“Great view, not so great room”

Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glen Cove
Reviewed 29 June 2009

We stayed at Glen Clove Manor for one of the many weddings that take place there. The location, and grounds, is gorgeous. The exterior of the mansion, and the amenities are nice for a hotel. It has a pub, with pool tables and shuffle boards, open to the wee hours on the top floor, a bowling alley, and pools.

However, the area people stay in is not the mansion. An annex built in the 60's juts out behind the mansion. Obviously not remodeled in a long time, the rooms are a bit drab. When the air conditioning is not on, it wreaks of mold. With the number of weddings that go on at the place, you know they are making a killing financially, but you wonder if they were putting it back in the place. The people working there were nice enough, but it still would have nice for things to be fixed. Our tub drain needed to be cleaned and despite the phone call and another conversation with the front desk, it was not fixed, and the water would quickly go up to mid-shin. I am not sure if there are other places in Glen Cove. If there were, I might check it out before staying at the Mansion.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 June 2009

Although the grounds are lovely and the mansion itself is grand, the hallways and our room were dreary and uninviting. The rooms are all housed in outbuilding that are a walk of several minutes from the mansion. After crossing a lovely patio, we were disappointed to find a uninspiring, dark hallway that led to our room several steps below grade. The room itself was fine, although the view from the first floor window was of the parking lot. Upon entering the room for the first time, I checked out the bathroom and was shocked to find the bathroom sink covered with dirt and silt (see photo). We changed quickly for our event, but stopped by the front desk to request additional towels (they provided only 2 for 2 people) and to ask that the bathroom be cleaned. While the front desk clerk was shocked by the photo of the filthy sink that I showed her, the manager looked over her shoulder and scoffed, disbelievingly, "It was like that when you checked in?" I assured him that it was, but apparently this was of no concern. When we returned to our room 6 hours later, the towels were there - and so was the filth in the sink (see second photo). When we checked out this morning, they didn't even ask whether we'd enjoyed our stay.

Side note - the pub was enjoyable, with a good bartender and beverage selection.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Wanted to tour the Gold Coast so decided to stay in a mansion and in the area. At $159, it is a good price, but the place isn't that great, so don't expect a lot. It is a standard hotel room, and the rooms are very spread out. We walked pretty far from the mansion to get to our room (no rooms are actually in the mansion).

The masion is neat in its novelty, but is run-down and needs to be rehab'd properly. Staff could be seen in break areas, garbage dumpsters could be seen from the front, etc... they need to tighten up their act if they want to actually execute the image they portray on their website.

Staff was all right, but not perfectly professional. We also got some bad info on local attractions which wasted some of our precious vacation time. Seems like they're perfectly suited for a conference or meetings, but not individual travelers.

Nice proximity to NYC via the LI railway, so that was the nice part of our trip.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2009

stayed feb 14 ,15 every thing was perfect from when we checked in and checked out .rooms were nice and clean ,beds and linens were just right. dont believe the [-] about being dirty rooms,tv with acouple channels. all the staff was polite always saying hello .we travel alot and always stay in high end hotels this place is not the ritz carlton but not far behind it .thanks for a great weekend. can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 11 January 2009

We stayed at Glen Cove mansion for a wedding and had a great experience. Our room was large, had an extremely comfortable king-sized bed with nice bed linens, was very clean, and we heard no noise from the hallways or stairwell. I'm surprised at some of the other reviews of Glen Cove, because our experience here was great. It is a conference center and has several different, adjoining buildings...perhaps some parts are nicer than others? Our room was on the second floor near the fitness center.

The mansion itself is very beautiful and a fantastic wedding venue.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ekeat
Reviewed 18 December 2008

my room smelled like smoke. when i went to bed at night i noticed hair in my sheets. the hair was blonde i have brown hair .dirty sheets .

• Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed 7 December 2008

I returned today from the Glen Coven Mansion after staying for two days. Before going there I had read the reviews here which were generally negative. To be honest, after reading the review, I was not that excited about going, but since we won the 2 days in a raffle, I figured I didn't have much to lose. I expected to write a negative review.

Now, after spending two days I can tell you that I would have paid to go. Here is why:

The mansion is very attractive, including both the grounds and the facility itself.

The staff are all very courteous, friendly, and helpful. I mean EVERYONE from the parking attendant to the front desk to the guy who sits at the pool, to the wait staff, to the bartender in the pub.

The breakfast food (buffet) was very good. I did not eat lunch or dinner there.

The room was very nice.

The pools were great.

Everything was clean and in great repair - as you would expect from a good place.

While I believe the people who wrote other reviews, I really had a different experience and I believe I did not just get lucky. Too many things went right to get lucky Maybe they are making changes, I don't know, but I certainly recommend this place. I would go back myself (paying) but for the fact that I have family that lives close by. But who knows, I enjoyed myself enough that I might do it anyway.

Just so you know the kinds of places I enjoy, I have visited Mohonk House (terrific), Banyan Tree (Thailand - also terrific), and I have stayed in top hotels throughout the U.S. (Ritz Carlton, 4 Seasons, Hyatt,...)

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Cove
#1 of 1 in Port Washington
The Roslyn Hotel
The Roslyn Hotel
#2 of 3 in Roslyn

Been to Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center? Share your experiences!