“Good, comfortable stay... no "WOW" factor”
Review of Chateau St Cloud

Chateau St Cloud
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in La Digue Island
Bengaluru, India
“Good, comfortable stay... no "WOW" factor”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

La Digue was our second stop in Seychelles and true to our expectations, it looked like an oasis of peace and quiet. Chateau St.Cloud is an extension of the rest of the island where you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. The rooms were spotless and the restaurant was brilliant with a really high quality buffet. However, there is no "view" from the room as the one we had looked into the courtyard and given that the rates were fairly high (compared to other places we stayed in Seychelles), there was nothing that would make me want to come back and stay again. It is the kind of hotel, where you will be comfortable without being overly excited about staying

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nikz9169

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We recently stayed here, and it is a magical experience, totally charming.

The Evening Buffets are delicious and the Chef is fantastic.

Miriam the Owner is a delight, kind and willing to assist with any request. The pool area is perfect, and the rooms are large and spotless.

It is the perfect place to stay if you are visiting La Digue.

The staff are very helpful and the Island is too gorgeous for words.

Enjoy

Room Tip: Choose the New ones, next to the swimming pool
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank wayne020
New York/Salalah Oman
Reviewed 12 July 2012

My friend (Chinese) and I (American) just went to stay 2 days on La Digue and our fabulous Hotel on Mahe recommended this place, Chateau St. Cloud. It's a beautiful hotel, for sure; the garden is absolutely spectacular.
But I became very ill with acute appendicitis our first night there. My room was far and up high and it was difficult to reach the desk on the phone until 8 am (after 3 hours) but that's not the problem.
The problem is that no one at this hotel took the slightest interest. Meaning, they could not bother calling a cab to take me to the public clinic. Nor to the helicopter which flew us back to Mahe in the afternoon. They did not bother to book us a taxi at the heliport in Mahe (even though the doctor asked them to) because they "were sure there would be plenty of taxis there."

They also didn't bother to tell me that there was a private clinic I could have gone to.
The owner insisted that my illness was from the rough crossing we encountered the day before. Even when the clinic called back to order my evacuation to Mahe, the hotel staff couldn't be bothered to lift a finger. They just charged us for the full two days, of course, despite us being there less than one, and then had the huevos to shove the guest register at me to ask my opinion!

I wound up in Mahé Casualty Hospital (Victoria) emergency ward, also a disaster. The place was chaotic and the staff argued amongst themselves. The surgeon, who had been alerted by the helicopter of my arrival, didn't show up for half an hour and was obviously pissed off when she did, I assume because her evening was ruined. No one knew what anyone else was doing, and I had no confidence in the situation and said so and this escalated it. We left to try and make a immediate flight back to the Gulf, where I live, but the airline would not let me fly--a good choice as it turned out.

The next morning I went to the private clinic, Euro-something, and the Russian Doctor was great but told me I had to do the surgery at the same hospital! But the surgeons were great, and the surgical ward was much, much better than the emergency room. My appendix did in fact rupture.

So I was happy they didn't let me fly, and grateful to the operating and women's ward staff at Victoria Casualty Hospital, but really I have nothing good to say about that disinterested hotel or the late night emergency room.

Seems to me that if you own a hotel and one of your guests is very ill, with something that might be life-threatening, you might show a little concern.

Although the hospital undoubtedly saved my life, the stress of trying to get someone to take me seriously and help me when I was sick left a strong mark on my opinion of the Seychelles. My overall impression was that I could die from disinterest if not hostility. My friend was not helpful as her English is limited and she has no idea how to function when traveling, which is something I didn't realize. And it wasn't that important until I became sick.

But this hotel could have shown some interest, called me a car, made a phone call or two. That would have made a big difference.

Will not go back.

Oh, FYI, it's Thursday, July 12. My operation was July 7. I am so thrilled to be back in Oman

Room Tip: The "garden" rooms are pretty
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
12 Thank absolutetrygve
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We came to La Digue after a week on Mahe, and really appreciated the contrast. Everyone we met was laid back and pleasant. The hotel is well ordered, and the staff seem to really want you to have a good time. The place is an oasis of peace and calm in the middle of a stress-free island. The ladies in the restaurant kept breaking into giggles, and the management couldn't have been more helpful. The highlight of our stay was a boat trip to swim with turtles off Isle de Coco, courtesy of Cliff, who is the St Cloud boatman, and a nice bloke to boot.Some of the bikes have had a hard life, and could do with a bit of tlc, but that is the only criticism we had. Overall, this was the highlight of our trip to the Seychelles.

Room Tip: Our pool view apartment was excellent, but the steps up were steep, and there were a lot of them - b...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Brussels
Reviewed 13 April 2012

A beautiful hotel, very well located close to the small town and to the most beautiful beaches of La Digue. The owners and staff are very friendly and welcoming. We received a beautiful room for a very reasonable price. They organised a great snorkelling expedition and we rented bicycles directly from the hotel. We often enjoyed their delicious lunch. They have a great pool, great bathrooms and showers and the air conditioning worked great.
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who goes to La Digue and I highly recommend La Digue to all those going to the Seychelles.

Room Tip: We were in the rooms in "the chateau" but I visited the other rooms which looked great.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jacques d
France
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I stayed here with my partner for a couple of nights. I have been to La Digue quite a few times before but it was his first time on the island. I had heard about Chateau St Cloud as it was one of the only places that you used to be able to stay on La Digue along with La Digue Island Lodge. I understood from the staff that there had been an extensive refurbishment and it definitely feels this way. We had a villa on the hillside and I would definitely recommend this type of room - it is spacious with a separate bathroom (with bath tub) and a balcony to sit out on. To say that it is quite high up, it doesn't feel like there are too many steps to climb to get there but if you don't like steps then ask for a room by the pool.

The hotel is located about a 20 minute walk from the jetty and a 5/10 minute cycle away. It is not on a beach so you need to walk to the beach or cycle there but you can hire a bike easily from a place opposite the hotel and they just add it to your room bill. They have a pool, which looked great to relax by but as I was busy showing my other half the island, I did not have time to do this.

My only criticism of the hotel would be the food, which is just good-average but then Seychelles is not really a foodie destination. However I can say without a doubt that this is the best place I have stayed at on La Digue and it is really good value for money. The staff are really friendly and the service is excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms but if you want a great view, get a hillside villa.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We really enjoyed our visit at this hotel. Our room was fantastic, great view, lovely pool and gardens. We toured the island by bikes provided by the hotel. Madame Myriam is very friendly and gave us very good recommendations, she arranged a boat excursion for us to go snorkeling around Cocos Island and Felicite which was fantastic. Definitely going back to La Digue and Chateau St Cloud.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
#7 of 7 in La Digue Island
Le Duc de Praslin
Le Duc de Praslin
#4 of 12 in Anse Volbert

Been to Chateau St Cloud? Share your experiences!