“Beautiful hotel in a romantic setting”
Review of Chateau St Cloud

Chateau St Cloud
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in La Digue Island
Reviewed 12 January 2013

My boyfriend and I booked one night at Chateau before Christmas. After arriving via ferry, we were greeted by the owner. She was friendly and helpful. Our room was on the hill overlooking the beautiful gardens. It had been tastefully redecorated but still maintained it's antiquated charm.
Everything is immaculately maintained including the rooms, garden, and turtle pen.

After checkout, Myriam allowed us to leave our bags. We rented bikes and explored the whole island which is easy to do in just one day. La Digue is a beautiful little island and Chateuau St Cloud emulates it's charm.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 December 2012

After a real bumpy ride on the Cat Coco (the freaking ferry) we stayed at St Cloud. Complements to Myriam. She is lovely and helpful, she is keen on your stay and you get everything you need. Everything is nice, the garden, very lush. The beach is just around the corner (with bike) and everything else. The Island isn't that big. All you do, is in low gear and feels like time does not exist. The food is great, mostly local. Rooms are all very well redecorated/redone. Dont let the old photos fool you. If you have the time, take a hike. All in all, very great place. Certainly the island, the hotel and the Seychelles.

Room Tip: 2nd floor, looking into the garden/pool.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We spent three nights at this hotel which appeared to have been recently redone. Our room was on the second floor overlooking the pool and was a nice size. It had a full room-width balcony with sofa, 2 chairs, table and large drying rack. It was a little too hot for me to sit out there in the afternoon when the sun was out. A ceiling fan on the balcony might help. There was a large flat screen TV on the desk, 2 large closets with safe, plenty of tables for storage, a bench at the bottom of the bed, and mosquito netting above the bed (which we used). The closet smelled of stale cigarettes to me. I don't know if it was the varnish or if it was an old closet from a time when smoking was allowed in the rooms, but it was very strong. I was afraid my clothes were going to pick up the smell.

We turned the A/C and fan off when we went out the first day and Housekeeping opened the door to the balcony during the day and left it open so mosquitos flew in. The second day we had to leave the A/C on (which wasn't a good ecological practice) so they wouldn't do this again.

The bathroom looked new and was done in muted colors of beige and tan with interesting mosaic tiles in the shower and on the floor. There was a large marble counter with a flat style vessel sink. Under the sink was a large shelf so plenty of space for bathroom storage. The room contained a small stool too. The bathroom had 2 windows that opened into the bedroom which allowed some air conditioning to flow into the bathroom. The shower was a large corner shower with glass doors and the shower head placed overhead on a strip. Shampoo, shower gel and soap were provided. No body lotion.

Due to the configuration of the courtyard at the bottom of the stairs, we had to walk back over to the reception area to get to the pool or restaurant. I don't know why they didn't put a path through to make it convenient for people in the second floor rooms.

The grounds are lush and full of tropical plants, flowers and orchids. Every nook and cranny had something to notice - an orchid in bloom, a unique pot or sculpture, mosaic tiles, interesting stones and fountains. The pool area was very relaxing except for the day the staff children took over the area splashing and making lots of noise. We left and went back to our room.

We were on HB. Breakfast was pretty basic. The coffee was not good (bitter) the first day. The second day it tasted burnt. The third day I switched to tea. But instead of hot water where you could make a fresh cup, they had a pot of brewed tea sitting out. Dinners were a set menu or buffet. Some of the dinner items were good, some just average. They accomodated preferences if you couldn't eat what was available. HB did not get to order off the full menu. This should be disclosed when booking the HB option. Service was adequate. HB was a good option as I didn't really see too many restaurants when we were out touring, and I wouldn't have wanted to go riding around at night looking for somewhere to eat. The dining room was open air and I found it hot with no air circulation. There were ceiling fans but if they had them on at all, it was only in the inner part of the restaurant.

No free internet at the hotel. Cards were available for purchase from Reception ($8 for 1 hour over a 24-hour period) and the connection was fast. No free bottles of water. There were lots of bikes available. I expected bikes to be free on an island like this where bikes are the main way of getting around, but like everything else, there was a charge. 8 euros per bike per day. Staff was available to help you with your bike, adjusting the seat, putting air in the tires, etc. Most of the bikes had baskets so you could carry your snorkeling gear, towels, etc. I needed a new internet card at dinner time but there was I was told there was no one available in Reception after 6:30pm. I don't understand how a hotel can operate with no management or empowered person on site 24 hours. Or at least until after dinner is done.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank EWR-NJ-traveler
Reviewed 6 November 2012

La Digue was our second stop in Seychelles and true to our expectations, it looked like an oasis of peace and quiet. Chateau St.Cloud is an extension of the rest of the island where you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. The rooms were spotless and the restaurant was brilliant with a really high quality buffet. However, there is no "view" from the room as the one we had looked into the courtyard and given that the rates were fairly high (compared to other places we stayed in Seychelles), there was nothing that would make me want to come back and stay again. It is the kind of hotel, where you will be comfortable without being overly excited about staying

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nikz9169
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We recently stayed here, and it is a magical experience, totally charming.

The Evening Buffets are delicious and the Chef is fantastic.

Miriam the Owner is a delight, kind and willing to assist with any request. The pool area is perfect, and the rooms are large and spotless.

It is the perfect place to stay if you are visiting La Digue.

The staff are very helpful and the Island is too gorgeous for words.

Enjoy

Room Tip: Choose the New ones, next to the swimming pool
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank wayne020
Reviewed 12 July 2012

My friend (Chinese) and I (American) just went to stay 2 days on La Digue and our fabulous Hotel on Mahe recommended this place, Chateau St. Cloud. It's a beautiful hotel, for sure; the garden is absolutely spectacular.
But I became very ill with acute appendicitis our first night there. My room was far and up high and it was difficult to reach the desk on the phone until 8 am (after 3 hours) but that's not the problem.
The problem is that no one at this hotel took the slightest interest. Meaning, they could not bother calling a cab to take me to the public clinic. Nor to the helicopter which flew us back to Mahe in the afternoon. They did not bother to book us a taxi at the heliport in Mahe (even though the doctor asked them to) because they "were sure there would be plenty of taxis there."

They also didn't bother to tell me that there was a private clinic I could have gone to.
The owner insisted that my illness was from the rough crossing we encountered the day before. Even when the clinic called back to order my evacuation to Mahe, the hotel staff couldn't be bothered to lift a finger. They just charged us for the full two days, of course, despite us being there less than one, and then had the huevos to shove the guest register at me to ask my opinion!

I wound up in Mahé Casualty Hospital (Victoria) emergency ward, also a disaster. The place was chaotic and the staff argued amongst themselves. The surgeon, who had been alerted by the helicopter of my arrival, didn't show up for half an hour and was obviously pissed off when she did, I assume because her evening was ruined. No one knew what anyone else was doing, and I had no confidence in the situation and said so and this escalated it. We left to try and make a immediate flight back to the Gulf, where I live, but the airline would not let me fly--a good choice as it turned out.

The next morning I went to the private clinic, Euro-something, and the Russian Doctor was great but told me I had to do the surgery at the same hospital! But the surgeons were great, and the surgical ward was much, much better than the emergency room. My appendix did in fact rupture.

So I was happy they didn't let me fly, and grateful to the operating and women's ward staff at Victoria Casualty Hospital, but really I have nothing good to say about that disinterested hotel or the late night emergency room.

Seems to me that if you own a hotel and one of your guests is very ill, with something that might be life-threatening, you might show a little concern.

Although the hospital undoubtedly saved my life, the stress of trying to get someone to take me seriously and help me when I was sick left a strong mark on my opinion of the Seychelles. My overall impression was that I could die from disinterest if not hostility. My friend was not helpful as her English is limited and she has no idea how to function when traveling, which is something I didn't realize. And it wasn't that important until I became sick.

But this hotel could have shown some interest, called me a car, made a phone call or two. That would have made a big difference.

Will not go back.

Oh, FYI, it's Thursday, July 12. My operation was July 7. I am so thrilled to be back in Oman

Room Tip: The "garden" rooms are pretty
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
12  Thank absolutetrygve
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We came to La Digue after a week on Mahe, and really appreciated the contrast. Everyone we met was laid back and pleasant. The hotel is well ordered, and the staff seem to really want you to have a good time. The place is an oasis of peace and calm in the middle of a stress-free island. The ladies in the restaurant kept breaking into giggles, and the management couldn't have been more helpful. The highlight of our stay was a boat trip to swim with turtles off Isle de Coco, courtesy of Cliff, who is the St Cloud boatman, and a nice bloke to boot.Some of the bikes have had a hard life, and could do with a bit of tlc, but that is the only criticism we had. Overall, this was the highlight of our trip to the Seychelles.

Room Tip: Our pool view apartment was excellent, but the steps up were steep, and there were a lot of them - b...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
#7 of 7 in La Digue Island
Paradise Sun
Paradise Sun
#1 of 11 in Anse Volbert

Been to Chateau St Cloud? Share your experiences!