“Great romantic place to stay on La Digue”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Chateau St Cloud

Chateau St Cloud
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in La Digue Island
France
“Great romantic place to stay on La Digue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I stayed here with my partner for a couple of nights. I have been to La Digue quite a few times before but it was his first time on the island. I had heard about Chateau St Cloud as it was one of the only places that you used to be able to stay on La Digue along with La Digue Island Lodge. I understood from the staff that there had been an extensive refurbishment and it definitely feels this way. We had a villa on the hillside and I would definitely recommend this type of room - it is spacious with a separate bathroom (with bath tub) and a balcony to sit out on. To say that it is quite high up, it doesn't feel like there are too many steps to climb to get there but if you don't like steps then ask for a room by the pool.

The hotel is located about a 20 minute walk from the jetty and a 5/10 minute cycle away. It is not on a beach so you need to walk to the beach or cycle there but you can hire a bike easily from a place opposite the hotel and they just add it to your room bill. They have a pool, which looked great to relax by but as I was busy showing my other half the island, I did not have time to do this.

My only criticism of the hotel would be the food, which is just good-average but then Seychelles is not really a foodie destination. However I can say without a doubt that this is the best place I have stayed at on La Digue and it is really good value for money. The staff are really friendly and the service is excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms but if you want a great view, get a hillside villa.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

We really enjoyed our visit at this hotel. Our room was fantastic, great view, lovely pool and gardens. We toured the island by bikes provided by the hotel. Madame Myriam is very friendly and gave us very good recommendations, she arranged a boat excursion for us to go snorkeling around Cocos Island and Felicite which was fantastic. Definitely going back to La Digue and Chateau St Cloud.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

Paradise! The rooms are truly stunning. A 5* place without the 5* price tag. The nicest place I have ever stayed. The rooms are beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. The older style rooms are also being renovated to come in line with the newer rooms.
The staff are all so friendly, smiling and cheerful, and go the extra mile to make you feel at home.
The restaurant serves delicious local food, very varied and extremely reasonable in price. The presentation of the food is superb.
The grounds of the hotel are lovely. Very peaceful and with a stunning pool as a centre piece.
On a personal note, the manager Miriam went out of her way to extend her hospitality to me and make my experience on La Digue a memorable one.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank kathryn m
Malvern, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

This hotel is pricy (but then what hotels in the Seychelles aren't!?) but well worth it. The room was superb and the ambience so relaxing. The grounds are beautiful and bicycle hire is available directly opposite (check the brakes before hiring!!).
The food is excellent and well worth eating at the hotel for.
Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: Get one of the upper rooms.. Well worth the climb for the aspect.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Rosmalen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

Above expectation, beautiful room with luxurious bed- and bathroom. The hotel restaurant is also very good. Friendly employees and good service. The only hotel we stayed in with the minibar filled at arrival. Several beachches you kan reach on the bike in 5 to 10 minutes.
Overall the best hotel we stayed in during our island hopping holiday in the Seychelles.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

Our room had beautiful stained glass windows and was very spacious. The bathroom was huge and well appointed.

Room Tip: We were in the original building, close to the office, first floor.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

I recently stayed on La Digue in this place booked by my travel agent. I was travelling with my 80 year old Dad and I wanted the places we stayed to be clean, comfortable, and safe. We were travelling on a budget and I new I could not afford the most expensive place on the island. I read the reviews on Trip Adviser and I was worried that some reviews called it fantastic and some the worst. I didn't understand that. I called my travel agent and asked about the property. She said she had people stay there before and they had been very happy. Not to worry. Well I still worried. But I found Chateau St. Cloud to be lovely. The manager was attentive and helpful. She put my Dad and his girlfriend in a lovely room in the plantation manager. It's decorations and furnishings were top notch. My boyfriend and I stayed in a bungalow that was perfect. We couldn't have been happier. The bicycles for rent on the property are much cheaper than down by the pier. The Hotel was just far enough from downtown to be out of the bustle. The bike ride was not difficult. The gardens, the pool area and the restaurant have so many interesting and beautiful pieces of art that it can be a little overwhelming. If I had a recommendation for this property, it would be that they find a single theme in each area for their decorations. Just one more note. While I was near reception, I heard a couple check in for their 20th anniversary. I overheard the owner/manager say, "I know your have booked for a standard room, but I understand it is your anniversary. I have taken the liberty to upgrade you to a bungalow up on the hill with a view." I was soooo impressed. Please don't be worried about this property. It is obvious to me that the negative reviews were trying to sabotage this nice lodging inappropriately.

Room Tip: Either the rooms in the plantation or the bungalows were very very nice. The plantation rooms were...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,243 reviews
Le Duc de Praslin
Le Duc de Praslin
#4 of 12 in Anse Volbert

Been to Chateau St Cloud? Share your experiences!