“Beautiful facade but not so nice inside”

Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glen Cove
Reviewed 14 August 2014

As you drive up to the Mansion the façade is impressive, beautiful columns and gardens. makes you expect a room with some old flavor and elegance. Not so much. The rooms are located in "newer" buildings in the back of the mansion. It a bit disappointing that they did not make an effort to match the grand architecture of the mansion. The rooms are nothing to write home about but
the outdoor pool is very nice.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DMGGWoodlandstx
Write a ReviewReviews (1,261)

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The accommodations are definitely subpar, considering the price. They also have a weird policy that people booking weddings or other celebratory events should bear in mind, namely, they don't allow liquor to be served anywhere on the premises except in the bar and restaurant--and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt about the restaurant. I don't actually know that they do sell wine, beer, or whatever there. If you're looking for a venue for a party, you should make sure you know the rules before booking the Mansion. They don't publicize the no-liquor policy, but they do enforce it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BorgoBear
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 2 days for a wedding. The overall maintenance of the hotel is poor. Needs new doors, painting and carpeting on entire property. All bedrooms need a serious updating. There are no refrigerators and rooms smell old and with mildew. No shower caps and additional amenities are available.
The concierge staff needs some training to improve cordiality. Breakfast area staff were somewhat friendly and food of poor to average quality.
I would not recommend this hotel for any event until they improve service, update the hotel.

Room Tip: Do NOT choose this hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Places2Bseen
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Most all of the staff were absolutely excellent. They were friendly, accommodating, funny, and super helpful. The food options were delicious. I loved the scrambled eggs/omelet to order station. The grounds were immaculate. The rooms were just okay. The beds were slightly hard, but not so hard i couldn't sleep well. The layout is a little funky and depending on where you are staying it is easy to get turned around. They could use more elevators to make it ada accessible...not that I particularly needed it. Just would be nice for others. Snack bars were absolutely divine. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

Downside: The pub. Random space on the top floor. The staff there were incredibly rude and mean. We were sitting eating our food and having a drink and they came and said they were closed. We said okay, what time do you close. The guy shrugged his shoulders and walked away. Since it was only 10:44 I assumed they closed at 11:00pm. A bit early for my taste but okay. About two minutes later as we are trying to scarf down our food to be out by 11pm, a super burley, extra large man comes and says we're closed time to go. I asked him what time do you close? He says when we want. Oh oh really. I've never felt more unwanted or that my money had been disrespected before in my life.

This was not the only time they were rude to us in the pub. It happened the second time we tried to go there as well. I decided not to go any more.

Lastly, they could use a bit better coffee or to allow you to bring Starbucks in.

Room Tip: The rooms for 100 were great. I was in 115. It was a lovely view, large room, and very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Bethtina W
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My name is Carla! I am sharing the whole experince please read you will be blow away!

I booked my stay online Sunday night for Wednesday July 30 checking out Thurday July 31 2014...I booked it as a gift to my boyfriend Mike for his 40th birthday.

My First contact started went I sent and email on monday at 11:40pm requesting to add on addmenities, of champagne and strawberrys(75.00), cheese and fruit plate (20.00). and a potentional purchasing a 50.00 certficate to te 1910 pub. along with an inquiry about receiving masages. I express in the email the reason for my stay and I welcomed any other suggestion they may have to insure Mike, who is a great man would have an OUTSTANDING experiecnce. With in 20 min I recieved a response back from Matt Todd expressing to me that my request has been honored and they the hotel will provide me the 50 gift certificate for dinner. Also, included in my response abouth massges was Bill Ferro phone number for the Massage along with the hours time for the therapist 8am 8pm , unaware arrival time I was un able to give 24 hours notice, as requested, concluding in my response email Matt Todd said I believe you have gone to every length to make this as special as possible, In all honesty I cant think of anything else that can be offered maket look more special than it looks like it will be... After reading that email my standards and expection were set even higher, Very Very High..
Tuesday night late afternoon evening I called Bill Ferro who was very kind and I told him I was looking for two 30 min massage for wedensay night and a couples massage for thursday morning starting at 7am he expressed to me the start times and asked to call me back, he had to inquire with his therapist. he called back with the hour I receive a Yes to my request! Another good sign!!! it keeps getting better!!!!

Now for the stay.......
I arrive to the Glen Clove Mansion at 430pm wednesday upon appoaching the Masion I am greeted by a man named Ricky who was very polite with a nice smile. I continue in side to reception I am greeted my a man Jay who checkes me in of which was also very nice, very professional. I let him know that I was having a cake delievered at 7pm from Dorotoni of Levittown, that I would like to have it out in the garden, for it is my boyfriends birthday. Jay informs me there are a few confrences going on it may not be possible but he will looking into it an see what he can do, in the mean time he calls the head of the Food Serveses Department and Candices responds immeditly introducing her self, with warm friendly smile and said I will take care of anything you need. This all occurs at 4:30pm july 30, It is an hour later the limo arrives to drop off Mike, I walking in to the reception area to check back in with my request with Jay is not there at the moment however Matt Todd is who I corresponded with thru email, I tell Matt Todd about my earlier inquiry he pages Candice and Comfirms that we will have the cake brought out to us in the Garden (he welcomes Mike with a warm freindly hello and handshake wishing a Happy Birthday). I tell them both my plan what exactly I would like following the massges we would like to have the cake than head up to dinner. Candice the head of Food Services give to me her pager number so that I may contact her directly and so all my needs would be met. Now It is 530 right on time Mike is heading to is first time ever Massage with Ahatay, than I go after...She is Awesom great personiality, she has a consutltaion, lets Mike and I know what can be expected and Deliveres beyond!!!!!! While I am waiting go back to reception and ask a blond girl to give whom ever delievers the cake this money I hand it to her and she takes responsiblity and does it I called Dorotoni's to confirm.. Now, it is 730 we are heading to Candice. when I see her, I ask her if the pool area would better or the garden. she checkes the time and replys the pool is closed now sorry, but the garden is beautiful at this time it will not be busy with guest. Candice met us with the cake and two glasses of champange and lady from the wait staff joined in and sang happy birthday to Mike... We did not ask for Champange it was done by Candice... and she was right we enjoyed cake for an hour in the garden.. and than little by little just as we were done people started showing up. from her lips to god ears! PERFECT!!! Now we meet Candice with our cake and she repacks it for us and stores it in the kitchen for the next day so we could take it with us.. We now head up to the 1910 Pub were Jacob greets us and say I think this table reserved it for you I will just confirm, of which he does and seats us at table lite with a candle and linen.. Candice send over drinks of our choice, and dinner is great Jabcob and the man he working with him were awesome very attentive! Dinner at the Pub was Fabulous!!!!! We head up to the room not one min goes by that we are in the room and the door rings, it's room service with Champagne Chocolate covered Strawberrys and Fruit Plate.. Fresh and Sweet Beautiful!!!!!!

Now it is the Next morning we are greeted my Bill Ferro owner of Desert Rose Massage and creator of cloud 9 water massage,( next time I will get a water massage) and Judy.. BILL was my terapist and Judy was Mikes. I told them of my herniation of othe my neck and lower back and fracture I sustained on my ankel, collar and sternum, I recieve more of a sports med massge which was extraordinary and Judy gave Mike a massage the put it out to the point of snoring.. Mission accomplished.. Ahataya set a high standard the night before with an beautiful highly relaxing other deminsion massage, and Bill and Judy match her level of service and HI STANDARD. Truly Bill's employees are passionate like he is and are a true mirror of is Passion, Knowlege, and Talent. Thank you Bill and Team!!!!!

Now , we head down to the dinning room were we are greeted at the Dinning Room Entrance by Shinniquea (not sure of spelling) with a Great energizied smile, she introduces her self ask my room number and say "oh Carla we have a cake for you in the back let me know when your ready to check out and I will get it for you" and wished Mike a Happy birthday!. She escort us over to the table were a memeber of the wait staff walks over right away and greets us, having Oj and Water poured by the time we sit down after observing the buffet and choosing food. Breakfast was very very good cooked to prefection. Nothing was dry! We completed breakfast and walked back up to the room 342 and the cleaning staff was out. I looked in to watch a lady througly cleaning the glass coffee table both the surface and underneath. This lady cleaned this room Like she was Cleaning her house the passion and muscle was Outstanding and made me feel really good she was paying attention to every detail LOVED it!!!! I think she was clean 341 it was close my room. I had glanced into another room as I was approching my room and witness a lady an man also doing a fine job that is what made me stop as I walked futher and saw another cleaning lady. The care was GREAT!
Now we head down to check out and we are greeted still wonderfully as if we just arrived. (This is how it should be Always!) I walked over to the dinning room and am greeted by the wait staff and tell the lady I m gettting a cake, she say oh yes right a way and someones closer to kitchen door stops what he is doing gets the cake and hand it to his co worker. Then all say happy birtday to your friend I hope it was great.. With a smile...

Conclusion!!! My Expections were Exceeded above and beyond any thing I could imagine on every Level imagineable From cleanliness, organzation, the first contact thru email to my arrival to the end of my stay... They operated like a Fine Time Peice. Flowing perfectly together like the river meeting the ocean.. Consistancey is Key and from start to finish there was nothing but Great Consistance behavior and follow through the right hand knew what the left was doing at all times! I would stay here again and I would also have my wedding here, or a convention. I also observed how they handle and set up for meetings and conventions Again GREAT!!!! The staff pays attenion to fine detail... I am a detailed person, because I am High End Hair Stylist catering to elite clients.. This is my first time at the Mansion and I have never done work with them! I am based out of NYC

Here is just a side note I will tell you. It is natural for people to mirror your energy if you the guest are up tight and unfriendly you will recieve the energy you put out there this is Universal Law.Law of attraction! treat other like you wish tobe treat and the universe will responed as such and better.

Mike had the Most perfect 40th one could ever dream. I could not have pulled this off with out the professionalism, generosity, consistant great engergy, kindess of the staff!!! This is an unforgetable experience from start to finish! You Guys All Rocked! and made me beyond happy it is with great pleasure I writh the review.

Aloha from my heart to yours;
Carla Gitto

Room Tip: I was is 342 near the fitness area and enjoyed the space very much as we are active people.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I attended a wedding here and while I must say the outside grounds are beautiful, the inside has a lot to be desired.

First of all, the minute you walk in, a musty smell whacks you in the face..yukk. It was old and dated looking and the smell was really horrible.

The cocktail hour room is ok but not nearly enough seats for the guests. I couldn't sit down the entire hour along with about 75 other people...to me that is a major FAIL...how are you supposed to stand, have a plate in your hand, eat, pick off the passed hot d'oeuvres plates etc?? The answer is you can't? You just stand there, uncomfortable wondering how this place stays in business.

The dining room is really really small, the dance floor is extremely tiny and the food...well the food is dry, non-appetizing and not presented well. Maybe I had my hopes up too high but I just don't get it. I think they fall short because they know they can. They are one of the few venues with a hotel on premise which makes people want to book them for convenience and price.

Take my advice here, as someone who was married within the last year, have your wedding somewhere else and book a nice hotel...this place is terrible and you will be disappointed that you paid good money for this place. The only plus here is the staff, they were really very nice and helpful and attentive, unfortunately the management and food service needs an overhaul if they think their standards are acceptable.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Doll F
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I booked Glen Cove due to a deal on hotels.com which seemed very reasonable for the amenities and location. Me and my boyfriend decided to take a weekend trip away and the town of Glen Cove is conveniently located for us to travel in from Brooklyn via the LIRR.
The mansion is located close by to Glen Cove station which is very convenient if you need to take a taxi (prices are around $8-12 from the station to the mansion but often people are encouraged to share a ride).

Once we arrived at the hotel we were checked in very quickly - staff were helpful. Our room was large and very clean - tea & coffee available and large plasma TV with many channels. Bed was comfy.

The best part of the hotel was the outdoor pool - really great place to unwind in the evening. You are surrounded by picturesque gardens with hydrangeas surrounding the pool area. There's lounger chairs and dining chairs with umbrellas around the pool and free towels. I also saw area for ordering food but it wasn't available at the time we stayed.

In the evening me and my boyfriend decided to have dinner at Pub 1910 which is located on the top floor. Drinks were reasonably priced but the food was a little tasteless. I feel like the evening menus need a little improvement. However, since the hotel is so close to the town I would recommend visiting the local eats - Page 101 and American Cafe.

Breakfast is buffet style and was served in the garden dining room which is a really great space to sit and relax in the morning. Food quality was impressive offering many choices for everyone and the table service is very quick. Highly recommended!

Highly recommended couples but I did see a lot of families enjoying the space too. It wasn't too crowded (which I expected). Perfect place to go to unwind. I wish I'd have stayed a bit longer!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Port Washington
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#1 of 4 in Garden City

Been to Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center? Share your experiences!