“Pity the service fails to match the views”
Review of Desroches Island

Desroches Island
Warwickshire, UK
“Pity the service fails to match the views”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Although we have returned home tired and disappointed following our holiday, we have attempted a balanced review, as the island itself absolutely lived up to and exceeded our expectations.

Room
Beach suite: Small for this price bracket – just enough room to walk around the bed, 2 seater settee & a wicker chair. Large console table that serves as dressing table (no drawers). Hanging space (with just 4 hangers each on arrival – housekeeping brought us more on 2nd request), shelving + small safe (not large enough to take full-size laptop). Separate toilet & basin to one side, bathroom with 2 basins to the other side. Outside bath & shower. Dressing gowns & bamboo flipflop slippers, hairdryer in room. Plenty of hot water whenever needed. Effective aircon & a (noisy) dehumidifier. Stocked minibar/fridge (included in AI) with kettle/cafitiere. Red wine was an acceptable Chilean merlot.

Outside: covered verandah with table & chairs, day bed. Garden and sunbeds overlooking beach – need to pull them to the edge to see the sand/waves breaking!

Issues:
The rooms are west facing which is fab for sunset! The toilet, front door & bathroom are east facing & inexplicably for any hotel, but particularly in this class - have NO BLINDS!!! Guaranteed sunrise awakening every day. Added to this, the tin roof spends half the night noisily contracting as it cools down, than creaking and cracking as it expands following sunrise. Most nights I was additionally awoken by crashing coconuts/branches falling – thought the roof was falling down the first time this happened!! Very, very poor design & not something that is easily changeable…

When, at the start of our 2nd week, we realised that other rooms DID have blinds, we asked our guest relations manager to be moved – instead she sellotaped tin foil to the glazed front door and had Maintenance tack a nasty piece of blackout curtain to the wicker screen between the bedroom and bathroom, that also let sun through from first light. THE most ugliness I have ever seen in any hotel room, anywhere in the world (see photos). This absolutely beggars belief, given that the hotel was almost empty – I would not expect this from a grotty English 3* B&B, and is entirely unacceptable in this class of hotel. My heart sank every time I entered the room from this point onwards – beyond disappointed. See below for further comments about the standard of service.

I dropped my jewellery roll at one point, so we took the cushions off the sofa to check for missing earrings etc – it clearly hadn’t been cleaned for some time, but I found a found a nice black sparkly hair clip (from a previous occupant)!!! The floor underneath the sofa was also absolutely filthy. See below for comments about the hotel's cleanliness elsewhere.

Island
Very much geared up around large family/friend groups for fishing/diving. As a couple who don’t dive or fish, we were quite happy sun/shade-bathing, snorkelling and exploring the island on our bicycles. But very much the odd ones out!

Beaches: Picture postcard/Hollywood set perfect, pristine, unspoiled. The beach disappeared under seaweed for a few days following a couple of very high tides, but returned towards the end of our stay. Had each beach to ourselves most days, depending where we went.
Snorkelling: Saw lots of angelfish, butterfly fish, sergeant major fish, goatfish, parrot fish, a huge moray eel, an eagle ray – and a passing Hawksbill turtle, about a metre away!!! The coral's quite bleached, sadly, and the snorkelling generally doesn’t compare with the Maldives or Red Sea tho’.

The hotel was quite empty during our 1st week & it lacked any atmosphere. We were the only couple in the bar for sundowners before dinner one night, and the last to leave at 10pm another evening… Only when a few more people arrived during out 2nd week was there e.g. music in the bar. Earth Hour was truly memorable – sooo atmospheric with all the staff joining guests to light candles. The astonishing stars were even more amazing than usual!

Mosquitoes, gnats and ants all seemed fairly immune to 50% deet, and unusually, we both got bitten, so the only option really is to cover up, especially in the evening for dinner on the beach. The doors and windows to the room are ill-fitting, so creatures have free access to the room – we even got bitten under the mosquito net in bed! The bites disappeared in a couple of days.

The wildlife on the beach were the main source of entertainment – sparring land crabs digging their holes, slow hermits in the evening, the birds on the beach at lunchtime hopeful of some bread (although guests are asked not to feed them).

Guided nature walk: the absolute high point of our holiday was a morning with resident conservationists Pep and Ella exploring the wildlife on a personal tour. Got to feed a 100 year old wild tortoise, see another in a waterhole, saw turtle nesting sites, learnt about indigenous trees. And sponsored a juvenile tortoise for a year (altho’ absolutely no pressure was applied to do this)!! They have great plans for the future and I wish them absolutely every success – the island is already a better place for their presence upon it and I hope it continues to flourish under their direction.

Spa: Superb – the ‘Muscle Melt’ with JoAnna is one of the best massages I have had anywhere!!

Dress code: Casual – covered beachwear, shorts/vests flip-flops or bare feet for breakfast/lunch; for dinner: anything from shorts & T-shirts to long sleeved shirts & linen trousers, maxi/mini dresses; again, footwear optional.

Breakfast buffet – super choice of cereal, fresh whole & prepared fruit, breads, cold cuts & cheeses, yogurts, pastries. Hot selection varied daily – overcooked bacon most days, chicken sausages, sometimes grilled tomatoes or garlic mushrooms. Egg chef & pancake/waffle station. Speciality chef every morning, preparing anything from potato waffles, quiches, to detox smoothies, Seychellois tasters – loved the octopus curry bagel!!

Issue – daily fight with persistent flies landing on food/cutlery. Didn’t at any point in 2 weeks see the tables being wiped with disinfectant/cloth, despite presence of flies and birds on all the tables.

Lunch/dinner: Quality is superb, at the expense of quantity (I'm 8 1/2 stone and don't overeat)… I had to ‘top up’ with peanuts before going to bed one night, as I didn’t want chocolate dessert. And some odd combinations (absolutely delicious battered fish -4 small pieces – with a small bowl of fries, small bowl of creamy mash – maybe a heaped tablespoon full? - in a gorgeous red wine & onion gravy) but no veg !!! Another night I asked for an extra portion of steamed veg as the main again didn’t come with any at all - I got about 2 or 3 pieces of carrot & 1 asparagus spear, beautifully cooked, but all drenched in oil or butter.

The guest relations managers mean well but ours was largely ineffective; failing entirely to resolve the issue with our room to our satisfaction. We saw her every day during the second week, stressing that I still wasn’t happy/sleeping, but no alternative accommodation/solution was offered.

During our 1st week, the restaurant manager and chefs came and check with everybody every night.

Food/drink service varied from highly efficient, to distinctly African; several times during lunch and dinner both our water glasses and wine glasses were empty for most of our meals as we order top-ups that didn’t arrive! During the manager’s cocktail party a barman and a waitress quite openly argued in front of us about who was going to go and fetch another bottle of sparkling wine – I wouldn’t expect that in a down market pub!!! On our last night the bar manager came across at 11pm to where we were sitting with another couple, and asked us if there was anything else we wanted before he closed. We asked him to leave the wine bottle for us – it had about 1 small glass left in it. He refused, saying he’d get his legs slapped. Completely staggering in a 5* AI hotel. We ordered a whole bottle, and he reluctantly agreed to leave us the old bottle (which was all we actually wanted). Should NOT have to have such a discussion over an entirely reasonable request.

We had to ring for minibar refill 3 times in a fortnight.

We were disturbed FOUR times by Housekeeping when we had ‘Do Not Disturb’ on the door handle – having ignored the last intrusion, we were then telephoned to be asked if we wanted turndown. This has happened to us only once elsewhere in the world, and we got dinner for free when we complained. Our guest relations manager just said she’d ask Housekeeping not to interrupt us again – entirely unacceptable and missing the point completely – the Housekeeping staff should be adequately trained to fully understand what ‘Do Not Disturb’ means.

We were twice telephoned when we were on our way down to meals, ½ an hour before the sitting closed!!! If, at any point, we had arrived late & expected food (as we saw others doing), perhaps this would have been understandable – we weren’t; nor would we. This felt like harassment – to add insult to injury, the service was painfully slow following one such phone call… an hour and a half for two courses.

The wifi service was available in the bar and reception areas – understandably slow!!! Issue – the floor mat/rug in Reception is absolutely filthy (see photo) and doesn’t appear to have been vacuumed for a very long time. We saw a vacuum cleaner being used in the bar, so the hotel does have one!

The humidity/heat wasn’t too bad in late March/early April, compared with other long haul destinations that we’ve visited at the same time of year.

The final insult: as we were starting our dessert at lunch on our last day, our guest relations manager came across and asked if anyone had told us that our flight time had changed? No. It had been moved forward half an hour and we needed to go to the airstrip NOW. So we didn’t finish our final meal, barely had time to say good bye to our friends; didn’t have time to say goodbye to the staff, and were absolutely furious!

Summary
We are a professional couple (I am a doctor and my husband is a senior design manager) who are well travelled (see my profile) and have been fortunate enough to stay in many 5* (and a 6*) hotels around the world. This holiday was a belated 15th wedding anniversary + my birthday, celebration; although the photos look amazing, we will remember it for all the wrong reasons. Quite simply, Desroches is by far the worst hotel for sleep quality AND consistently unacceptable customer service that we have ever stayed in, and we would not return.

Room Tip: The beach suites are nearest the pool/bar/restaurant, but avoid beach suite 115 - unless you appreci...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank AliHipRug

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Hungarian first
Yorkshire
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Returned to Desroches in March.... It was our 3rd holiday there and better than ever... The rooms are superb and filled with little extras that made it so special, lovely body lotions and shower gels, flowers and wine.. The island looks more beautiful than ever thanks to Monica..... manicured in places but still with the atmosphere of a tropical island. The beaches are second to none... and the sea was warm, turquoise and as clear as crystal, best swimming anywhere, and kayaking around the island was a wonderful experience. Desroches food is another experience... my husband said over and over that it was world class..and he should know !. how they do it on this tiny island miles and miles from anywhere is worth thinking about.... Magic, and this was every single meal we had during the 2 week stay... To finish , the staff made it for me... so helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble, they were charming and seemed so happy in their jobs... says a lot about the management...Thank you Carolin for looking after us so well. Loved our holiday...

Room Tip: They are all good rooms, depends if you want to be a bike ride away from the restaurant or close to...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank julia f
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I recently spent a week on Desroches Island and was hugely impressed with both the hotel and villa rental options on offer. From the delicious food to the incredible spa (complete with an ayurvedic specialist), the complimentary yoga and bikes - to the sumptuous beach suites and the pristine beaches - it's much more than just an island getaway. Great for families and although 6km in length, it feels big (and forested) enough to allow you to seek out your own piece of paradise away from hotel guests - if privacy is your preference. The different tiers of accommodation also cater to almost every preference. And if the popularity of the fishing trips is anything to go by - the fishing is excellent too. Thanks to all at Desroches for a wonderful holiday.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kerryn F
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The resort was excellent.

Its certainly worth upgrading to a Beach Retreat from a Suite. While the accommodation in the Suite was acceptable, the Beach Retreat compared very well with the best accommodation we have had in the tropics. I am often a bit sceptical about ‘all inclusive’ deals as, in my experience, the quality and generosity of the food and beverages often suffers. This was not the case at Desroches where the food was often very good and the offer of local beers, wines, spirits and soft drinks continuous!

As several reviewers have said, the most distinctive feature of Desroches is the quality and friendliness of the staff. In particular, we were full of praise for the way Desroches maintain a careful balance of attentiveness and service without constantly being ‘in your face’.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Peter R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My husband and I spent a week on Desroches during our honeymoon. It was simply amazing and we will definitely be coming back. We had a beach villa which was great. The beaches are amazing. Food was also good.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank annasuelle
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

To whom it may concern,

If I had to find fault in this holiday it would simply be that it is not close enough to the uk for regular enough visits!
The islands location is breathtaking, the staff unseen in the back ground but at graciously at hand whenever needed, the food was spot and accommodation was amazing (exactly as it looks on the web site, there are no nasty surprises there).
The island is great for quiet couples get away but I went with friends who have kids and we never ran out of things to do.
As a man who likes to be active i particularly enjoyed access to great sandy foot paths around the island (i did a half marathon that i won't forget quickly), tennis courts, multiple quality snorkelling reefs, user friendly bike rides and deep sea fishing (I caught my first yellow fin tuna which the kitchen turned into sushi at my request for free!).

Specials thanks to Freddie the “Master of Hospitality” & Patrick for running a top quality team.

Would I come again? The fact I have booked to come in July 2014 on my Honeymoon says it all.

Thanks so much

Mark

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank mark a
Mauritius
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The property is really exclusive - the 35 mins trip by plane from Mahe gives you the feeling that you are heading to 'another world'. However, having been to many 6 star hotels and resorts, I will definitely say that the team is too young and inexperienced. Beware, you may be 'chucked out' of the hotel at relatively short notice because management will unilaterally select your departing time on the next available plane. Don't rely on front office, in particular a young lady called Alison, to give you accurate information on your travelling time. My wife and I spent one night at the hotel, checking in at 4 pm, but were allocated seats for the 9am flight the next day despite being wrongly advised by Alison that there was one daily flight which departs at 3:45pm.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank EJKK
Patrick S, General Manager at Desroches Island, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear EJKK, Thank you for your feedback received via The Seychelles Tourism Board and observed on TripAdvisor. I hope you have received my personal response to you by mail. Please kindly be advised of the following.
1. Desroches has absolutely no control on the timing of the flights coming to and leaving the Island therefore we cannot be held responsible for your early departure.
2. Your stay was on a accommodation complimentary basis including all meals. Only extras such as beverages and a highly discounted flight were charged.
3. A one night stay at Desroches cannot do justice to the incredible experience that our guests have on the Island, including details such as our immaculate service, cuisine, activities and other services. Please peruse previous feedback on this forum reflecting our true standards.
4. I apologize profusely for the service and attitude of our member from our Welcome employee and as mentioned in my mail to you that this has been addressed.
Once again your feedback is appreciated and I look forward to a response to the mail sent.
Yours sincerely
Patrick

Been to Desroches Island? Share your experiences!