been bad timing to swim.

Generally a top-location for even large conferences, good service with very few flaws. Definitely coming back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I was a little skeptical after reading the reviews but we are pleasantly surprised. Yes, it is a little old, but the rooms are fine. This place has fireplaces and a cozy feeling. Paul is a great bartender at Pub 1910. The band on Friday night is very good.Racquetball court,fitness center,pool,and pool tables...ping pong. There are some buildings not attached and I wouldn't want to be there as it is snowing! We had booked and then a groupon came up...we got champagne, free breakfast,free drinks,chocolate covered strawberries...but all in all it was fine.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Oheka Castle
Oheka Castle
#1 of 3 in Huntington
Best Western Woodbury Inn

Been to Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center? Share your experiences!